Close



Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Default 4 eye twin turbo setups-I wanna see your engine bay!

    So the time has come to start my turbo fab on my 86 coupe-however I noticed I canít really follow a generic formula like on the aero cars bc the headlight recess of the front clip. Iíd like to see whatís been done, what works, and overall fit and turbo location. Thanks!
    86GT-93LX-95GT

  2. #2

    Default

    I have to ask, why a twin turbo setup?
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!

  3. #3
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,782

    Default

    See Fletch's historic twin turbo info.

    http://www.carbdford.com/fletch/tech/turbo/turbo.htm

    Ak Millers twin turbo 82 Capri 351W

    "https://www.google.com/search?q=ak+miller+twin+turbo+capri&client=ms-android-samsung&hl=en-NZ&prmd=isvn&sxsrf=ALeKk03k2vupVxH6NQtADnKuWJRh2nx 3fQ:1613723673818&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2a hUKEwiej9-SxfXuAhW6_XMBHfp_CGQQ_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=360&bih=61 5"

    Ak Millers V8 single turbo 4.2/ 5.0. Basic idea allows two turbos to fit in a similar manner to only one.

    "https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-FORD-MUSTANG-CAPRI-AK-MILLER-TURBOCHARGED-HOT-ROD-ORIGINAL-ARTICLE-/382884429143"

  4. #4
    Moderator wraithracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO/RR TX
    Posts
    13,526

    Default

    I don't understand how the headlights affect the twin turbo placement compared to an Aero car. The core supports are almost identical in many ways. I am not sure how the aero headlights would provide any additional clearance if that is what you are saying. Either way, good luck with the build and definitely post it here on FEP. I would love to do a twin turbo setup on my 79 PC, but just not sure when I will have the time and the funds. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

    "I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

    "I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

    Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

    Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shauncb View Post
    I have to ask, why a twin turbo setup?
    Well I’ve built everything else over the last 20 years except a twin turbo car. My goal is to make a 4 digit rwhp car with a stock hood, stock style suspension, and a non tubular front end past the strut towers
    86GT-93LX-95GT

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    See Fletch's historic twin turbo info.

    http://www.carbdford.com/fletch/tech/turbo/turbo.htm

    Ak Millers twin turbo 82 Capri 351W

    "https://www.google.com/search?q=ak+miller+twin+turbo+capri&client=ms-android-samsung&hl=en-NZ&prmd=isvn&sxsrf=ALeKk03k2vupVxH6NQtADnKuWJRh2nx 3fQ:1613723673818&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2a hUKEwiej9-SxfXuAhW6_XMBHfp_CGQQ_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=360&bih=61 5"

    Ak Millers V8 single turbo 4.2/ 5.0. Basic idea allows two turbos to fit in a similar manner to only one.

    "https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-FORD-MUSTANG-CAPRI-AK-MILLER-TURBOCHARGED-HOT-ROD-ORIGINAL-ARTICLE-/382884429143"
    Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I don't understand how the headlights affect the twin turbo placement compared to an Aero car. The core supports are almost identical in many ways. I am not sure how the aero headlights would provide any additional clearance if that is what you are saying. Either way, good luck with the build and definitely post it here on FEP. I would love to do a twin turbo setup on my 79 PC, but just not sure when I will have the time and the funds. Good Luck!
    Trey- anything aero I have mocked up for people in the past has been on a aero car. Turbo inlet orientation I’ve always had forward facing and could run a longer conical filter through the headlight holes in the radiator core support. Just mocking up the turbos with this 86 front end I noticed that there’s not as much real estate as a 87-93 front end
    86GT-93LX-95GT

  7. #7
    Moderator wraithracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO/RR TX
    Posts
    13,526

    Default

    If you are talking about a drag setup that pulls air through the Aero headlight area, then I can see what you are saying. I was assuming you were talking about the area behind the core support where the headlight support mounts and all the electrical connections are. I appear to have made the incorrect assumption this was a twin turbo setup for a street car with all headlights, etc. in place as stock. Either way, good luck and we would love to see your progress!
    ​Trey

    "I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

    "I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

    Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Ongoing RestoModification
    1984 SVO Awaiting Restoration
    1986 GT Wrecked by PO, but still want to save!

    Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Underway
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

  8. #8
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,782

    Default

    The lost art of of early upstream Callaway style blue 54 pound injection augmentation to an already EFi car was actually an Ak Miller idea. He did it with propane first, adding an adaptor on top of a gasoline carb. Then to get emissions compliance both Reeves Callaway, Ken Duttweiler and Australian David Inal from AIT copied the idea.

    Or at least, used the same process. Instead of having just port EFI, they had an extra set of injectors for fuel enrichment under boost.


    The Ak Miller process of mounting the turbo(s) easily is a lost art.




























  9. #9
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,782

    Default

    The 1982 Mercury Cougar XR7 255 and two Ford Capri and Mercury Capri 5.0 turbo conversions were something that would have worked great with two turbos


























  10. #10
    FEP Super Member xctasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dunedin 9011, New Zealand, South Pacific
    Posts
    3,782

    Default

    Hmm, upstream injectors were 46 lb's

    Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    The 5.0 CFi 150 and 155 hp blue 46 pound injectors were used as an extra "auxiliary" fuel supply in the 104 hp stronger 255 hp Falcon Turbo in 1983 to 1987.

    Started off with a stock 149 hp Port EFI, then got a twin scroll T03 60 turbo, and the first use of the USA Auxiliary Fuel computer.

    By 1985, 161 to 164 hp stock, and still the same 255 hp turbo option, using the same components.


    So this is a stock EFi Bosch LE-ii or EECIV fuel injected car, with 100% factory EFi, and just an auxiliary fuel supply ECM.


    I am indebted to my ex Ford shop foreman Alan and mate Richard and Reeve Callaway, who gave great info on the stock American TBi and Bank fire Port EFi fuel systems.









  11. #11

    Default

    That’s a cool bit of history above! Thanks for sharing!

    Now if I could find a way to post pics I’d share some of my progress
    86GT-93LX-95GT

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmurf View Post
    That’s a cool bit of history above! Thanks for sharing!

    Now if I could find a way to post pics I’d share some of my progress
    Is it not allowing you to click the Go Advanced tab below message box,then click Add Files tab,then Choose Image in your photo gallery,upload and click that photo to add it to your post??

  13. #13

    Default

    Wow
    that’s a great bit of info thanks!
    79 Zephyr, 4v/4r70w swap planned, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs.

  14. #14

  15. #15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •