Close

83CapriEFI

Default Dual Exhaust - Move the brake line?

Yikes, I missed one thing with my EFI conversion. It looks like I'll need to relocate the brake line to the rear wheels before I can put the rest of the exhaust on. Any recommendations on how to do this or where to find parts?

83Dominator

I to will need to do this any info would be great.

Getting parts from a donor car is the easiest route. You need to relocate the brake line on the body so it will attach in front of the middle of the rear axle instead of to the passengers side. The original passengers side routing will interfere with the exhaust routing. Then the best thing to get is the original hard brake line off the axle of a later model Fox bodied mustang. If not then you'll need to purchase a new brake hose and bend new lines to meet the new brake union which will now be in the middle of the axle instead of off to the passengers side.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

83CapriEFI

Just finished this last night about 2:00am!

No problem. I started by pulling out the rear brake lines all the way back to the coupler in the engine compartment near the right fender wall - then I changed my mind and reinstalled most of the line. The last section before the flex hose that was in the muffler area I pulled back and rerouted along with the parking brake cable up above the drive shaft. From here on I bought a new brake line and coupler to continue above the driveshaft towards the differential. I bought a new flex hose, adapter, and tee. Then used two new brake lines to get back to the brakes (in my case rear discs). I reused the bracket at the differential and found a couple other brackets to support the new line above the driveshaft. I think I will probably put beefier brackets at both ends of the flex hose but I tested the movement by bouncing the rear end and feeling the ends of the steel lines for any rotation or movement and it looks good. Total cost $37.

83CapriEFI

One more thing. . . the breather tube on the axle that was holding down the tee at the end of the flex line. . . I cut about a half inch of the threads with a hacksaw, ran a die over the threads (7/16 20), and reinstalled it. Not sure if it would have been sticking down too far if I hadn't cut it but I didn't want to take a chance.

83Dominator

I just got what was supposed to be a brake line for a late model.

Not sure if it is right It has a funny looking bracket with a "T" fitting to go to the rear wheels, but the other end has a banjo fitting like a caliper hose.

Is there and adapter to go from the banjo fitting to a regular flare fitting?