Close

Default Hatchback struts

I bought struts that were supposed to be NOS replacements but don’t hold the hatch up.
    The code on the container is E1ZZ-61406A10-A
    The code on the strut is E1ZZ-61406A10-BC
    Can anyone let me know what the code should say?
    It’s for a 1982 Mustang GT hatchback that I am trying to replace some parts with originals if possible
    Thanks!

You can use non oem coded parts. Any brand that lists 'w/spoiler' should be fine.
    Ford never makes parts like struts in house. OEM has vendors like Monroe, Sachs make them to spec.

Reason i bought Sachs brand is on a strut brand fact finding trip, seen them on 90's Fords in the salvage yard.
    Wanted the real deal and new parts, as good free used ones have been too hard to find plus new are not expensive.
    Bought SACHS SG304003, also listed for 82, from Rock Auto. 79 hatchback with pace car spoiler.

They have solid action like new, like extending all the way by themselves in Great Lakes winter weather.
    Describing operation, struts assist lift until about 2/3 open then they sprint to the finish..
    When closing hatch about 1/2 way, hatch closes by itself first slow then drops quick to latch..
    Very similar to closing the hood.
    Good struts beat holding up hatch in the center with a baseball bat. Hatch doors are h-e-a-v-y.
    A major league size bat is handy to safely prop hatch while replacing strut lift supports.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-31-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks. This is what I bought.Name:  44F35D59-2E71-4794-944F-E95E74EDF3C9.jpeg
Views: 245
Size:  94.1 KB

It says they are Suspa’s Corp.

Good find big company, never heard of them.
    Many tier 1 vendors are like that.
    Parts get reboxed as another brand. Many brands, same exact part except for labels.
    Should work fine.

FEP Power Member

I believe Suspa also made the svo engine struts. I seem to recall a different name on the hatch struts, something like Coplane.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Gas Spring Co of Colmar PA was also an OE supplier, along with Suspa, and at least 1 other that I can't remember....
    1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

The problem is they don’t hold the hatch up?

FEP Senior Member

For what it is worth, Rockauto lists two different rear hatch struts for your car. With and without spoiler. Does your car by chance have a spoiler? It is possible you got the w/o spoiler struts. Another possibility is the parts are 40 years old and just don't work anymore. I'm all about using OEM or OEM quality parts, but I think any of the aftermarket struts would serve you just fine. Most don't have any markings identifying them so nobody would be the wiser.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I ordered new ones from Rock Auto. MCS judges marked points off last year for it. We still got gold but if I can replace easy items I am. Not so easy though. Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

The Ford part number sticker prob was made with a Zebra printer at the strut plant.
    Commonly used throughout plants to print stickers like that.
    Possible to reproduce the stickers with work and money for a few more points.
    Close to the same printings as under hood or door jamb stickers.
    White is more common than blue labels. Wonder who offers Zebra or regular printer service like that?
    A regular printer and pc would be able to do this. Using blue labels for the background is the variable.
    Pretty sure the blue variant is off the shelf.
    Same basic procedure as home printing, however thermal process is a lot more durable than inkjet ink.
    Custom label printing services are around and online.

The strut labels look like regular blue address labels, black print, cut in half.
    https://www.staples.com/JAM-Paper-Ma...product_263091

At work, we had Zebra printers connected to network pc to print those stick-on carton labels for auto parts containers.
    PC had Zebra compatible software to create labels. Type of material, field sizes, font, insert data into fields, qty to print.
    Zebras have one time use wide ribbon rolls to thermally print from a pc station or hand scanner request from a forklift.
    Can print sticky back, like the strut label, or on card stock. Expensive and fast.
    Had to make sure to send print requests to the right printer station, not to one on the other side of the plant....
    Last edited by gr79; 02-04-2021 at 11:29 PM.

FEP Power Member

Unless you are showing the car in unrestored class, you might have some options. I would start with an after market brand that has few or no labels. Stick on labels would be easy to remove. Remove everything and make a label with a Ford number on it. Say clear label with white print. I believe they are dated too.
    You can take the hit on the wrong part, or partial for condition/workmanship.

