Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finally running right!

After pulling the intake twice due to a bad set of lifters (one made noise right out of the gate, the other started after less than 45 mins of run time) I am cautiously optimistic that the motor is sealed up for good. It idles well (after tweaking with the IAC steps for like half an hour) with the Fitech. I had to significantly modify a V8 throttle bracket to fit (drilled new holes, did a little grinding) so the new V8 cable lined up properly, but it is all good now.
    Today my plan is to work on getting brakes (new stainless lines up front to later model calipers) and all new lines out back so there is still air in there. Once that is good I can road test!! Short drive of course since it has only had an eyeball alignment.
    Car is an '81 Granada 4-door. For whatever reason it came from the factory with a clutch quadrant, not direct pull, clutch so that was nice. Car was mechanically gutted and EVERYTHING has been replaced as new, basically '89 specs (PS pump/rack from '89, etc). It has taken a while since all I have now is a carport, and a shallow one at that.
    Anywho, I hope to be driving some break in miles within the next couple weeks or so. Weather permitting as at least one window is missing half the run channel seal (I have a brand new NOS one to install).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

If they did that what would the result be? A three-door (hatchback?)? LOL!
    I will post a pic of the car now as that one was taken by the PO the year before I bought it from him. Soon.

Last edited by richpet; 02-07-2021 at 04:09 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

So a project is never finished, but... Taken today. Still need to: Paint hood and roof, window run channel. Of course the wheels have smooth center caps. Bleed brakes...

The stereo hole is going to be covered with a nice piece of hobby plywood, painted, and I am going to out a Ford oval on it. I installed a pretty stainless steel coolant overflow tank in front of the rad on the core support. Amber fog/driving lights mounted behind grill just over bumper height.

You can see my wall of relays on the driver side fender for driving lights, carb'ed fuel pump, HEI dizzy, and Fitech. I put a power distribution block there so it is just one heavy cable going around instead of a bunch of thin wires (hence the extra red battery cable). I may eventually cover that side with some heat reflective sheet to partially hide and protect them.

Speaking off the record, I cannot ever give you any grief at all for using the HEI.

In 1993, a sat in an HEI equipped LT1 350 powered 63 Chev at, maybee, 110 mph. Going up an 8% gradient hill, under a bridge. On the State Highway. Only, I wasn't driving, Officer. I was "passengering". That's a 3500 pound car with 265 rwhp, a 295 advertised at lash 525 thou lift hydraulic cam, 780 cfm Holley and everything else 1970 Z28 360 hp gross LT1. Only it had a THM 350 to drive through with 308:1 gears.

When it works right, the HEI is great. It also doesn't upset the Fitech. The TFi and Duraspark aren't great with Fitech, the spark pickups are aggressive.

Nice choices.

It must be great to have it idling and being so trouble free.

It is, thanks! Car has been in that spot for two years. It really needs to start moving.

Last edited by richpet; 02-13-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Oh Nice. Once step closer.

I spy a console delete in there. I know nothing about these models. You mentioned that your car was manual to begin with, so was that there from factory?

I have one for my Vic but it just does not fit with the factory split bench seats. Buckets one day maybe for me. I settled for carefully cutting the carpet and using a hurst super boot to create a super clean look...bezel BELOW the carpet and first rib of boot above carpet. Stealth.

I appreciate the builds on the less common less expected to be modified models that much more and love it when people share what they have done.

Yup it was factory console free. I looked at the numbers last year and this particular model/set up was very uncommon.

Drove it today!! But, lots of gear whine on deceleration. Going to check fluid levels.
    Sounded great going forward!

I also not a fan of that HEI , but other than that , that is a cleanest looking Granada I have ever seen !
    1993 triple white GT
    2004 AZ Mach 1
    2003 zinc yellow Cobra
    1983 410 Windsor tko 500

Quote Originally Posted by 2camsam View Post
    I also not a fan of that HEI , but other than that , that is a cleanest looking Granada I have ever seen !
    Lol. There are many ways to Roam. There are Harry Potter Cloaks of Invisibility you can add.

There are also separate coil HEI caps, with a range of "not colors" for 69 bux.

Clear is not a color,
    black is not a color,
    yadda yadda yadda...

But its like the same low hanging fruit observations as the anti four stud wheel Fox brigade.

Ask a Maserati Indy owner how a 300 hp 4.9 liter 3700 pound car coped with 165 mph and 13.9 second quarters.

Ask me how Delco Remy points, UIS and HEI ruled the Pontiac world from 1973 to 1974. Ford was doing the same thing at the same time.

