Close

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Continued tuning the Megasquirt today, the cars running better than it ever has. Very surprised at how easy the swap/tuning has been. Wish I would have done it years ago.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Noticed my idle being wonky, like I had a vacuum leak. All looked ok. Finally noticed the vac line to the PCV was floppy loose. That'll do it. Fixed it and went up 10% in fuel economy (got 22 mpg driving to the coast and back with a little playing en-route) and feels a tad stronger.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Filled engine and radiator with coolant. Dropped the old oil, changed oil filter and added oil to filter. Finally got my shifter and cable installed. Needs a little adjustment but glad it's finally done. Some small wiring details, and priming the engine with oil, and she'll be ready to fire.

Last night i notice the rear window diece was not working. Brought out the wiring diagrams, noticed no fuse at location #9. Added 15a fuse, now had power to the switch. Still no power to the diece, no indicator light. Removed the switch and tried to bench test it. It's a momentary switch, so kind of hard to get good result from testing. Jumped out the switch, had power to diece and indicator light. Reinstalled the switch, and heard the diece relay click on. 12v to diece, indicator lamp lit. Manual says the diece relay is timed, roughly 10 minutes and should shut itself off.
    Hooked up the diece and let it ride to see if it would shut itself off. Back window did get warmer. Waited 20+ minutes, did not shut off. Turned it off with the switch, and heard the diece relay click and the circuit did shut off.
    So now when i hit the diece switch, sometimes it won't turn on. It will come on for a second but then turn off. If i hit the switch just right, it works fine and stays on. I'm not sure if it's the switch or the relay. I'll figure that out later.
    With no passenger mirror, i feel like the diece is pretty important. Gonna have to turn around to see the passenger side. I don't plan on driving in snow or anything but still need a clear back window lol
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I lost a week. Last Saturday I fixed the Zephyr's steering problem.
    Sunday I drove it to the Mustang Madness car show.
    There were 3 Foxes there. I met Ms. Foxbody. She owns this 1987 T-Top with a Supercharged 349 stroker and a vinyl wrap.
    Name:  RAG FIX.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  119.2 KB
    Name:  MSFOXBODY EX.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  156.1 KBName:  MSFOXBODY ENG.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  155.2 KB
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Default that time of year again in cold climates

"So now when i hit the diece switch, sometimes it won't turn on. It will come on for a second but then turn off. If i hit the switch just right, it works fine and stays on. I'm not sure if it's the switch or the relay. I'll figure that out later."

Mine does that sometimes. Maybe due to seasonal infrequent use. Once used more often, usually works fine.
    I just hold the switch until indicator stays lit. Gotta have the grid.
    My 79 EVTM shows deice switch has fuse in fuse block. Relay is powered thru a 16g fuse link and a yellow wire, hot side of starter solenoid.
    Have had the grid power wire (ds) break off the back glass several times. Found a solid fix back in Dec 2015 without any glue, etc.
    Still melts ice even though two of the grid horz 'painted wires' have broken circuit prob scratched when cleaning glass.
    Wish the car had the rear wiper option too. Could be added but a big job to retrofit.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    "So now when i hit the diece switch, sometimes it won't turn on. It will come on for a second but then turn off. If i hit the switch just right, it works fine and stays on. I'm not sure if it's the switch or the relay. I'll figure that out later."

Mine does that sometimes. Maybe due to seasonal infrequent use. Once used more often, usually works fine.
    I just hold the switch until indicator stays lit. Gotta have the grid.
    My 79 EVTM shows deice switch has fuse in fuse block. Relay is powered thru a 16g fuse link and a yellow wire, hot side of starter solenoid.
    Have had the grid power wire (ds) break off the back glass several times. Found a solid fix back in Dec 2015 without any glue, etc.
    Still melts ice even though two of the grid horz 'painted wires' have broken circuit prob scratched when cleaning glass.
    Wish the car had the rear wiper option too. Could be added but a big job to retrofit.
    Thank you so much for all the advice. Hard to find info on the "diece".
    Any advice on where to get a new diece relay?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

12v accessory 10 minute time delay relay? latch to on style adjustable
    they are in china. no one has them in stock domestically?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=12v+...4dUDCA4&uact=5

The 79 electrical shop manual v3 page 35-86-3/4 has pics and info how to test the deice switch and relay
    Defog term is used relating to a blower on the rear package tray of coupes.

Decent weather outside
    Got out the mini shop vac and spent an hour vacuuming tiny pebbles off all the black carpeting.
    Found the misplaced claw retrieval tool under the hatch carpet, on top of the spare tire cover. Dunno how or when it got there.
    Checked inop cigar lighter 12v wire with test light ok. Is tapped with 2 scotchlocs. Forgot why. Wiggled the wires lighter works again.
    Pulled spark plugs for check. A little dark looking in spots but no oily deposits.
    Last edited by gr79; 10-31-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Thank you for the info gr79!
    i will look into that.
    The diece relay is definitely not working well and will most likely need to be replaced with something.
    Made good progress today. Lots of wiring but finally finished.
    motor needs primed should fire this week

Got my new Corbeau GTS II seats installed to go with my reupholstered back seats.
    Name:  20211107_112449.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  791.9 KB
    Name:  20211107_110754.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  869.8 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Put the car up on the new wheel cribs I built and started removing the driveshaft.
    1/2 a can of MAPP gas and one split Snap-on socket later I finally got it out.
    Next step getting my aluminum Aerostar shaft rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by 0F0 CBR View Post
    Put the car up on the new wheel cribs I built and started removing the driveshaft.
    1/2 a can of MAPP gas and one split Snap-on socket later I finally got it out.
    Next step getting my aluminum Aerostar shaft rebuilt.
    I built a set of these and love them. I let a friend borrow them and he left them out in the weather for a year, so I need to build another set or two.

Do you mind sharing how you built yours? I used standard 2x4's with heavy framing nails and wood glue. I made them a little wider than they needed to be, so I'll probably make the new ones more narrow.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Yesterday i backed my car down to the end of my driveway, where it's asphalt.
    Gave it some gas and lit up the tires at half throttle lmao
    was fun as heck
    Car is not legal to drive on the street yet.

All I have to do is finish re-assembling the exhaust and I should be back on the road. Pulled everything apart to address an oil leak in back. Installed exhaust prior to installing tranny crossmember. Oops. Loosened it up again, installed crossmember, time to go in for dinner.
    Hopefully later today when we get back from the in-law's.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

The cribs I made are stackable like lego so I can have different heights.
    Used 2x4 on the flat and 2X3's on edge to give the height, 19" long by 12" wide.
    I added little blocks to the bottom of each segment so they do not shift when assembled.
    Finally gave them a coat of clear in case someone leaves them outside, or spills oil all over them.
    Name:  Crib.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  Crib2.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  116.9 KB

For the front I built ramps, the wheel chock behind the front tire is removable so I can drive up on them.

Name:  Crib3.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  92.5 KB

Make sure your design and materials can support whatever vehicle weight you plan to put on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 0F0 CBR View Post
    The cribs I made are stackable like lego so I can have different heights.
    Used 2x4 on the flat and 2X3's on edge to give the height, 19" long by 12" wide.
    I added little blocks to the bottom of each segment so they do not shift when assembled.
    Finally gave them a coat of clear in case someone leaves them outside, or spills oil all over them.
    Name:  Crib.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  Crib2.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  116.9 KB

For the front I built ramps, the wheel chock behind the front tire is removable so I can drive up on them.

Name:  Crib3.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  92.5 KB

Make sure your design and materials can support whatever vehicle weight you plan to put on them.
    Those are Great! What part of Ontario are you in?

Default sno time again no garage

Pushed couple inches of wet snow off of it before it freezes up anything.
    Emptied both headlight buckets. Buckets that don't hold water, but work too well to trap snow and road slush.
    Nylon windshield cover with eight ring magnets working perfectly to cover cowl grill and entire wiper assy.
    Cover also worked great keeping neighbor's dam locust tree fall leaf drop out and away from the cowl and wiper area.

Later this winter, will use several poly tarps and more magnets, bungees, again to cover larger areas.
    Scraping ice off windows sucks.
    One big tarp cover is hard to work with in the wind.
    Like to take all coves off on cold but sunny winter days to let trapped moisture escape.

Can you please tell how you fixed it?
    Both sides fell off on my back glass.
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Hans.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

Default rear window deice grid tab mod/repair

Hans, this mod has proved much more durable than trying to reattach the oe grid tab back onto the glass.
    Parts:
    -Regular 'y' wire terminal 'tree' connector.
    -Short section of 16g wire
    -Two male spade type wire connectors.
    -Shrink tube optional to finish the wire nicely.

Custom make a short extension connector with 16g wire covered with shrink tubing for a nice tight relaxed 90° bend.
    The factory wire is not long enough and too thick to make a tight bend. Prob why they break off the tab from the glass.

Simply crimped a male connector on one end of wire, slid on shrink tube, crimped a male connector on the other end.
    Connected new custom extension wire to existing factory grid wire's terminal and to new 'y' terminal connector tab.
    Carefully sandwiched new y connector 'tree' tab into glass rubber to make contact with glass grid side strip stenciled on the glass.
    Can test each connection by probing with a multi meter.
    If wire tree gets pulled out accidentally from the grid, simply reinsert. Does not seem to scratch or harm the grid material.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by gr79; 11-29-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Drove 6 miles to store. Staying close to home with it just in case.
    Weekly drive to charge battery and to monitor heavy oil consumption as to miles per quart.
    Once warmed up, squirted Seafoam into intake then let car sit off for 10 minutes. Maybe a ring is stuck.
    Other than heavy smoke at times, drives like it always did. Has power, no odd noises or knocking.
    Engine cold started, idled and ran smooth once warm as usual idle vac normal 18"+ rock steady.
    Will be pulling plugs for reinspection at a later date.
    Rubbed on silicone paste onto door seals, an annual task for winter.

New floor mats came in lol.
    Name:  20211204_122425.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  725.9 KB
    Name:  20211204_122726.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  758.6 KB
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Found out the hard way that if you start your car with the driveshaft out all of the trany fluid runs out the back onto the floor.

Been porting the Explorer lower intake. It's taking a lot of time, but it's turning out well.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

With no garage to avoid getting rained on, nothing. And my replacement hand held unit for the FiTech arrived this last week - haven't been able to do anything about it yet. Darn shallow carport. This is with the rear bumper 1/2" from back wall. Even our Elantra sticks out. Snow coming tomorrow through most of the week with lows down to the teens.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

so AFTER 8 months I got my new 347 built and have been hooking up stuff, some other little new parts. I decided to leave off the blower for now and just run all motor as it was dynoed at 430HP so good for now (but will be selling the blower its a powerdyne) make me an offerName:  thumbnail (11).jpg
Views: 76
Size:  25.0 KB
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910