Close

Default Vin number decode

Hi there guys. I have been here for years just looking around etc. I'm looking to buy a 1983 Capri. I did a car fax check and does not stipulate if is a Capri RS. It is a V8, but don't see the option of RS. Here is the Vin number1MEBP79F7DF615649. It is hard to communicate with the person who owns it due to him going to college and rarely answers my questions. I have pictures of the car on the front Fenders with the RS lettering. I would like to know who was the previous owner. Thanks for the help.

Edgar
    Last edited by wickdgt; 02-20-2021 at 08:15 PM.

Cannot tell what model it is from the VIN. RS and GS had the same VIN codes starting in 1983. For that you need the buck tag.

1ME = Mercury vehicle manufactured in USA by Ford Motor Company
    B = active belts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    79 = Capri 3-door sedan (hatchback)
    F = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    7 = VIN check digit
    D = 1983 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    615649 = 15,649th 1983 Mercury scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

1979-80
    14 = Capri/Capri RS/Capri Turbo RS
    16 = Capri Ghia

1981-82
    67 = Capri/Capri L/Capri RS/Capri Turbo RS/Capri Black Magic
    68 = Capri GS

1983-86
    79 = Capri/Capri L/Capri GS/Capri RS/Capri 5.0L/Capri Black Magic/Capri Crimson Cat
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks for the info. I'll try to get the door tag or the tag at the radiator core.

Door tag may or may not help. Depends on the manufacture date for one, and if a specific manufacture date, for two whether there is an "AC" code or not. Buck tag is really the best way for a 1983 model.

FYI: That air dam in the picture is not original. 1983 RS models did not have an air dam from the factory. And the car has been repainted -- that's not a factory color -- so the RS stickers were added after the repaint. And the cowl and pinned hood is not original. And 5-lug. And ...
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 02-16-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Oh I know the car has been heavy modified. I'm looking for a real Capri RS between 84-86. Thanks for the information.

Ok guys, I found one in AZ Is a 1985 RS, I'm going by the RS in the trim and the tag from the radiator. and is coming my way. My Son lives in AZ and went and check it out. Finally after 25 yrs I got one. Need some work but I'll get to my specs. Here is a picture of the front tag by the radiator. The red Circle that has the letter CRS, doe this stand for Capri RS or I'm in left field.
    Thanks for the help:

Edgar
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by wickdgt; 02-20-2021 at 08:17 PM.

Yes, CRS on the buck tag means Capri RS. Even when Capri RS was renamed Capri 5.0L the CRS code remained.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder