84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Last night i mocked up:
    ECM bracket & wiring
    engine harness, trans harness, EDIS module location
    firewall grommet
    heater box
    heater hoses

Everything looks good so far, but i'm sure a bunch of crap will come up lmao
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

My project for this summer, and now going into fall, has been rebuilding the engine in my '72 Mustang. O.K., I know it's not a four-eye but it's still a Mustang so I hope you'll forgive me.

With 118,000 miles, it was running great but leaking oil from the rear main, the timing cover, and every place else with the possible exception of the tire valves. Since I had to tear it down anyway to fix the leaks, I decided to build it up a little. It's bored .030" over, has Edelbrock SCCA heads, a Performer intake manifold with a 600 CFM Holley four-barrel, Keith Black pistons with a 10.4:1 compression ratio, and a Crower cam. The crankshaft was ground .010" undersize and balanced. I buttoned up the bottom end this morning and will install the heads either tomorrow or Monday. The engine goes back in the car next Saturday, weather permitting.

Ran into an interesting problem with the Edelbrock heads. The instructions say if a 289/302 block is a '71 or earlier then the steam vent holes in the block have to be re-drilled. The early blocks have the holes in the 12 o'clock position, as you're facing the piston and head gasket surface, and the later blocks have the holes at the 1 o'clock position, which is where Edelbrock put the matching holes in the cylinder head. The early Ford heads have slotted arcs that line up with the holes at the 12 o'clock position. Although my car is a '72, the block must have been a '71. I wasn't aware of the difference until after the block had been rebored and I had installed the pistons and rods. I had to - carefully - drill eight 1/8" holes in the block, thru cast iron a half inch thick, using a hand drill. One of my neighbors (a Chevy guy who is the original owner of an '81 Z-28, but I don't hold that against him) helped by watching to make sure I was keeping the drill perpendicular to the gasket surface. I ran the drill at low speed since I was drilling cast iron, and we got it done without breaking any drill bits in the block.
    Last edited by FuturaGuy; 10-02-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Successfully installed those louvers. Man, I've wanted a Fox body Mustang with window louvers since before I even wanted a Fox body Mustang!

Now I'm off to pick up a new fuel pressure regulator. And enjoy how cool my car looks now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT
    2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD
    2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    1985 Ford Mustang GT

FEP Member

Added plastic filter in fuel line before mechanical pump on my ’82 Continental last week. Plugged solid with black grit after 200 miles. Put spare fílter in - I can just reach it without jacking it up. Car had not been run for at least 10 years so not surprised. I will keep changing filters for a while hoping I won't have to drop the tank.

Installed rebuilt rearend in my 86 Coupe. 3:55 gears & Cobra disc breaks
    86 GT (Owned since 87)On going project
    86 #64 Saleen
    86 Coupe
    1980 Coupe(2)
    2003 Cobra
    2015 F-250

Installed the wideband a couple weeks ago, made a pod that replaces the ashtray/cigarette lighter panel.

Ordered PiMPxs standalone today, looking forward to trying my hand at EFI tuning.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

New engine parts for my 347 for my Pace Car. Thanks to Aaron (R85must) for the Twisted Wedge heads and Ed Curtis camshaft. Once I get the Bronco engine/trans swap finished up I can actually clean my garage and wrap up the 86 GT Road Racer quarter flares and then hopefully get to putting the 347 together. Excited the Pace Car will finally have some power to put the 03 Cobra brakes and IRS to good use!

Name:  IMG-7844.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  295.1 KB

Name:  IMG-7845.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  265.0 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    New engine parts for my 347 for my Pace Car. Thanks to Aaron (R85must) for the Twisted Wedge heads and Ed Curtis camshaft. Once I get the Bronco engine/trans swap finished up I can actually clean my garage and wrap up the 86 GT Road Racer quarter flares and then hopefully get to putting the 347 together. Excited the Pace Car will finally have some power to put the 03 Cobra brakes and IRS to good use!

Name:  IMG-7844.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  295.1 KB

Name:  IMG-7845.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  265.0 KB
    Are you posting you Bronco refresh somewhere?
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Are you posting you Bronco refresh somewhere?
    I probably should, but between work, projects, FEP, wife, kids, etc. I just haven't had the time. Hoping to get the drivetrain installed by this weekend. This project has taken WAY TOO MUCH TIME! Then again all of mine seem to.

Here's the 351W waiting to be mated to the transmission.

Name:  351 Windsor.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  254.5 KB

Here is the AOD after I completely overhauled and hopefully beefed it up a bit.

Name:  AOD (2).jpg
Views: 173
Size:  925.1 KB
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Mark 43 years the old oil burner here was built, Oct 3-5 1978.
    Hmm 351w with aod don't look bad at all. May be crate motor time here next year.
    Oh well, engine is in 2.3 n/a config, recent heavy oil consumption being an ongoing mystery.
    Valve seals no doubt helped but did not fix issue. Using car on local only duty no freeway speeds.
    Even with the oil thing, car is still a hoot to drive easy like a senior and when traffic is light.

