Close

FEP Member

Default Increasing front track width

1986 Mustang. IRS swap in the rear.
    Front has 94-95 spindles, stock LCA with new style ball joints. Stock K-member.

Would like to bring the track width in the front out closer to where it is in the rear (3” over stock I believe).

I have heard 03-04 LCA will get me 2” or so.

Not opposed to swapping k-members, but I would consider it a last resort.

Anyone have experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got 04' Mustang LCA's on the front of my car with 05' GT 17x8 wheels and 245/45-17 tires. Camber in these pics is just over -1 degree, currently running -.7ish both sides. Can easily turn full lock to lock with no rubbing.

IMO the SN95 arms in the front will match nicely with the IRS, especially when used with S197 wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Two86fiveoh's View Post
    I've got 04' Mustang LCA's on the front of my car with 05' GT 17x8 wheels and 245/45-17 tires. Camber in these pics is just over -1 degree, currently running -.7ish both sides. Can easily turn full lock to lock with no rubbing.

IMO the SN95 arms in the front will match nicely with the IRS, especially when used with S197 wheels.
    Thanks for the input. Currently have 99 GT wheels with 245/45’s. I would prefer they tuck a little better in the rear, but it is what it is for now.

We have a set of 96 GT wheels that are supposed to fit a little better, but I want to have them reconditioned first.

Car needs new inner tie rod ends anyway, so we will probably do it all at once. Now I just have to decide if I want the stock bushings or urethane.

Here's a pic of the rear with stock width fox 8.8 and SN-95 axles. 1/4" Spacers were added shortly after this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jeremiah

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Two86fiveoh's View Post
    Here's a pic of the rear with stock width fox 8.8 and SN-95 axles. 1/4" Spacers were added shortly after this picture.
    This is the best shot I have to show the rear.

FEP Member

You can kinda see where we are sitting up front here

I think the higher offset offered by the S197 wheels (using these would pull the rear tires inward .59" each side assuming 30mm offset for 17x8 99' wheels vs 45mm offset for 17x8 S197 wheels) would remedy the issue in the rear and it works great in the front with the SN95 arms.

EDIT---I'm running the stock 86' k-member.
    Last edited by Two86fiveoh's; 02-05-2021 at 05:05 PM.
    Jeremiah

BTW--Nice car, love the notches. I sold my 86 notch over 10 years ago and have regretted it since.
    Jeremiah

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86lx View Post
    Currently have 99 GT wheels with 245/45’s. I would prefer they tuck a little better in the rear, but it is what it is for now.

We have a set of 96 GT wheels that are supposed to fit a little better, but I want to have them reconditioned first.
    '96 GT and '99 GT wheels will have the same dimensions - they're both 17x8", 5.72" backspacing (so ~31mm offset).
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

I did this on my 86 GT. The k-member a-arm pickups are inboard .5" on each side when compared to the 87+ v8 Mustangs. So, to compensate for more rear track width, I ran the stock 03 Cobra a-arms together with the 94/95 spindles. The Cobra arms are about 1.25" longer than the stock Fox arms which increased track width a full 2.5" over stock. Add in the slight increase from the spindles and you have a nice combo.

But, when I first did this I was running a conventional Ford "C" spring and a 96 Cobra 17x8 wheel with 245/45/17s. The extra leverage on the spring dropped the front of the car so much that the tires badly contacted the fender when I turned or hit bumps. This was without fender mods. Rather than put stock springs back in (which by the way did not guarantee a fix), I bought an MM C/O conversion kit for Bilsteins and put a 300# spring on it. This allowed me to raise the car enough to clear the unmodded fender and with the extra negative camber the arms provided the tires cleared. Final ride height was about 25-3/8" ground to lip.

Quote Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
    I did this on my 86 GT. The k-member a-arm pickups are inboard .5" on each side when compared to the 87+ v8 Mustangs. So, to compensate for more rear track width, I ran the stock 03 Cobra a-arms together with the 94/95 spindles. The Cobra arms are about 1.25" longer than the stock Fox arms which increased track width a full 2.5" over stock. Add in the slight increase from the spindles and you have a nice combo.

