Close

Default Difference between 1983 Mustang and 1985 Mustang?

I believe I read here or somewhere that one of the differences was the passenger kick panel area where the ECU/ Computer is located. The 83 is smaller? or just doesn't have the mounting holes for the ECU since the 83 never came with one?

Is there any other big difference in the core body?

I am asking because I am thinking of turning a 83 Coupe into a 86 GT with EFI. Building from a mostly stripped hull. With a complete 86 donor car.
    Scott

85 McLaren Conv
    85 Cpe Project car Making a TTop GT 5 spd car out of it
    89 CPE
    86 GT TTop roller parts car

2001 F250, 2006 Mustang GT Conv, 63 Herbie The Love Bug Clone

Looking for a Blue T-Top V8 car with EFI

Sure there are difference between the two. Most are nothing more than design improvements as the model progresses and Ford determines areas that need improvement, revisions, or changes. I believe the floor pan actually changed in 1986 to add additional strength around the seat bolt areas that were prone to cracking and tearing. The kick panel on the passenger side is different to house the ECM, but I believe that may have started as early as 84 with the CFI vehicles, but not 100% on when the change accorded. Most likely there are more holes punched in the engine bay sheetmetal for all the different combinations of drivetrains, etc. Bottom line is there's no reason why you can't do what you are planning with little to no issues. Heck back when I was young and dumb, I swapped everything from a wrecked 1989 GT into a 1981 straight 6 hatchback with only minor tweaks and adjustments. When I was done everyone thought it was a real 1989 model. So it can easily be done if that is what you want to do. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

For the 100.4 inch Short Wheel Base Foxes, but it was 1983 when the first TFi and EFi engine was introduced that year. The mid year auto M code CFi with TFi ignition was a year later. Those two changes to ignition and fuel delivery ment a whole host of extra, non integrated wiring. The kick panaael wasnt changed till 1984 and a half for the other cars,

see https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog...tors-to-spare/

1983 Ford Mustang and Mercury Capri 2.3 Turbo EFI

1983-84 Mustang GT Turbo 145 hp 2.3 Turbo EFI
    1983-1984 Mercury Capri RS Turbo 145 hp 2.3 Turbo EFI

The SVO Mustang engine was different, and had an intercooler.

The S shell Thunderbird and Cougar Turbos were also Foxes, and had CFi 5.0 options and the 145 hp EFI 2.3 Turbo for 83.

see https://www.curbsideclassic.com/auto...ed-egobooster/

Its a pretty hard pill to swallow when the press is anti Number 2.
    It happens every time with the aspirational Fords back in the 80's, hard to get true info. And it wasn't Ford who was doing the misinformation trail

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...t-car-number-2
    Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    83 turbo coupe should have made the list as well.

Seems to have been a pretty selective article.

Well said. Tom Appel made a mistake in the selection.

What should be 9 th is the Consumer Guide tested the 1983 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe at 0-60 mph in 9.6 seconds with 145 hp and 2998 lbs..

Take that Twin cam Supra.

Quote Originally Posted by vxr500 View Post
    I think the official numbers from Ford when the 83 4bbl appeared was 176 hp, 247 ft lbs. But most articles rounded them after that.

As far as the TA, that is not a HO TA. Thats the base model 305 V8. And they're quoting the 82 TA times which is the only year with a 3 speed auto and 145 hp. The 190 hp HO TA's from late 83 to early 85 were 0-60 in the low 7's and mid to low 15 quarter mile times. About as fast as an 83-84 GT.

Yes, its just that for 1982, Consumer Guide didn't test the Injected 3 speed auto Trans Am 5.0 HO. Nor did they quote anything for the 82 Mustang GT HO.

For 1982, Car and Driver did, and rated the Trans Am HO 5.0 3speed at 8.6 seconds verses 8.1 seconds for the 82 Mustang 5.0 4 speed. The Trans Am 5.0 4-bbl 4 speed was rated at 10.6 seconds.

83 had the GT turbo which was EFI but the computer was mounted under the pass seat. I believe this continued into the early 84 cars.

According to the Consumer Guide, the mid year Thunderbird Turbo Coupe engine in the late season GT Turbo was T5 equipped, and had no Air Conditioning option in the Mustang

Like the S car ( Stirling Thunderbird Turbo Coupe) , the TFi ignition and EECIV were fitted as an addition, not integrated.

Starting in 1983 The Mustang and Capri got an all new EFI 2.3L Turbo with TFI ignition and a T5 transmission. The SVO, Thunderbird and Cougar were added as stablemates as well as the Merkur XR4Ti. The engine was available in different guises with or without intercoolers and with T3 or IHI turbochargers
    IIRC, With respect to carb A code 2.3 Mustangs, for one year, the 1983 2.3 carb had a different ignition system, with the feedback 2-bbl 2.3 liter carb now downgraded to a 1-bbl 2.0/2.3 Ranger MCU and 4.9 Ford truck 1 bbl carb, because the feedback system was required to run the Manual stock shift cars through California emissions. The VW style upshift light was an add on, not integrated to the MCU. The ignition is a modified 1983 Duraspark with MCU, same as the Ranger that year. After that, depending on state, they progressed to an EEC-IV for 1985, behind a panel down by the passenger footwell.

The passenger seat computer position was common to the California 1984 T bird CFi F code and the last of the 1983 Bronco and F series 351 M G vin code trucks. In addition to the nose, tail light and trim changes, the 83 Mustang missed out on the clutch/ starter interlock with manual gearboxes, and all engines except the GT Turbo were not fuel injected. The 2.3 Turbo has an electric fuel pump and separate EECIV fuel pump relay, the Upshift indicator and Turbo light aren't integrated into the EECIV and there is no two step accessory drive

The standard 220/55 tires from the 80-82 Thunderbird forced removal of the tail gate wiper option, which was supposed.to ne for aerodynamics but was space related.

My late 84 GT turbo has the EEC under the passenger seat. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was a very early build for an 84.5 as I have documentation that it was an emissions test vehicle.

FEP Power Member

My 84 GT turbo vert. ECU is not under the seat. I have seen 2 at Pick n pull which were the same.

Sun visors mounts were changed as well, 83-85.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

ECU in my 84.5 GT Turbo is in the passenger kick panel