Nice work, personal choice is personal choice.

Lots of options for sure. So much just depends on where one wants to spend time and money.
    The 8.8 is from a 95 mustang, but I put the 81 brake lines and drums on it ( well, drums from an 89 V8 ). I just didn't feel like the hassle of converting to rear disc. I will drive rapidly on occasion sure, but always within the limits of my rear drums. I'm ok with that. And yes, I stayed 4-lug.
    Ignition- I went for fairly simple and fairly clean. I love those caps with the wires coming out the correct sides! But I kept the 7-8 302 non-ho firing order. No reason. Just did. Probably just forgot to buy a cam with the ho order.
    I did (fairly certain) find and correct the whine issue.
    But, this ice storm hitting the PNW right now has me not even trying to drive it. No ice here, but we're on the edge.

The only thing at this point I don't like about the HEI is it limits my air cleaner choices more than I would like.

Last edited by richpet; 02-13-2021 at 03:41 PM.

Love the air cleaner and ignition and EFi choices. Don't hide the Edlebrock heads and all your efforts. Your choices make your ride sumptous and different without being weird.

As a kid I had GM and Mopar family cars. That body color is similar to the up spec version the 55 to 65 GM and Dodges had. It really pops. The Fox Grannys were an interesting mixture of X car 75-80 Surrogate Mercedes 280E W123 74-84 styling with some of the nicest parts of the GM G body styling ques. Every choice is a winner and Ill bet it really crackels with that drive train.

Well done. Another Fitech Success. Great work.

Yes, the HEI is just toooo big! it takes away the clean look of a ford motor IMO but hey its yours lol
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Made the car a little faster yesterday... Added some stickers to the window.

Wow! Throttle response is awesome! I love this Fitech! Car has a butt load of power 2-5 k! Definitely quicker than my last mustang build.

Weather is supposed to be good tomorrow here and at the coast. That means road trip over the mountains for lunch in Florence! It will be a good 140 mile round trip. Feel the corners a bit, play a little, make noise. It has around 60 miles on it right now so 'break in' is going well.
    Looking forward to better weather so I can sand and paint the roof/hood.

Just drove the 80 ish miles to Florence. Love it! Plenty of beans for passing, awesome sound!

Currently doing the 500/600 mile initial service. Diff oil, motor oil done. Need to drain/refill trans. Read the plugs and most are good but some are richer than others. Going to modify my dual plane by grinding out a notch in the divider so the Fitech can breath more evenly. Been told they prefer single plane manifolds or a spacer because of that. I don't have the hood clearance for a spacer so out comes the Dremel tool!
    Also going to check intake and head bolt torque.

So I cut a portion of the divider out of my dual plane intake. Some cylinders were looking rich, some leaner when looking at the plugs. With the FiTech a lot of folks solved this with a spacer. I don't have the hood clearance for that, nor do I want to install a single plane.
    Anyway did the deed, reset the IAC steps and it seems to run great!! To work and back today, 30 when I left, 70 this afternoon. Heavy Eugene traffic and open road. About 60 miles today.

FEP Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the fitech trick. Keep us informed as to how it works

So far so good. I just don't have the clearance for a spacer. Idles well, starts great... Feels like it has a great set of gonads! The 2-5k range is phenomenal!

I have a new set of plugs and plan to pull these to read them in another one or two hundred miles. Since it's running great I don't feel pressured to do it immediately.

For those curious I have not read the plugs yet, but I drove the car around 250-300 miles this last week. Idles well and runs well. Think I am going to have to wait to read the replacement plugs though and not the ones in there since the current set already was off. Planning that this week as I have park d the car and gone back to the motorcycle this week for work travel.

New plugs in. Drove about 50 miles today. Seems to run well. Weird fact though:
    I put a 180° t-stat in when built.
    Mechanical gauge in upper hose reads constant 170-200. I have the electric fans set to come on about 190°.
    Fitech comp screen shows 20° or so less all the time. But it seems to run well, so, I guess I'll go with it.
    Just seems odd.
    One reads from the t-stat housing, one from the intake. Mechanical gauge is in the upper hose.

Last edited by richpet; 05-01-2021 at 06:08 PM.

there could be a air pocket in the cooling system, what I do is find a plastic bottle that the neck of it is a tight fit, then cut off the bottom then fill up about half with coolant start and run till warm and then the air will bubble out as the thermostat opens
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

It could also be because one is in front of the thermostat and one after it. The SVE aluminum radiator and electric fan kit I think are working great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast