Close

Default Best long tube headers.

Thinking of switching my exhaust to long tube headers with 3" collectors. What brand would be the easiest to install.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BBK makes a decent header, but I don't know if they have any true 3" collector LT headers for the 302W/5.0s, I think they may all be 2.5" collectors?

If you want a high quality, somewhat easy to install header, these should be what you want... https://americanracingheaders.com/co...9-1993-headers
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Quikk86 View Post
    BBK makes a decent header, but I don't know if they have any true 3" collector LT headers for the 302W/5.0s, I think they may all be 2.5" collectors?

If you want a high quality, somewhat easy to install header, these should be what you want... https://americanracingheaders.com/co...9-1993-headers
    Thanks, The shop that dyno my engine said to get maximum hp from it was to change my exhaust to Lt headers and increase to 3" and change cam. Said exhaust to restricted, have aftermarket h no cats with bbk shorties also said cam undersized . Not sure if I want to do. Engine runs fine and not sure if I want max power. Car is weekend driver no track time. Time and money will determine decision.

FEP Member

What cam are you currently running?

What is your current engine combo? Carb? EFI?
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Running 750 quick fuel, cam numbers not sure, 363, heads are brodix. I need to get back with engine builder to get specific numbers . Right now 306 hp at wheels and 368 torque, afr is correct.

Is it a low compression 363? With the power output, I'm guessing the cam is extremely mild.
    Mark

'88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

FEP Member

While we're asking, automatic or manual? What rear end ratio?

A more radical cam will move the power band to a higher rpm range, which you know. You might have to get a different torque converter and/or change the rear axle ratio to match the usable power range. A weekend cruiser may not be much fun if you have rev the engine to 3500 rpm to pull away from a stop sign or move up one car length in the line to the Dairy Queen window.
    Last edited by darkd0r; 02-03-2021 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    While we're asking, automatic or manual? What rear end ratio?

A more radical cam will move the power band to a higher rpm range, which you know. You might have to get a different torque converter and/or change the rear axle ratio to match the usable power range. A weekend cruiser may not be much fun if you have rev the engine to 3500 rpm to pull away from a stop sign or move up one car
    length in the line to the Dairy Queen window.
    Manual t5z rear end 373.

I bought cooks long tubes. They were real expensive and I was mever really satisfied. Whatever u get it would make sure they come powder coated.
    Theodore J. Garbera, 1985 Mercury Capri RS