Close

Default Period Correct looking 5-lug options?

Hello all. I searched but did not see anything specifically cataloging 5-lug wheel options (preferably that clear the popular Cobra brakes) that look like they actually belong on our beloved Four Eyes. To me, most of the available 17" wheels look a little too modern when paired with a four eye. Some seem to work better with a hatch than a notch too but I might just be crazy. I think wheels like the Saleen-style mesh work nicely with our cars but I don't see anything in a 5-lug 17". SN95 Mach1 and Bullitt look pretty good but you see them a lot. Anyway, if you have any recommendations for an almost period correct looking, 5-lug wheel that clears bigger brakes, list them here, thanks!
    Last edited by NY5speed; 01-19-2021 at 11:07 AM.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

Cobra R wheels

1998 Cobra Wheels

1994-97 Cobra Wheels

Saleen SC Wheels

Are just a few. None are really period specific correct since they are all later model wheels, but all of them look good on the Foxes IMHO. Your opinion may vary.

There are plenty of aftermarket mesh wheels to choose from, the issue is often getting them in the correct offset to fit the Fox properly. The other issue can be the 87-93 V8 front spindle when used to convert to 5 lug being too large a diameter for wheels with a small center cap bore such as many of the SN95 wheels such as Cobra R, 98 Cobra, Bullit, etc.

Aftermarket wheels such as ESM offer a nice mesh wheel, but I don't think they offer the correct offset in a 17", but maybe in an 18" wheel. https://esmwheels.com/index.php?rout...ory&path=59_64

ESR offers two versions similar to the BBS LM wheels that might work if you like that style. I don't like it as much as the BBS RS mesh, but still a good looking wheel on the right car. Again, offset, etc. can be a challenge. https://esrwheels.com/collections/sr-series

Aodhan offers a nice looking wheel in the LS002, again maybe not period correct, but it does look good and they offer an 18 x 8 with 35mm offset that can be made to work on a Fox with SN95 spindles. https://www.aodhanwheels.com/product...17751547904111

ARC has a new mesh style wheel that might work again depending on your setup. Unfortunately only available in an 18", but they have an 18X8.5" with 35mm offset that might work depending on your combo. https://www.aspiremotoring.com/colle...ilver-machined

JNC offers a BBS RS look alike that is available in a 17" https://jncwheels.com/collections/jnc004 but again the offsets generally don't work for a Fox Mustang, depending on your setup.

There are a lot of wheels out there that can be made to work depending on your 5 lug setup and your desires. Unfortunately if you want something slightly different than the normal/average Mustang wheel offerings you will need to do some searching and number crunching to verify if your choices will fit. More information on your current setup and we can probably offer more information to help out with. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I am fairly content to stay with my 4-lug, ten-hole setup on my '83 notch at the moment, but I am considering going in another direction with my '92 hatch which would free up a fox-width, 5-lug 8.8 rear and SN95 front spindles, control arms and Cobra brakes all around for use on the '83. I have tri-bars for the '92 but the look doesn't work for me on an earlier notch. That is a long way of me saying that this is really just a thought exercise for the time-being. Thank you for the recommendations, I'll look around and see what I might be able to make work.
    -Randy

Obviously with the 4 lug you can pick up the SVE mesh wheels now from LMR.

Keep in mind if using the SN95 lower control arms up front on a Fox you will be limited to an 8" front wheel width. Otherwise they will not clear the front fenders. The wider SN95 front control arms give you the wider stance and can improve front grip, but if you want to run anything larger than the 8" front wheel you are better staying with the stock Fox length front control arms and then you can generally run up to a 9" front wheel width

If you want to be able to rotate tires, then staying the same size and offset on all 4 corners is what you have to do. If you prefer the staggered look, then obviously you have many options in regards to sizing. Generally with SN95 spindles and Fox control arms a 17X8 with 30mm offset fits up front and can work in the rear, although you might want a spacer to push the wheel out more in back to fill the wheel well. 17X9 with a 24mm offset fits front and rear for most cars, but again tire size, brand, alignment, ride height, etc. can affect fitment up front to varying degrees. Wider is an option out back up to 10" and sometimes even 10.5 depending on combo and tire size. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks Trey. If I stay 4-lug I'll just keep the 10-holes, I think they look great on the notch. I'd really only go 17" to fit over the larger brakes with my 5 lug setup, leaning toward something BBS-looking (gold!?) inspired by the Belga touring cars.
    -Randy

The SVO and SN95s moved to a front drive style shallow dish which needs spacers to fit on a stock Fox track 5 stud.

The ET to proper backspace on line calculator is a good one

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

The deep dish ET11.5 to 15.5 mm Ferrari five star or ROH or Globe Bathurst five star in ET 35 work really well. Redrilling to the Volvo/Ferrari/Taurus 5 on 108 mm ( 5 on 4.25 inch) bolt pattern or 5 on 120 (5 on 4.75 inch )using Willword discs allows you to use some period ideal Momo, Compomotive or BBS style rims.

What doesnt work is zero offset 78 to 81 GM F bird rims with an ET0 deep dish. The wheels hit the gaurds.

I think your best served by finding a custom wire mesh or 5 star you really like, and drilling the wheels studs to the pattern the wheel supplier used. Ford added track for 1994 to 2004, but moved to funny shallow dish offsets. Like ET40 s on SVOs and then the ET35 or ET18s.

As you move from E35s back to E 11.5 to E 15.5s, you find some fantastic European style wheels that look Borbet/Belga or Bathurst Mustang style in the 16 to 17 inch size.

See the two Kurious Oranj cars...the Pine Pac and Mikes. Another is albanygt40s greens tuff replicar, but an 82, not an 84.

In my opinion, the more offset in the E22 to E11.5 works on the Pine Pac cars.

They had 5 on 108s stud wheels on the Janspeed amd Mike Kranfuss cars.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-for-me!/page4

Mikes and albanyGT40s are standout cars, but the lack of deep dish makes them look like 1981 Audi Quattros.

Kind of under tired.

See

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...2-GT-track-car

How about the 5-lug 17 "Pony wheels form LMR.. In silver or chrome...

Quote Originally Posted by 1982GLX View Post
    emerygt350

Federal 595 RS-RR 245/40R17 and 255/40R17 on OE cobra R wheels (race)
    Everything else stock and fully functional.

Was able to go further and get 275's on the back of his Cobra R's. From what I've seen, there were two factory offsets, but some non OEM's as well.

There are three offsets, the earlier ones work.

There are

17x8 and have 15mm positive offset.

according to swest and Patrick Olsen, the offset causes cars without caster/camber plates, and without extra negative camber to push the front tires to touch the upper lip on Sportline springs.

The other Cobra R's are 19 or sometimes 22mm offset though in 17x9.

Aftermarket,
    SVE Mustang Cobra R Wheel - 17x9 - Silver (94-04) - LMR has an Offset +24 mm. Backspacing 5.95 in

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post

245/45/17 up front
    275/40/17 in back
    Ford performance springs -.875 up front and -.5 in back.
    reversed the quad shocks...

No rubs during autocross... but their isn't a pothole in autocross.

choose your finish carefully and check real, actual offset. OEW-Fits-17-Wheel-Ford-Mustang-Cobra-R-DD-Silver-w-Machd-Lip17x9

Vs LMR's

Quote Originally Posted by 1982GLX View Post
    That is what I got for my 83; wish they made 5 lug TRX replicas but I think this is best choice of what they do make.

Has anyone produced a 5 lug 17-18" ten whole wheel replica yet? That would look awesome.

I've been wanting to have a set or trx wheels made in a 17" with 5 lug for this very reason, I havent looked into it too far as I know I dont have the money for it, but I think it would be the best of both worlds....
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!

My avatar shows my 86 with 01 Cobra wheels which are 17x8. The tires were 255/40s. I also ran 96 Cobra wheels and 95 Cobra R 17x9s on the car. However the Cobra Rs needed more clearance than the others. Since I have COs on the car raising it a bit to clear wasn't a big deal. In that pic, the car has 94-98 Cobra front brakes and an SSBC rear disc conversion using 5-lug rotors. Ride height in front was about 25-3/8"; rear was just under 26". I was also running a .5" spacer on each rear wheel.

I can't get any picture's posted... but I have a set of 17" mesh wheels that are 5 lug. New in the box... black center, polished lips.

I like the Saleen SC style in 5 Lug and think they look great, but as far as period-correct, I don't think they check that box at all. I plan on doing a 5-lug conversion as soon as I can, but for now i'm rocking 4 lug 17" chrome Ponys. I think they look great. They may not be exactly period-correct, but during the early 90s, we all know we all saw many 82+GTs rocking 16" Pony wheels since they were so darn popular.
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

I guess I'm too old, but 17's (or larger) seem hardly "period correct".

I'm perfectly happy with my LSC 16's:

Name:  Wire Mesh.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  806.2 KB

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    I guess I'm too old, but 17's (or larger) seem hardly "period correct".

I'm perfectly happy with my LSC 16's:

Name:  Wire Mesh.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  806.2 KB
    Mike
    Awesome!
    I am running 16” LSC wheels too, just a different design

Name:  ErzPZ1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  239.9 KB
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.