Close

Default 1984 Mustang, 5.0 Build

Hello all. I’m looking to do a mild build for my 84. Looking to leave stock short block for now, thinking of using link bar roller lifters. Do you all suggest the edelbrock rpm heads? What intake? What head gasket are most running? What can is most popular for a mild build like this? I plan to do mostly cruising.

thanks a million
    russ

Tie lifters are awesome. For something that isnt chemically or physically boosted, GT40P heads from the last Exploreres offer the best cfm per dollar. The stock valve spring always was a disaster grom birth in 1962, but if you find the right Andesons replacements and add a nice roller cam, the carbed 5.0 is exceptionally responsive.

I have a favorite build for a Father and Son Mustang Project in two cars.

See at the junkyards various 1980 versions. Link bar rollers allow you to fit any thing to anything. The last Ford 5.0 roller High Output cams are really nice choices for a lighter 4 bbl Fox.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...h-stock-79-302

Ford make cars and dont customise as easy.as other marques because of the Von Carbbs tight wad monetary focus which has looked after FoMoCo's ass since 1903.

Read through the cam dowel and distributor and intake manifold differences. The stock intake is ulyta restrictive but has a small footprint and greed is your downfall with the low hoodline and fitting eveything in.

See
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...n-roller-block

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-urgent!/page2

The stuff you remove then causes other issues. On a Carb Ford, how important it is that your car warms up and how much low end horsepower you leave on the table is a personal choice that EFi guys dony have to worry about. I like the Spread bore Carter Thermoquad and the talks we have on cams are linked in with what sort of power curve you desire. The Crown Victoria 5.8 style cam profile and the Mopar Carter are Ford solutions to making Cleveland 351 Cubic inch V8s drop sub 16 second quarters in 3500 to 3900 pound sedans from 1976 to 1982. In a 2800 pound car, a used but rebuilt Carter TQ and EGR plate on a stock Edlebrock Performer with the vaccum tees all matching is as good as the best Vacuum Secondary 4180C Holley or the 370 hp 429 SuperCobra Jet Quadrajet carb

See
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...19#post1821319

FEP Senior Member

You mentioned link bar lifters. Are you looking to use a roller cam? If so, you will need a retrofit roller camshaft for a non roller block. You "Can Not" use a stock roller camshaft in a non roller block. You need to use a small base circle cam ground for non roller block like an 84 Engine uses.

If using the link bar retro fit roller lifters in a non roller lifter block, you can run a standard hydraulic roller camshaft.

If using the stock OEM style roller lifters and spider plate in a non roller block, you must run a small base circle hydraulic roller camshaft.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Valve size and placement is always a limiting factor when considering aftermarket heads and using a stock shortblock due to piston to valve clearance. The AFR 165 heads are tough to beat for a mild build, but they're not cheap. The edelbrock heads are decent castings, but the valvetrain components are junk at best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Valve size and placement is always a limiting factor when considering aftermarket heads and using a stock shortblock due to piston to valve clearance. The AFR 165 heads are tough to beat for a mild build, but they're not cheap. The edelbrock heads are decent castings, but the valvetrain components are junk at best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    thanks. What cam do you suggest? Head gaskets? Thank you.

I can confirm that my sons 80 build mentioned by Xctasy (carbed with the retro tie bar lifters, E7's, and the 95 HO cam) is still running very well today. Its been his regular driver since then and no issues.

I think I just used the 8548 stock replacement head gaskets but you may want to look at something a little better. Other than the lifters on that job everything else was reasonable although they were used mostly parts etc.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Atengnr View Post
    thanks. What cam do you suggest? Head gaskets? Thank you.
    Anything folks? Thanks.