Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New garage

Great post and pics!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

That new garage has to be too cool to just sit back in right now. Living a dream come true.
    The ultimate to do all kinds of work step by step, instead of quick cold finger triages or sun bake outside.

We had the corner tv on for many hours on weekends, stereo radio on weekdays.
    TV was an old heavy tube console no one wanted. Built a 6' corner platform up hi to see.
    So was the stereo. Good old used stuff repurposed.
    Windows, side and overhead doors had screens. For air flow and kept bugs and stray animals out when door was open.

I wonder if some sort of simple fire sprinkler system would be feasible.
    Like for lawns but using tees, sprays, PEX pipe or metal run along inside wall top plate level.
    Similar like running hard air line across to keep hose runs short.
    Decor near a door a small red wheel panic water valve like big buildings have.
    Maybe several zones as with lighting for big areas.
    If anything, use as car wash? Wonder if anyone has done that?.
    Just thinkin'

The big new Miller welder indirectly damaged the garage beyond repair and destroyed a nice diesel F250.
    Could have been a lot worse. Found out hasty insurance sorters threw out a lot of good stuff.
    They also low balled damage adjustment figures. Pics and receipts helped pull some teeth.
    Everyone: Do keep taking pics if even for records. Don't let sickening big loss nightmare haunt you forever.
    Accidents happen when tired and doing a little more work. Cannot easily replace old cars and people if at all.
    The 'protective moving blankets' placed in the bed and on seats unknowingly smoldered and caught fire from welding sparks.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-27-2021 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I wished I had space to build a larger space. Someone's bedroom looks to have a bad view now.

You did practically everything I would have done and also do a lot of it yourself! We have natural gas so that would have been the natural choice for me. I'm curious on the two single doors. Is that better than one double? You said you wanted the left (far) bay to be walled in so a separate access?

LED lights are nice and getting cheaper. Seems the tubes and ballasts are going by the wayside in favor of panels but those look nice. You can never have too much light! Especially if doing bodywork and painting!

I did lol at the "cold" in WV comment. I worked up in the panhandle in Weirton for a lot of 2019 and into March 2020 and the winter was milder than I expected from what I am used to!
    I've been to Weirton a few times! We've had fairly mild winters the last several years. We're about due for a bad one.

As for closing off the last bay, I wouldn't need a separate entrance. I'd just build a wall inside with a door (or simply a door opening) with a ceiling. But I've decided there are some benefits to keeping it open. I can put the cars on doilies and shuffle them around. If i enclosed one bay, the car would have to be pulled out and then back in through the other door. I may try to come up with an idea for spraying, though... even if it's just some canvas strung across the place.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 01-28-2021 at 01:48 AM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    That new garage has to be too cool to just sit back in right now. Living a dream come true.
    The ultimate to do all kinds of work step by step, instead of quick cold finger triages or sun bake outside.

We had the corner tv on for many hours on weekends, stereo radio on weekdays.
    TV was an old heavy tube console no one wanted. Built a 6' corner platform up hi to see.
    So was the stereo. Good old used stuff repurposed.
    Windows, side and overhead doors had screens. For air flow and kept bugs and stray animals out when door was open.

I wonder if some sort of simple fire sprinkler system would be feasible.
    Like for lawns but using tees, sprays, PEX pipe or metal run along inside wall top plate level.
    Similar like running hard air line across to keep hose runs short.
    Decor near a door a small red wheel panic water valve like big buildings have.
    Maybe several zones as with lighting for big areas.
    If anything, use as car wash? Wonder if anyone has done that?.
    Just thinkin'