A fairly fast car with a new smoke screen option.
    Spare oil, rags, and funnel kept onboard all the time now fit good disguised in a old Igloo Playmate picnic cooler.
    The oil consumption appears to be consistent for now. Much better with turbocharger 'disconnected'.
    Maybe i can direct the exhaust smoke to come out of the rear wheel wells like a burnout.
    Fool others it has 700 hp and smokes the tires at will.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Mark 43 years the old oil burner here was built, Oct 3-5 1978.
    Hmm 351w with aod don't look bad at all. May be crate motor time here next year.
    Oh well, engine is in 2.3 n/a config, recent heavy oil consumption being an ongoing mystery.
    Valve seals no doubt helped but did not fix issue. Using car on local only duty no freeway speeds.
    Even with the oil thing, car is still a hoot to drive easy like a senior and when traffic is light.

A fairly fast car with a new smoke screen option.
    Spare oil, rags, and funnel kept onboard all the time now fit good disguised in a old Igloo Playmate picnic cooler.
    The oil consumption appears to be consistent for now. Much better with turbocharger 'disconnected'.
    Maybe i can direct the exhaust smoke to come out of the rear wheel wells like a burnout.
    Fool others it has 700 hp and smokes the tires at will.
    Thanks!

Hey not sure that it is worth the trouble and expense of shipping, but I have a complete or at least mostly complete take out 1984 SVO engine that I have no need for. Send me a PM if you have any interest. I am swapping a 1986 SVO 2.3T into my 84 and have no use for the original engine at this time and honestly don't want to deal with storing it.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Took a short drive this morning to get the oil hot, then changed it and serviced things to await spring.

Started doing some work on the new project pace car. Installed the front coil springs and ordered some brake parts. Since I had the intake and valve covers off, I went ahead and did some cleaning/painting. Something in my brain doesn't let me reinstall roached parts, even if I'm just getting this thing movable under its own power.
    Name:  Screenshot_20211016-090322_Gallery.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  194.4 KB
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Took a short drive this morning to get the oil hot, then changed it and serviced things to await spring.
    So you like getting burned when you do an oil change? My preference is to not get burned.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    So you like getting burned when you do an oil change? My preference is to not get burned.
    Well, the oil needs to be warmed to drain properly and to get the bad stuff into suspension rather than being settled out. I did take a short lunch break between the drive and the oil change to allow the really hot bits to cool off somewhat.

Been working on wiring all day. Extended fuel pump, gas gauge and ground wires to their required location, loomed and wrapped them. Tested OK.
    Found "hot in start and run" wire at ignition switch, W/LB wire which goes to fox ignition module which i am not using. Spliced into that wire, and ran that to a relay. The ECM relay and fuel pump relay are hot all all times, the red/green wire from the donor ignition switch is the trigger for both of those relays.

So signal from fox ignition switch to one side of the relay, trigger wire from donor switch to the other side of the relay.
    With 12v and ground to the other 2 pins, when i turn the key on, the fuel pump primes and i have power at injectors and COPs.

Still have to splice into the BOO switch and run that to the ECM. Then i will test all 60 ECM pins for continuity and then change the oil and prime the engine with a bleach sprayer. Hopefully will fire the car up soon
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Installed the ECU this morning, started the car for the first time on Megasquirt. It started right up and idled, however the A/F ratio was 11.2:1. Let the tuning begin!
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

FEP Member

Finally got around to installing the rear cargo shade and washed the car. Had a new headliner put in last week.

Cleaned up some rear seats that I bought a few years ago. Thinking that they were going to be too rough to install, I traded a guy from offerup a set of tail lights for some repro seat covers (which I hate the look of). Actually traded for the seat covers and a mint set of door panels, which I don't need but have an issue with buying parts. Was a pretty good deal in my opinion.

Between a damp cloth, resolve carpet cleaner and Lysol with Hydrogen Peroxide Multi-Purpose Cleaner, oh and a wet dry vac, they came out pretty good!

Name:  seats2.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  378.9 KB

For the first time in 2 years I took the Zephyr to back to back car shows. And the first time driving it in almost a year.
    Yesterday the 16 mile round trip went without a hitch. Today, traveling the 5 miles to the show was uneventful except waiting in line for over an hour to be parked and having cars overheating left and right. I turned on the heater and got the temp back down to 200.
    After the show, I drove 2 blocks and then this happened.
    Name:  BEING TOWED.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  105.6 KB
    Why?
    See next post.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Name:  RAG JOINT.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  92.6 KB
    The car was un-steerable. I have had this happen over 25 years ago but I was closer to home and was able to travel side streets to get home.
    Glad it did not happen yesterday when I was on roads going 50 mph.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post

Are we not men? I thought all car guys were required to have a few burn scars on them.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Are we not men? I thought all car guys were required to have a few burn scars on them.
    Oh, I've got plenty. Any time I touch any sort of tool to do a project, I get a cut or a burn or laceration or... I could go on and on.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    The car was un-steerable. I have had this happen over 25 years ago but I was closer to home and was able to travel side streets to get home.
    Glad it did not happen yesterday when I was on roads going 50 mph.
    mine happened right after I backed out of the driveway, thank goodness. BANG, no steering.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast