Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Factory 84 tape deck issues.

Hey guys, so I decided today to see if my factory tape deck would work in my 84. When I turn on the key it will light up with the rest of the dash lights but there is no power to it. Tried hooking up a couple of little desk top speakers in the rear and I get nothing. Not even static from the radio. Popped a tape in and can't hear it fast forward or rewind. It's got no power. Checked the number 11 fuse and it seems good. It's not blown but it is old. Anybody have any suggestions on what to try next? Is there a on and off switch on the knobs that I'm missing? I don't feel a click to turn it on. I would love to have this thing work cause I've got a ton of old tapes that would be awesome to play in this thing when it's ready to hit the road.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Forgot to mention, it's the premium sound stereo with the auto reverse and factory amp.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Got it working. It was a stuck on/off volume knob. Had to force it to the right and left a couple times and now it works. Anybody know what I can spray on the controls to loosen them up a bit? Also unfortunately the tape deck doesn't work. It plays tapes really slow to the point where it barely moves the tape and it eats them. Already lost meat loafs bat out of hell lol. Will a tape cleaner help this problem or is it something that will need to be fixed. Belts etc
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

If the belts are hardened with age (virtual certainty) they could spin on the posts and not turn the tape. Not sure about the chewed part.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    If the belts are hardened with age (virtual certainty) they could spin on the posts and not turn the tape. Not sure about the chewed part.
    Ok, probably what it is. I ordered a cleaning cassette and will try that. Not that hopeful though.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

FEP Power Member

Eating tapes is usually a sticky roller or the pick up wheel not working. Alcohol and a q-tip can clean the head and roller.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

They make an electronic cleaner in spray form (or at least they used to). You can spray away as you rotate the knobs with NO power on. They spray evaporates almost as quick as you spray it.

The dragging is probably from old lubricant that has gotten hard. If you can get to where you can see the drive wheels and spray the cleaner on the posts that the wheels turn on, it MIGHT loosen up the old stuff. Once clean, carefully apply a silicon ONLY to the posts. If you get it on the wheels they will never have traction to pull the tape...

This was used a lot in the last century for TV's that you had to turn knobs on.. LOL
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

FEP Member

CRC QD Electronic Cleaner No. 05101

May be others.

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    They make an electronic cleaner in spray form (or at least they used to). You can spray away as you rotate the knobs with NO power on. They spray evaporates almost as quick as you spray it.

The dragging is probably from old lubricant that has gotten hard. If you can get to where you can see the drive wheels and spray the cleaner on the posts that the wheels turn on, it MIGHT loosen up the old stuff. Once clean, carefully apply a silicon ONLY to the posts. If you get it on the wheels they will never have traction to pull the tape...

This was used a lot in the last century for TV's that you had to turn knobs on.. LOL
    Thanks, I will give that a try and use the stuff dark0r recommended. Can I just spray a little inside to clean everything up or should I just stick to the wheels?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Its made to not hurt electronics. I would just make sure there is NO power to the unit first

I would just spray/drench TV tuners as I turned them back and forth quickly. It cleans the rheostats that the knobs control..
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Well I sprayed inside around the wheels and most of the inside. Popped a tape in and it played perfect for about 3 minuets. Flipped tape over fast forward a bit and it worked. Rewind to the start and now it won't work again. Eats tapes almost immediately. Damn thought I had it
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Now its playing but really slow lol
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Almost wondering if only one wheel is working. Not familiar with the inside of tape decks but if someone had a working one and could check. Notice how the back thing is lifted up when a tape is in? Is that supposed to be laying flat like the first part of it?
    Attachment 134957
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

My tape adapter I bought works now. So that's some good news at least
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

FEP Power Member

The tape adapter only requires the tape pick up head to be working.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Take good care of that radio. It's getting harder and harder to find someone to work on them.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Tapes can get sticky after years of sitting. Cassettes, vcr, all of them.
    Its the tape formula. Read prerecorded is the worst. Cheap tape.
    They say to rewind and wind several times to make sure they move.
    Other issues are with the cassette housing itself.
    Deck cannot overcome the drag.
    I believe the screwdriver in the pic is not in as far as a tape would be to push the eject plate flat to engage drive.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Tapes can get sticky after years of sitting. Cassettes, vcr, all of them.
    Its the tape formula. Read prerecorded is the worst. Cheap tape.
    They say to rewind and wind several times to make sure they move.
    Other issues are with the cassette housing itself.
    Deck cannot overcome the drag.
    I believe the screwdriver in the pic is not in as far as a tape would be to push the eject plate flat to engage drive.
    The screwdriver is just holding the flap open so I could get a picture. There is actually a tape in the player. Your looking at the top of the eject plate.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Ok.
    Funny when you are waiting at a red light and notice one discarded on the ground as pile of tangled tape.
    Got me thinking about trying to play the tapes i made 70's-80's again.
    Get out the home stereo tape deck recorder. The like new 70's era one that still works.
    Cassettes sound fine, simpler to use when driving than mp3 players, cds, or usb sticks.
    Less distracting than having to visually reread and push electronic menu screens to operate songs.
    Have new blank tapes. A time consuming project to rerecord one.
    Now can use the pc to help out a little especially if songs are already on file.

