Close

Default Is it possible to wire Bluetooth to the OEM radio?

I could of sworn I saw someone with a 1990 or so Lincoln head unit since it had the green back lighting, but they somehow managed to hook up BT to it and it was for sale on eBay. I quickly looked at it and passed on as I was looking for the OEM 1985/1986 GT head unit with the red lights since I want the OEM look to the interior. The previous owner installed some Sony head unit with BT/SiriusXM and the trunk has some huge custom made subwoofer with two amps and is probably really expensive, but I honestly would prefer not to have it installed.

When I was dealing for the car he said he would take $400 off to remove the sound system and I told him sure, but I think he just didn't feel like doing it since I was planning to come up the very next week and purchase the car. Unfortunately the front speakers in the dash don't work and the sound comes purely out of the massive subwoofer box thing and two custom speakers in the rear that I think are Rockford Fosgate.

I like having BT and SiriusXM, but I don't really care about SiriusXm, since I pay for it and have it equipped on another vehicle and have the app on my phone, so as long as I have BT, I can just connect it to my Mustang and have SiriusXM in that car. Ideally I want the stock head unit with cassette player and remove the subwoofer, fix the front speakers, and install BT if that's somehow possible. Otherwise, i'll find a few good cassettes because I like the OEM look.
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

I think there are services out there that will add BT. You could also have someone add in an aux adapter, which would probably have better sound quality than BT. But the quickest, cheapest and easiest solution would be to go buy a cassette adapter and pop it in the cassette player and plug in to your phone. You can even get a Y-harness so you can charge your phone at the same time.

Thanks for the advice! I just need to find an 85/86 GT head unit or whenever that style head unit with the red back-light was made for a reasonable price. I've seen a few on eBay and people have been asking ridiculously high prices around $175 which I refuse to pay anywhere close to since this is something I really want, but I don't need at all.
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

Are you looking for the radio with the two posts for tuning and volume, or the electronic radio? Post a message in the "Parts - Wanted" section on the site here.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

My sons crown vic doesnt have a radio. Were thinking about putting a bluetooth amp in and running speaker wires and doing it that way.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    Are you looking for the radio with the two posts for tuning and volume, or the electronic radio? Post a message in the "Parts - Wanted" section on the site here.
    It's the one that came stock with red back lighting and said "Premium Sound", The volume button was next to the 4 buttons on top on the cassette player that said, bass, treb, speakers *front/rear). I'll check classifieds here.

When picking up another factory electronic radio, rear radio plug style has to be considered.
    M100, P100, others. Pigtails are available.
    If getting a radio from a pic a part yard, always cut down the harness to include them.
    Working radios like that in vg condition go for 15.00 and up. Helps to have the tool to remove them.

Universal bluetooth cassette adapters are available 10.00-20.00
    According to their website, local walmarts stock them.

Another style:
    https://www.amazon.com/GARDWENS-T25-...ts_id=13981621

Or use a fm transmitter that plugs into a 3.5mm jack. Tune the car radio to match freq of adapter and away you go.
    One AAA battery or rechargable.
    Tried it the other day plugged into a 20" tv. Picked up the tv audio on the home stereo, home theater, and several boomboxes.
    Connected to phone, plays mp3. Works with any audio source with a 3.5mm jack commonly used for headphones.

I installed an kenwood M1824BT under the passenger seat then ran the speaker wires behind the dash into the stock speakers. Head unit is stock but the sound comes from the phone via BT.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    I installed an kenwood M1824BT under the passenger seat then ran the speaker wires behind the dash into the stock speakers. Head unit is stock but the sound comes from the phone via BT.
    How does it sound BT running? Good volume out of it?
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    How does it sound BT running? Good volume out of it?
    Really good. I can shake the windows (I did the first day, but my wife told me to act my age )
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Interesting input guys. I guess I could technically just remove the Sony head unit to place under my passenger seat as one forum member did since I don't need to ever adjust it for anything at all or install a CD or hook up a 3.5mm headphone jack or use the USB input that comes with it to charge my phone. I guess I could take a long USB cable and plug it into a I simple hook it up to my SiriusXM App on my phone or just play iTunes on my phone. The only thing I really need it for is to adjust volume, since my phone can only go but so high, but if I were to adjust the head unit's volume as high as possible and make it so my phone reads that as being 50%, I would have quite a bit of room to to adjust the sound louder without having to physically touch any buttons on the head unit. I could also use the USB port and connect a decent size wire to a wireless charger or lightning cable.

Honestly I just prefer the look of the OEM radio with the red backlights. I took the car out today for a spin and opened the hatch and looked at the Sub/Amps/Speakers, box thing and have no idea how that would work or even sound decent with the stock radio.

My 86 GT is a couple years younger then I am and I don't understand this obsession to install a sound system to make your ears bleed or vibrate your windows until they brake. My Mach 460 in my 99 GT sounded perfect for a stock sound system, but i'm not an audiophile and I never forgot my car comes with 2 additional speakers connected to the ends of the mufflers

Lots of older car owners went to many loud rock concerts back in the 70's.
    Now they cant hear as good, need amped up car units do the job like they did back then.
    Not all the time, only during great songs. Lots of times i drive listening only to car harmonics and noises.
    Tv's too. Nothing like a good movie with sound effects that sound real.
    People that whisper on tv commercials or on an animal hunt drive me to change the channel immediately.
    Stock radios with aftermarket amps sound as good as any and are easiest to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Stock radios with aftermarket amps sound as good as any and are easiest to operate.
    I agree, aftermarket radios are usually so complex and small buttons
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

I get that, and can vouch for my Dad being one of those type of guys. He needs hearing aids and watches TV at his home with my Mom that is ear-deafening, but without it at hat level, he can't head a damn thing.

I almost bought a Red 86 and it had a 347 stroker, full suspension work (tubular K, full Team Z rear suspension), Corbeau GTS 2s, and a lot more. It was exactly what I was looking for and make 385/420 all motor. That is somewhere I aspire to be with my Mustang power-wise, all-motor, no PAs of any kind. My WRX was turbocharged from the factory and I of course tuned it for more power, my 99 GT had a Vortech S-Trim, then a single Garett 67mm turbo, also had Nitrous when I had the Vortech I believe. I had planned on going with E85 with the turbo set-up, but the project had to be scrapped after I started the equivalent of what a nicely modded WRX/STi or Mustang cost and just cut my loses. Anyways, I rambled on, but what I wanted to say is that car had no radio installed and that would be ok with me.

I just want the interior to look like it came right out of 1986, despite the steering wheel it has on it.

If the guy was willing to remove $400 to potential buyers without the sound system, I have to expect it's pretty decent set-up. While the custom made box takes up the entire hatch area. I know nothing about sound at all, so please don't fault me, the main big box has two big speakers in front, on the both sides I believe those all the subs, and on the rear it has 2 amps. One is a Kicker, the other is a Rockford Fosgate. The two other speaks that go where the stock ones go are replaced with 2 Rockford Fosgate ones.

I actually bought my 99 GT used on 06, but the car in completely OEM condition, not a single mod, and had 45k original miles. That had the Mach 460 sound system which was an option in 99, but I think came standard in later 01/02+ GTs. To me that sounded perfect. I didn't even change the head unit lol.