But, when I first did this I was running a conventional Ford "C" spring and a 96 Cobra 17x8 wheel with 245/45/17s. The extra leverage on the spring dropped the front of the car so much that the tires badly contacted the fender when I turned or hit bumps. This was without fender mods. Rather than put stock springs back in (which by the way did not guarantee a fix), I bought an MM C/O conversion kit for Bilsteins and put a 300# spring on it. This allowed me to raise the car enough to clear the unmodded fender and with the extra negative camber the arms provided the tires cleared. Final ride height was about 25-3/8" ground to lip.
    Wow...same exact issue for me and that is going to be my fix also. You wouldn't think that little extra leverage would make such a drastic change in ride height.

Kenny

FEP Member

We have a new set of 99-04 a-arms in the garage waiting to be installed. Springs in the front are from Steeda currently. I guess we will see where this takes us.

The front of my car dropped nearly 1/2" with the SN95 arms.

The S197 wheels work great with the SN95 arms, I have zero rubbing issues and have enough clearance to run 255's on the front with room to spare.
    Jeremiah

On my 86, I ran three sets of wheels: 01 Cobra 17x8 with 255/40s; 96 Cobra 17x8 with 245/45s; and 95 Cobra R 17x9 with 255/45 Hosier track tires. All of these fit without modding the fenders. However, the Cobra Rs being wider needed more height and negative camber to work. I also had to remove the .5" spacers I ran on the rear with the other wheels. Otherwise a great mod for the 4-eye if corner-carving is big on the to do list.

FEP Member

Change in plans. New Edge arms are going back and we are going tubular with coil overs.

Change in plans. New Edge arms are going back and we are going tubular with coil overs.
    Ultimately, I did too using MM's pieces. After years and years finally finished the car last June. But Covid and Winter has kept it garaged until yesterday. Such a beautiful day, just had to take it out and get some pics.
    Name:  86 DS Top Down.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  22.0 KB

FEP Member

Default Increasing front track width

Ultimately, I did too using MM's pieces. After years and years finally finished the car last June. But Covid and Winter has kept it garaged until yesterday. Such a beautiful day, just had to take it out and get some pics.
    Name:  86 DS Top Down.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  22.0 KB
    Amazing looking vert

I dig the hood louvers. Can you provide any information on them?

Amazing looking vert
    Thanks. Nearly 5 years in the making and that was after much of the suspension and brakes were already done.

I dig the hood louvers. Can you provide any information on them?
    Sure. Track Spec makes car specific and universal vents (https://trackspecmotorsports.com/). Mine is a universal called the GT2. We molded it into the hood. Otherwise rivets or screws fasten it on.

FEP Member

A few hours and a few hundred dollars later I think we achieved what we wanted.

Maximum Motorsports tubular a-arms and coilovers. The look and ride quality is much improved. Still need to align and possibly trim the fender extensions a little bit. But other than that, it’s good to go.

I wish we could have kept it as low as it was sitting in the photo with it on the ramps. The other photo is where we set the ride
    height for now. We still may come up a little bit.

Default Mm ca

'Maximum Motorsports tubular a-arms and coilovers. The look and ride quality is much improved. Still need to align and possibly trim the fender extensions a little bit. But other than that, it’s good to go.'

Did you use Fox or SN95 a arms?

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by BossP351 View Post
    'Maximum Motorsports tubular a-arms and coilovers. The look and ride quality is much improved. Still need to align and possibly trim the fender extensions a little bit. But other than that, it’s good to go.'

Did you use Fox or SN95 a arms?
    I think the new ones are SN95 length.

Based upon what appears to be negative camber in the photos, I would guess the lower control arms are SN95 length.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Based upon what appears to be negative camber in the photos, I would guess the lower control arms are SN95 length.
    I agree. We have since added some camber which of course pushed the top of the tire out a bit. It’s still under the fender lip, but just barely.