Ok.
    Funny when you are waiting at a red light and notice one discarded on the ground as pile of tangled tape.
    Got me thinking about trying to play the tapes i made 70's-80's again.
    Get out the home stereo tape deck recorder. The like new 70's era one that still works.
    Cassettes sound fine, simpler to use when driving than mp3 players, cds, or usb sticks.
    Less distracting than having to visually reread and push electronic menu screens to operate songs.
    Have new blank tapes. A time consuming project to rerecord one.
    Now can use the pc to help out a little especially if songs are already on file.
    I recently bought 3 old receivers. Well, I bought 2 and a buddy gave me a pristine late 70's pioneer receiver after I told him about the other 2. They're so much nicer than the junk they sell now. I put one of them in the new garage and got a Bluetooth receiver/adapter for it. It has a pair of rca jacks, so you just connect it to one of the receiver inputs and you can connect to it just like a newer device. Works like a charm.

Name:  Screenshot_20210202-082813_eBay.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  126.6 KB

I just ordered another one yesterday for our home workout room. I also picked up a set of old (1980's?) Realistic or Optimus speakers. They sounded great at first, but the foam surround was old and deteriorated. It fell apart after a few days of use. To my surprise, I found a foam replacement kit fairly cheap. It was a 15 minute job to replace it. I have a spare if the other one ever goes bad (looks to be fine for now).
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Menards sells a similar looking Bluetooth transmitter box if anyone needs that end.

Electronics and electrical. Micro, Macro. Can never know enough. Will never know enough. Terms, tech.
    We are all 'wired' different skill wise, speed, adjusting to need, want, feasibility, time, and money variables.
    Take people who seriously understand electronics/electrical. Many levels and types of tech skills unlike home gardening.
    Cannot easily crossover, not interested, or as successful rebuilding engines or doing body work in great detail.

Amazing to look at the construction and thought under the hood of those cool looking heavy durable vintage analog stereo units.
    Same deal as car players, boomboxes. Mechanistically not working right all the time or worse- the electric part.

Found new cassette player belts, maintenance tips, tape transport repair videos.
    Can now rethink making, one of these years, a couple new and recopy worn music cassettes.
    Use two recorders, connect to amp 1>2 and 2>1 tape copy switch. Go back to the 70's and make music cassettes.
    Thing is, main recorder (Sony K7II, bought new, have box) needs something. Won't play a tape.

Found a store selling new fresh (not NOS) transport belts at normal prices. One listed as made like the factory belt.
    Easy to get a new belt, compared to replacing one risking doing damage from lack of totally knowing what is what.
    Did find a long video of someone restoring another exact model, including clearly how to take the tape drive assy out.
    Took apart capstan, flywheel, boards, wire harness, screws, tiny springs, e-clips. No electrical repair: all mechanical.
    Reading service manuals is a start. Watching the process goes much deeper to actually see what to and how to repair.

Did not know of JIS screwdrivers. Said to be the best gripping tip for electrical than regular, worn, and cheap tools.
    For high torque screws used to assemble electronics parts and electrical. Tight grip no slop, no slip, not inexpensive.

Menards sells a similar looking Bluetooth transmitter box if anyone needs that end.

Electronics and electrical. Micro, Macro. Can never know enough. Will never know enough. Terms, tech.
    We are all 'wired' different skill wise, speed, adjusting to need, want, feasibility, time, and money variables.
    Take people who seriously understand electronics/electrical. Many levels and types of tech skills unlike home gardening.
    Cannot easily crossover, not interested, or as successful rebuilding engines or doing body work in great detail.

Amazing to look at the construction and thought under the hood of those cool looking heavy durable vintage analog stereo units.
    Same deal as car players, boomboxes. Mechanistically not working right all the time or worse- the electric part.

Found new cassette player belts, maintenance tips, tape transport repair videos.
    Can now rethink making, one of these years, a couple new and recopy worn music cassettes.
    Use two recorders, connect to amp 1>2 and 2>1 tape copy switch. Go back to the 70's and make music cassettes.
    Thing is, main recorder (Sony K7II, bought new, have box) needs something. Won't play a tape.

Found a store selling new fresh (not NOS) transport belts at normal prices. One listed as made like the factory belt.
    Easy to get a new belt, compared to replacing one risking doing damage from lack of totally knowing what is what.
    Did find a long video of someone restoring another exact model, including clearly how to take the tape drive assy out.
    Took apart capstan, flywheel, boards, wire harness, screws, tiny springs, e-clips. No electrical repair: all mechanical.
    Reading service manuals is a start. Watching the process goes much deeper to actually see what to and how to repair.

Did not know of JIS screwdrivers. Said to be the best gripping tip for electrical than regular, worn, and cheap tools.
    For high torque screws used to assemble electronics parts and electrical. Tight grip no slop, no slip, not inexpensive.
    Where did you find the belts and tech info?
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Found belts and video repair for my home stereo and boombox tape decks. Four out of 5 will not play tapes.
    No info found on Ford factory tape deck repair or parts except for from the belt sites.

Wanted to check recorded music tapes stored since the 80's mostly off albums. None were stuck up, all name brands.
    Got out the stored in its box Superscope CD-302A home tape deck.
    Connected it to portable powered speakers, then the home theater. Sounded fine.
    Bought that deck early 70's because it has a Ford engine number.
    Was interesting to hear the old tapes again.
    12 with music, 3 need tape splicing, other are talk shows.
    A few of the music ones are from borrowed vinyl or albums never returned.
    Next new tape recordings will be mp3 from pc to tape deck.

First tried a tape in a portable Sony sport boombox. Played for 30 sec while it was being eaten then it stopped.
    Saved the tape by carefully unwrapping it off the rubber pinch wheel. Wrinkled but played fine in the 302.
    Have a splice kit for cassettes. Curious whats on two unmarked tapes. Third needing repair is a well used Benatar.

FEP Member

Curious whats on two unmarked tapes. Third needing repair is a well used Benatar.
    Might be the missing tapes from the Nixon administration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast