Close

Default Gear when on decel, otherwise quiet

Drove the project today! Whoot! Only issue was if you let off the throttle it had a loud gear whine sound. I know trans and rear were full, but will check them again.

Any other thoughts on things to check?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Wear pattern in gears? Bad rear end setup would be my guess.

Kenny

Always a potential. I had a pro 4WD shop build the rear end. The sound sounded closer to the trans. But going to check all I can. First the fluids, then alignment of parts, etc.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

Problem solved. Put it up on blocks. Checked trans - fluid full and clean looking. Checked rear - dry! Turns out the shop I had build the rear delivered it dry. I called them and they said that's what they do, they usually write 'no oil' or similar on the rear housing. It's NOT written on there anywhere I can see. Like an idiot, that was the ONE thing I didn't check.
    Going to fill it, drive it drain it, fill it. If all good (quiet) for the next couple months, then ok. If not I told the shop I would be calling them back. They said that was fair.

My test drive was under 2.5 miles and all easy use.

Great you checked. Just be glad you didnt have a 9 inch. The pinion overlap on those is huge and you cant survive 100 miles without the right oil. Good call RP.

Ouch. Hope you dont need to go back to the shop.

It sounded like gears. Pulled tranny plug and good clean ATF started to dribble out, went to the rear and found the drain plug not even finger tight.
    Only a couple easy miles so am hoping all is good. Even during those couple miles I clutch in coasted because that made it quiet so I figure it's ok.
    Will try to attach a video clip if I can...
    Tapatalk won't let me.

I just feel like an idiot not checking that.

Drove it yesterday. Very little whine with gentle acceleration is all. Going to drain and refill, see what comes out.
    Stopped at the truck scale, too. With me and the wife on board (about 375 pounds. No, I won't provide the split lol!) The car with a full tank weighed in just a bit over 3000. Like 3050. I usually weigh a car with a half tank for 'average' so will do it again and be a bit more accurate.
    Talk about throttle response! That Fitech is great! I do need to tinker with the idle settings one more time, but easier than messing with floats/springs/jets.