Close

Question lower accent paint 1985GT

I am in the process of repainting my 1985 Mustang GT with Dark charcoal lower accent paint (XP) 1 of 461 built with that paint and trim code Marti report and wondering if anyone has information on whether Ford painted that first before the main body color, or masked up after. There was no main white body color under the original charcoal finish.

The two different paints would meet under the body molding for most of the car. There are some areas that do not have the molding where they meet, like in the door jamb and wheel well areas. I don't recall what mine showed, but that will tell which one was painted first and last with a lip detected either up or down.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Thanks for that it looked like the white was painted first as there was very little white overspray under the lower edge of the rocker panels and onto the floor pans, unfortunately the pictures before I dismantled the car don't actually show the overlap clearly enough in the door jams.