The big new Miller welder indirectly damaged the garage beyond repair and destroyed a nice diesel F250.
    Could have been a lot worse. Found out hasty insurance sorters threw out a lot of good stuff.
    They also low balled damage adjustment figures. Pics and receipts helped pull some teeth.
    Everyone: Do keep taking pics if even for records. Don't let sickening big loss nightmare haunt you forever.
    Accidents happen when tired and doing a little more work. Cannot easily replace old cars and people if at all.
    The 'protective moving blankets' placed in the bed and on seats unknowingly smoldered and caught fire from welding sparks.
    I never thought of putting a sprinkler system in. That's a great idea! I'm sure the insurance company would like that, too. I don't have water ran to it yet, but I did stub out a water line through the floor. This spring, me and my excavator buddy are going to prep and pour a 20x20 pad in front of the garage doors. When we do that, I'll talk him into digging a trench to the water line so I can tie into it.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

On a related note, I needed some seating. We had a couple Adirondack chairs on the front porch... the cheap plastic ones. I hate them, but they're just for looks. Our front porch is an oven in the summer. I'll be planting a shade tree this spring. The framing crew borrowed them and they ended up in the new garage, where they still sit (now covered in drywall dust).

I wanted some folding chairs or something that wouldn't be in the way, but it was already late fall and the local stores don't really keep that stuff in stock this time of year. I was searching online and came across "Lawn Chair USA". They're based in Georgia and make the old aluminum folding chairs just like we had growing up. I had to order a couple and they're awesome. They're not too cheap, but they're great quality and made in the USA. Go check them out!

Name:  20210118_200559_copy_1000x750.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  221.0 KB

https://www.lawnchairusa.comhttps://...wnchairusa.com
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Check this company out if you want to consider something a bit more sturdy than a canvas for spraying. https://goffscurtainwalls.com/

I originally installed these in our shop down in TX before I could afford a spray booth. They worked pretty well and have held up great. They are over 20 years old now and although not as flexible as when they were new, they still get the job done. Their track system works really well and depending on how long a curtain you need, they can be reasonable to buy. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I may try to come up with an idea for spraying, though... even if it's just some canvas strung across the place.
    My son painted his car in our garage using Harbor Freight tarps hung up to make a booth. It actually worked pretty good.

408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    My son painted his car in our garage using Harbor Freight tarps hung up to make a booth. It actually worked pretty good.
    If you are doing a one time paint, then definitely tarps, 6mil plastic, etc. is the way to go. If you plan on painting several vehicles or painting often the curtains are nice since you can slide them back out of the way when not needed. They are heavier so if using forced air or exhaust fans to improve airflow, they won't fly up and around. The can also be anchored to the ground with some straps and floor anchors to prevent them from moving. They work really well if you need something more heavy duty or for long term use.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Agree they have always been the best patio chairs. The real deal USA made like in the past. Classic plaids.
    Easy transport and carry for car shows and even when visiting. Have vinyl here. A small cooler doubles as a table.
    Have a companion old drink holder that sticks into the ground. Does not hold a phone.
    Was tired of sitting in a 'bag'. Never seem to be comfy or durable.
    A couple folding imported Coleman camp chairs cost as much. After big car cruises, more than one are left as broken piles of junk.
    After wind damaged my quick shade, made tube frame (like the chair) from conduit to support it. Heavy, assy required but is sturdy.

A laundry tub would work as a garage sink. Point of use hot water heater, french drain.

Added a 12' manual retractable awning from Menards to shade my patio. No garage, too hot to work in summer sun.
    Was always a dream but are expensive. Menards one is affordable. Retract for windy days, storms and winter.
    Works perfectly (east wall patio). Can sit under during rain. 20" box fans work great to cool and keep mosquitos away.
    A 18v drill with a large wall hook chucked in it works perfectly way better than the supplied crank.

A fav matching item is a 4' picnic table. Doubles as outside workbench. Metal tube kit. Not 8' but 4' for portability and is plenty.
    Took it once to the WDC car event. Fit perfect in the Ranger bed. Tipped it up on a handcart to move it.
    We bbq out there and was a treat to sit on under a PITA quick shade. Can be moved inside garage or left outside.
    Drilled 1" hole in top for large beach umbrella option. Five 4' 2x8, rounded all edges with router, carriage bolts, redwood stain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12