I don’t believe it was me who judged your car. The last show I judged at was Dallas. It would seem there are others out there with a sharp eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb1982 View Post
    I ordered new ones from Rock Auto. MCS judges marked points off last year for it. We still got gold but if I can replace easy items I am. Not so easy though. Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.
    I do not know how the struts are "labeled" on your '82 (I assume from the screen name), but for my '86 SVO, the manufacturer and engineering number is printed in blue on the strut. I was docked points at the GN in Columbus a few years ago (concours driven), so I found some original, although blown, struts that I use for show now. I made some braces that slide on the strut and hold the hatch up during the show... don't like the pole/broom handle method that I have seen.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

FEP Power Member

In concours, the part does not have to be original but should appear to look so. It’s possible to repaint an after market part to look like a factory one. Having the wrong part will cost more points than one in poor condition. You have to look to see how the points are distributed for that area.

If you have good working struts, you could easily reproduce that label.
    Anyone decent with a computer/graphic design can do that, then either print locally, or use a company like https://www.stickeryou.com/ (print 20 and sell the rest to cover your costs)

The blue printed struts aren't quite so easy, but there is a way.
    1986 Saleen #145

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

About 6 years ago I made reproduction stickers for a variety of different struts.
    After applying, they coat them with clear spray.
    According to what I have been told they are concours accepted.

Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Nice!
    Your battery work inspired my previous battery (and a few other things) on my Concours Driven Saleen. I'm so glad there are people like you that can show ideas and practical solutions.

Unfortunately, until I finish the MCA Grill Medallion, I've learned to be VERY private about any work done.
    (When it comes to MCA Concours, what you say on the internet does get used against you)
    Last edited by 1986Saleen; 02-05-2021 at 03:36 PM.
    1986 Saleen #145

Nice artwork the stickers look real enough to me
    Labeling-an important part of the vastly complex detailed world of manufacturing.

Dot peen, laser marking, on metal parts. Vins on engine blocks.
    High speed industrial inkjet printers for stenciling plastic pipe
    A long way from the days of cardboard stencils and inked hand rollers.

Printing- Would like 3d printing to become much more accessible and cost effective for everyone.
    To duplicate a small replacement part not made anymore, of improved materials, or for custom creations.
    Plastic or, heck, metal too.
    Last edited by gr79; 02-05-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Sorry I'm a little bit late to this soiree. To the original poster, the part number you purchased for your car is wrong. That is for the standard Mustang/Capri hatch strut without rear spoiler, without heated window, without rear wiper, and without rear louvers. The part number for a car with rear spoiler, with rear wiper, with rear heated window, and with rear louvers is;

EOZZ 61406A10-C

The parts listing also mentions that you might need 2 spring retainers, part number D2FZ 6445592-A.

If you are in dire need for this particular part, there are two sellers that have them listed for sale on Ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/79-80-81-82...75.c1#viTabs_0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1979-80...cAAOSwAKxWUbzF

The first seller has two, so that might be your best bet. A little pricey, but that's how NOS parts have been going for our cars for quite some time now.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

I purchased new hatch struts from CJ Pony Parts. Fit and looked great but 6 months later they didn't go up without a fight and also don't stay up. This thread makes me wonder if I got the wrong ones since I have no wing, but then again if they were ones built for a heavier hatch they would be even harder to lift up!

I kept my originals so maybe I should put them back on and just use a broomstick. Will they deduct points for that?!!
    Last edited by m81mclaren; 02-12-2021 at 06:35 PM.
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 1986Saleen View Post
    Nice!
    Your battery work inspired my previous battery (and a few other things) on my Concours Driven Saleen. I'm so glad there are people like you that can show ideas and practical solutions.

Unfortunately, until I finish the MCA Grill Medallion, I've learned to be VERY private about any work done.
    (When it comes to MCA Concours, what you say on the internet does get used against you)
    That is too bad you have to be private about the work done to your car. You have one of the nicest original 86 Saleen's that I know of. My Saleen is nice but it is far from perfect. I will not win much with mine but I do enjoy driving it.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179