Close

Default Universal Mandrel Bent Exhaust Kits

Want to build a single 3" exhaust for my car, and I'm considering one of the kits that comes with mandrel bent sections that are already expanded on one end. Slip it together for mock up, then weld when done, as I do have access to a MIG setup. Most of the kits appear to be for a dual exhaust, so I'll either get two exhausts out of it or have plenty of extra bits for trial & error to get one good exhaust (more likely!) Idea is to use a welded Thrush or Jones Racing muffler.

Plan is to run it out at the stock exhaust location behind the driver's side rear wheel/tire angled down/out/back instead of the the stock horizontal out to the side. I'm guessing nobody makes a Fox-chassis 3" single exhaust system, but if there's something out there like that, I am willing to buy it instead of fabbing up my own.

Separately, I figure I'll need to come up with a Y-pipe setup. To get started, I think I have one I can use from another vehicle. Not sure what I'll do long-term, but I'd like to start simple/cheap, then improve it later. It probably only has a 2-1/4" outlet. Any additional thoughts for that?

Example of kit on Summit, but they're also available at Speedway and even Amazon:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-670147

Has anyone done this, and if so, do you recommend it? What are some of the pros and cons? If anyone has done a single exhaust that goes to at least behind the rear axle, I'd love to see your photos! TIA
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

As stated above, Stinger offers a 3" design that can work, although not a cheap option. Flowmaster and Pypes both make dual 3" exhaust pipes for the Mustangs.

https://lmr.com/item/FLO-15820/87-93...ized-Tailpipes

https://lmr.com/item/PYP-TFM15/pypes...it-tfm15-86-93

For what the Summit kit, etc costs you can get the prebent option and still have at least one side left over if you choose. I had considered the 3" kit for my SVO many years ago when I was going to stay with a single, but ultimately decided to go with the dual tips out the back since I prefer the look.

I have done the kit systems on a couple of other vehicles including my 93 F150. They work just fine, but ultimately installer skills and ability will determine how well they fit and work. Unfortunately all too often 90 and 45 degree angles are not quite right for fitting an exhaust, so compromises have to be made or you have to do some extra cutting and welding to make your own angles. I can tell you just from fitting a pair of LMR tailpipes on my 86 with the Saleen rear valance that it doesn't take much of an angle being off for things to suddenly start not fitting and rubbing against everything you don't want them too. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

I am going with a single exhaust on my wagon once I get the correct engine in there and as mentioned above I was going to go with the Stinger 3" tail pipe. You don't mention what engine you are going with. LTDScott has some decent pictures of his Y to single outlet exhaust before he swapped to dual exhaust floating around here somewhere.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Oops, neglected to mention that the engine will be a 302. Not sure exactly which one I'll use first, as I have four 302's lying around. Thought is to use the wimpy, smog-era, carbureted 302 initially, as it would cost me very little to set up. Later, I want to swap a roller Mustang or Explorer engine, but I'll have to spend a bunch of money on those to either make the FI work or to buy carb, intake, fuel pump, distributor, and other accessories. For now, I just want to go with the path of least resistance and get the car running.

Yup, I wondered if the 90's and 45's would be enough without having to cut/fab/weld some to get things where I want. Good to know my expectations should be kept in check if I go that route.

Thank you for the ideas. Looked at LMR, and their options are all cat back (or just tail pipes) and don't go forward to manifolds or Y-pipe, so I'd still have to add that portion. I'm also not a fan of the large diameter rear exit designs. Found LTD Scott's photo of his 2.5" OD driver's side pipe, and it looks like there's a bunch of clearance, so fitting a single 3" OD on the driver's side should work. The folks that squeezed his passenger side pipe in around the Griggs stuff have some skills! I'll keep digging to find his front part setup with the Y-pipe. Exploring Stinger's website now too.
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

FEP Senior Member

One drawback to the 3" tailpipe is it a very tight fit with a panhard bar setup if you plan to go that way. Just something to keep in mind.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Panhard bar isn't in the cards for now, but it's a possibility in the future. Looks like there's a lot more room on the driver's side than the passenger, at least with Maximum Motorsports kit. The photo I have of LTD Scott's setup looked like it had decent clearance on the driver's side but not the passenger. My thought is to go single exhaust on the driver's side anyway.
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties