Close

FEP Power Member

Very nice looking. Seat belt recall was not done.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Very nice looking. Seat belt recall was not done.
    what is the fair market value Kevin of this one? Not a t top or convertible obviously

FEP Power Member

At first, I was thinking a very high price. It’s not super low miles and it has not been maintained as a show car. The pictures only show a little. It would seem to be an unused car stored much of its life. It probably needs a lot of cleaning. I’m going to say $12-17k if the paint is all good. There is no mention of originality.

After posting my opinion, I later saw a price on the Craig’s List posting. As a seller, I always say start high.
    Last edited by KevinK; 01-23-2021 at 10:11 AM.

Looks very clean! Obviously kept in doors up there or the winter would’ve taken it’s toll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice car, some quick observations (disclaimer, not all observations are truth)...

1. Engine compartment shows rust on belt tensionor, alternator, shock tower bolts, and wiper motor has no luster. Most mid-80's Mustangs with 5k to 50k miles that are in excellent original unmolested condition don't exhibit these characteristics. While these things don't bother me personally if I plan on driving the car, but they do affect value and desirability and deter certain potential buyers in this market range when viewed from an investment perspective.

2. If it hasolder TRX tires which will need to be replaced to be truly roadworthy. Those tires cost $1500 or an alternative solution is to buy reproduction 16" TRX wheels and tires for $1200. Regardless its a large expense that is needed immediately after purchase.

3. Going by the photos more than likely all the fluids and maintenance items need to be addressed, brake fluid probably looks like coffee, brakes hoses 90% collapsed at 36 years of age, ethenol fuel related issues, and the list goes on and on. Many folks don't realize when you buy a car like this how much work it needs to get it reliable and "truly roadworthy" where you can take it on 100 mile trips consecutive weekends without issues.

4. Looks like Ziebart undercoating plugs in the rocker panels, and while that can help preserve a car in certain regions, it also affects value and desirability from collector standpoint.

5. When it comes to comparables, in 2020 there was an 84 GT350 for sale on Cars.com with 17k miles for around $17k, it had no rust on engine components and no undercoating, it took him almost a year to sell it. I also know a dealer who has one with 40k miles, originally had it for sale for $19k, now a year later he lowered it to $15k, still hasn't sold it.

6. No license plate? Can't tell from far away photos. The high price tag screams dealer and/or flipper, profit target range is probably $4k to $8k without doing any work to it. I wouldn't be surprised if he paid $10k for it, I see it all the time, the motivating trend being greed.

7. Asking price is approximately 25% to 30% over market value in its current condition with 26k miles. If the car was all gone through and turn-key, I can see $15k being top-dollar retail dealer price. But in its current state $12k to $13k would be an honest realistic price.

8. So if I were pay him $19k for that car, after I get it home and pay all the shipping/taxes/dmv fee expenses and do everything it needs, I would have $23k invested into a $14k car, what a deal! <sarcasm>

9. One of two things will happen, he will find a sucker willing to overpay and his ego will view it as a victory, or like the other GT350's on the market over the past year it will remain for sale for many months and his ego will have to lower the price if he wants to sell it.
    Last edited by OldFox; 01-29-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Nice looking car, but it would have to be flawless to come any where even near that price. I agree it is probably a $13K - $14K car if it is as nice as it looks in the few pics they posted. Generally if you are asking that kind of money, they should have at least 20 or more pics of the car.

More observations,

1. Those tires are not Michelin TRX's, so I think it may have the LMR 16" TRX wheels on it.

2. It looks like it has new struts, upper strut nuts are new and the strut shaft is shiny, new looking.

3. Has a new aftermarket radiator, and new radiator hold down brackets with incorrect hold down bolts.
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.

how can you tell the seat belt recall has not been done. My car shows it has not been done but Ford no longer makes the parts what are the parts?
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by mongusta View Post
    how can you tell the seat belt recall has not been done. My car shows it has not been done but Ford no longer makes the parts what are the parts?
    Flip the buckle over, if you see a White plastic piece, it was not done. The recall replacement is black plastic. I took my 85 in and got it done about 10 years ago. They had to order it. These days you can find them new on eBay for $10-15. I usually keep one in the car in case I run into someone at a show needing one. Sunlight eats up the white plastic. I will look for the eBay listings.
    E4ZZ-61610C78-A

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-For...-/183589885720

I never had my SVO done since it never sees day light. I should check my other cars....
    Last edited by KevinK; 02-01-2021 at 06:58 PM.

FYI - The price has been dropped to $14,500.
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.

Sold to classic car dealer and re-listed on ebay for $20k (typical)...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Ford-M...n/143959578026

Aside from the heavy surface rust on undercarriage be sure to ask about the repainted door bottoms, rust under hatch, work done to drivers quarter panel, and c-pillar blisters. (all commonly contributed to northern condensation swings, most likely due to less-than-ideal storage for decades, so its "sweating" rust per say)

FEP Senior Member

Could be selling on consignment. I'm guessing the markup is the dealer's cut. I often wonder if places like this and others that always have cars listed at ridiculous prices ever get anywhere near their asking price.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Good point, might be on consignment. To expand on your point about these places, there is a reason "these places" were far & few between 10 years ago and now they dominate the classifieds as they have popped up like pizza shops all over the county. Why? Its simple, because greedy unethical people figured out there was a ton of money to be made by ripping people off in a market with no regulation and accountability praying on peoples dreams, and they have no conscious or ethics in doing so. Long story short, the "majority" of these places have one business model, example... buy a $20k car for $18k, advertise it for $40k, lie through their teeth about it, sell it to some poor sucker across the county that doesn't know any better for $30k to $35k, make $10k to $15k on the flip, and when the car arrives the buyer is stuck with a POS that he would be lucky to get $15k for on CL, and the dealer didn't even bother to check the fluids, empty brake reservoir, leaking master cylinder, doesn't run right, let alone mention the unsafe 29 year old dry rotting tires, pop-rivets showing threw quarters, or tiger hair inner fenders, plus the other 12 things that don't work on the car, and the buyer waited/saved for 20 years to buy this dream car and is planning on putting his family in it for ice cream when it arrives, yet its not even safe to ride around the block, but it looks great in their showroom! Yes, I see dozens of these pathetic examples every week, and they will pay a heavy price in the spiritual/karma realm for it.

PS: and the finance company is in on it too, cause they send out "their own inspectors" so they have your investment covered <roll eyes> and these guys spend a whopping 15 minutes looking at the car, so again the buyer/sucker thinks they are covered and are SHOCKED when the car that arrives, because it is nothing like the one in the photos or the salesman described with no recourse. Seems like fraud is the "in thing" in many areas of our society these days, sad.
    Last edited by OldFox; 02-25-2021 at 03:26 PM.