Close

Default Can someone help me identify these TrickFlow heads?

My friend, who also has an 86 GT that currently has a set of TrickFlow heads with a 331 stroker, TrickFlow intake, and many more mods. Anyways, the previous owner gave him a ton of extra performance parts when he bought the car. For example, the car has an 03' Cobra IRS installed in it, and the owner gave him the stock 8.8 SRA with 5-lug conversion axles and it also has the adapter bracket needed for 03/04 Cobra brake calipers. He has no use for them and told me I could have them to install in my car, another plus is I could also install a set of 4.10s and have plenty of room to work since the SRA isn't installed.

Anyways I need help identifying these TF heads. I've looked up every number i've shown in the pictures here, and I can't find any results that that help me identify there. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate. Thank you! Also, the box shown, doesn't necessarily mean anything, as they could be the box that the heads that are currently installed in his car now came in and the heads I took pictures of are just placed in that box.

They look like the older 170 TW heads.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks, that helps.

FEP Senior Member

What’s great about those heads is they’re hard to identify. There’s no milled logo on the ends. Excellent sleeper heads.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaconB8 View Post
    What’s great about those heads is they’re hard to identify. There’s no milled logo on the ends. Excellent sleeper heads.

Perhaps great once I know what exact heads they are, but not so great when I don't know which set of TFS heads they are.

Why haven't you called TFS?
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

They're a smog head so they're most likely just a set of plain ole Twisted Wedge 170's. Back then I think they the Twisted Wedge and Twisted Wedge Track Heat (non smog) 170's, Street Heat High Port 192's, and the TFS R. They're definitely not a R or High Port and since they're smog, that eliminates the Track Heat. Without the logo milled into the ends these were probably late 90's early 00's castings. The springs were not very good on the set I bought around 1999.

Last edited by bkm; 01-19-2021 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethyl Cat View Post
    Why haven't you called TFS?
    I just got them from my friend last Saturday. I'm registering my car today. It's not exactly my #1 concern.

Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    They're a smog head so they're most likely just a set of plain ole Twisted Wedge 170's. Back then I think they the Twisted Wedge and Twisted Wedge Track Heat (non smog) 170's, Street Heat High Port 192's, and the TFS R. They're definitely not a R or High Port and since they're smog, that eliminates the Track Heat. Without the logo milled into the ends these were probably late 90's early 00's castings. The springs were not very good on the set I bought around 1999.

Thanks so much, that really helps identifying what heads these are. I can always get a new set of springs and valves.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostMasterZero View Post
    Thanks so much, that really helps identifying what heads these are. I can always get a new set of springs and valves.
    Absolutely. Check and see if they have iron guides. If I remember correctly, they had some issues with these early heads. If you have a guy close to you that is knowledgeable about these early TFS heads, I recommend you have them checked out.

Absolutely. Check and see if they have iron guides. If I remember correctly, they had some issues with these early heads. If you have a guy close to you that is knowledgeable about these early TFS heads, I recommend you have them checked out.

Definitely. I wanted to identify the heads first and then have them sent out to a local performance shop here. We have a local area which is an airpark of performance shops for all kinds of after market cars. Even then I also have several MD performance Mustang shops that I know that have CNC equipment.

While I don't live in Ohio anymore, I used to and went to OSU, which isn't exactly right next door to Tallmadge, OH where TFS is located, but I could at least take them there.

I emailed TFS with all the info and pictures I know about the heads, hopefully they can give me a definite answer.

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with them and I can get new springs, valves, and valve guides and put them on the car when I choose which cam I want. I definitely want to do a 331/347 stroker, but I just want to get the car running perfectly first, replace any seals, bushings, mounts, and things of that nature first.

I emailed TFS with all the info and pictures I know about the heads, hopefully they can give me a definite answer.

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with them and I can get new springs, valves, and valve guides and put them on the car when I choose which cam I want. I definitely want to do a 331/347 stroker, but I just want to get the car running perfectly first, replace any seals, bushings, mounts, and things of that nature first.
    Don't let me scare you, they could be perfectly fine. I had thousands of trouble free hard miles on mine without an issue. The springs were a little weak, but easily remedied.

Don't let me scare you, they could be perfectly fine. I had thousands of trouble free hard miles on mine without an issue. The springs were a little weak, but easily remedied.

Hopefully they are. I'm actually going to give the heads back to my friend. I tracked down the 3rd owner and found out the car has the Trick Flow 360hp top end kit. Trick Flow 170cc heads, TF track max cam, TF intake which I obviously knew, and every bit that goes with the kit. The car doesn't exactly feel that strong on power, so it definitely needs a tune. I know my friend's car with a 331 stroker with similar mods said his car is the same, very raw and most likely just needs a tune as well. Fortunately he has a Pro-M stand-alone ECU though. I would love to get a MegaSquirt ECU myself.

Hopefully they are. I'm actually going to give the heads back to my friend. I tracked down the 3rd owner and found out the car has the Trick Flow 360hp top end kit. Trick Flow 170cc heads, TF track max cam, TF intake which I obviously knew, and every bit that goes with the kit. The car doesn't exactly feel that strong on power, so it definitely needs a tune. I know my friend's car with a 331 stroker with similar mods said his car is the same, very raw and most likely just needs a tune as well. Fortunately he has a Pro-M stand-alone ECU though. I would love to get a MegaSquirt ECU myself.
    I suspected that. Good deal. Sucks that it doesnt feel great on power now knowing it has "better" parts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I suspected that. Good deal. Sucks that it doesnt feel great on power now knowing it has "better" parts on it.
    Yeah, it's bittersweet. Mostly sweet though since I know that this is a problem I can fix.