Close



Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Default Difference between foxes

    I have found a convertible in the yard and I am contemplating on cutting the front clip off right by the A pillar, as I may need some parts off of it in the future when dealing with my -86 hatch. Mine has been hit in the front and there are some areas of misalignment that I feel need to be corrected. Now, I am curious to as to where, if at all, they differ or if I am better off waiting for the correct donor to show up. I guess the convertible is an -87 or later. Better trained eyes and knowledge I hope will help out here.

    Thanks

    Name:  JY FOX VERT.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  408.9 KB

  2. #2
    FEP Power Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    Late 88 or newer based on the door mirrors.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 14 Mustang CS/GT,
    15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

  3. #3
    Moderator wraithracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO/RR TX
    Posts
    13,526

    Default

    I would guess based upon the mirrors and the front core support the vehicle is a 1988 or 89 model. The front core support, inner fenders, etc. are interchangeable with your 86 model. So if you need those parts that would be a good donor for you to use. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

    "I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

    "I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

    Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

    Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

  4. #4

    Default

    Thanks for your input, Gents.
    I have word from someone that 90 and later the towers are different. I don't know the year of this one so I need to check the VIN to confirm. My concern was since it is a convertible that it may have some stuff different than a what a hatch has. My idea is to grab what I *may* need for mine once I get to that point. It is not like there are that many of these in the yards around here.

  5. #5
    Moderator wraithracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO/RR TX
    Posts
    13,526

    Default

    If my memory is correct the 90-93 use a different front core support. The front bumper supports bolt on with two bolts into the core support. The one in the picture still shows the round hole with the square plate which should be 88-89 based on the door mirrors. The front structure is the same for convertibles, hatchbacks, and coupes. The Vert gets additional bracing underneath and the lower rocker panels are reinforced for added strength due to the removal of the roof. The floor pan is somewhat different also due to all of the afore mentioned parts. So basically using the cowl forward should not cause you any issues.

    The 90-93 strut towers are different, but that was an improvement in alignment specs. So truthfully if you used the towers with the front K member you would get the anti-dive improvements Ford built into the chassis for 90-93 if you were to use a 90-93. Double check the VIN on the vert in question, to verify. I think you will be just fine to use what you need and make the necessary repairs to your '86. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

    "I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

    "I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

    Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

    Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

  6. #6
    FEP Super Member bwguardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston (Clear Lake), Texas
    Posts
    4,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If my memory is correct the 90-93 use a different front core support. The front bumper supports bolt on with two bolts into the core support. The one in the picture still shows the round hole with the square plate which should be 88-89 based on the door mirrors. The front structure is the same for convertibles, hatchbacks, and coupes. The Vert gets additional bracing underneath and the lower rocker panels are reinforced for added strength due to the removal of the roof. The floor pan is somewhat different also due to all of the afore mentioned parts. So basically using the cowl forward should not cause you any issues.

    The 90-93 strut towers are different, but that was an improvement in alignment specs. So truthfully if you used the towers with the front K member you would get the anti-dive improvements Ford built into the chassis for 90-93 if you were to use a 90-93. Double check the VIN on the vert in question, to verify. I think you will be just fine to use what you need and make the necessary repairs to your '86. Good Luck!
    Trey, aren't the pillars...and windshield frame in general...different also?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

    HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

  7. #7
    FEP Supporter


    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Decatur Alabama
    Posts
    1,314

    Default

    I have done several from the strut tower forward. For me I have always used the same year. There are small differences from year to year and it just seems to work better. You can make a 79 fit an 93 with enough welding but things just dont line up correctly when you start putting the fenders and nose on. Just my thoughts.
    Kendal

  8. #8
    Moderator wraithracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO/RR TX
    Posts
    13,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Trey, aren't the pillars...and windshield frame in general...different also?
    Yes the windshield frame on the convertible is laid back at a steeper angle than the coupes, hatchbacks. If by pillars you mean the hinge posts, I am not aware of any major difference that would prevent them from working. There are differences from year to year, but the overall shape and size are essentially the same.
    ​Trey

    "I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

    "I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

    Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

    Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

  9. #9
    Moderator wraithracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO/RR TX
    Posts
    13,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    I have done several from the strut tower forward. For me I have always used the same year. There are small differences from year to year and it just seems to work better. You can make a 79 fit an 93 with enough welding but things just dont line up correctly when you start putting the fenders and nose on. Just my thoughts.
    I completely agree that using the same year model or at least a year model that is only one or two years older/newer is always the best option. There are definitely differences almost every year as Ford constantly updated the Fox as it aged. I have not run into any fitment issues when doing many of these repairs other than the standard tolerance issue with parts of that vintage. Even on all original Foxes I spend a lot of time getting the fit just right as most were not very accurate even when originally assembled. The tolerance range for Ford often feels like +/- 1/4" so that causes major fitment issues from one end of the vehicle to the other.
    ​Trey

    "I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

    "I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

    Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

    Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

  10. #10
    FEP Super Member bwguardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston (Clear Lake), Texas
    Posts
    4,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Yes the windshield frame on the convertible is laid back at a steeper angle than the coupes, hatchbacks. If by pillars you mean the hinge posts, I am not aware of any major difference that would prevent them from working. There are differences from year to year, but the overall shape and size are essentially the same.
    No, I am talking about the driver and passenger sides uprights for the windshield frame. I believe they are setback like you alluded to, and maybe longer for better anchoring.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

    HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

  11. #11
    Moderator wraithracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO/RR TX
    Posts
    13,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    No, I am talking about the driver and passenger sides uprights for the windshield frame. I believe they are setback like you alluded to, and maybe longer for better anchoring.
    I know the A pillar posts are laid back at a steeper angle, but I am not sure on any additional length or better anchoring.
    ​Trey

    "I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

    "I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

    Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

    Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

  12. #12
    FEP Power Member qtrracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,811

    Default

    Yes, the windshield is laid back on the verts but across years I believe it's at the same angle. For example, I've used 84 vert doors and 93 vert frame and top on my 86 vert.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •