Close

Thread: 4180C Rebuild

Default 4180C Rebuild

I'm planning on attempting to rebuild my 4180C in my 84 GT. I have read through many of the threads about this rebuild. So far I have bought the Holley Rebuilding & Modifying book and plan to order the 3-1346 rebuild kit. I'd like some advice on what else I need for this rebuild.

Most of the threads about this rebuild are on cars with performance increases in mind. My car has only 9,300 miles on it, and aside from a welded in Magnaflow muffler is bone stock. The carb is leaking gasoline onto the heat shield under the carb when the engine is running. The leaking fuel is all the way around the base of the carb, but seems to be leaking worst from the accelerator pump as I can see drops of fuel from the bolts. I assume this leaking is from gasket failure due to not being driven very much. So, despite the fact that I have never taken a carb apart before, I decided to try to rebuild this one myself.

Since the car is so original I'd like to rebuild the carb to factory specs, but would like to know if there are parts that should be replaced or upgraded during the rebuild. I'm not really concerned about performance increases on this one (I have a completely non-stock 83 Hatch for that), but if there is anything I should upgrade for better drivability I'd like to do this during the rebuild.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Post #4 has all the links. JACook and many others including walkingtall's past posts will answer your every question.

See

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...vs-aftermarket

Do it yoursekf. Don't trust nobody else...The spare parts industry is fine but never undress your carb and remove items of jewlery untill you have perfect parts in your hands. The parts interchange for gaskets and o rings is hard work. So is the cleaning process, with some cleaners not for use on Holleys coated parts. Read and enjoy and ask. I'm an emissions guy. Setting the idle and having no off idke stumble is easy. Its okay to change jets and power valves and squirters and accelertor pumo cam settings and to adjust the Hot Idle Compensator Valve, but ill bet money the leak is just a simple O ring seal or HICV leak. Some hairline cracks can happen. Take a photo and you can try some stabik fuel to color the gas leak so you can trace it.

Carb is French for "dont screw with it" any more. The whole world has learned some sage truths on what the 4180C likes and needs.