Close

Thread: Retro Fit A/C

Default Retro Fit A/C

Does anyone know of any companies that manufacture retro fot A/C for our cars? My car wasn’t optioned as such so I’m curious as to if this is even available if I wanted to ever look into it.
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

I am sure there are still some companies out there that offer some type of kit to do a conversion. Not sure that any are truly specific to our Foxes at this point due to the overall age of the vehicles. Most likely they will be a general "universal" type setup that can be made to work. That is unless you happen to find some NOS kits that were offered back in the day for the early Foxes.

The other option, although maybe a bit more time consuming would be to piece together all the OEM parts needed for the OEM A/C setup and install that in your Fox. That is what I did on my 79 PC many years ago. I took all the parts and pieces from a 1986 model and installed them in my PC to add A/C. Definitely didn't come with instructions or diagrams, but looks original and works just like the original without any of the issues of many of the aftermarket kits IMHO. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Power Member

Back in the day you could get a dealer installed ac kit. Probably pretty tough finding one of those these days.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Back in the day you could get a dealer installed ac kit. Probably pretty tough finding one of those these days.
    I actually had one of those in my 79. Wish I had the parts from it now!
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

I'm currently adding ac. It's not cheap or easy. I'd suggest the universal kit if you don't mind appearance. Mine will be fully functional although I won't have the oem vent for ducts so the defrost I believe will always blow when on.

See
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ry-AC-question

and https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...e-hvac.910574/

And

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-no-A-c-to-A-c

Im with homer302 all the way. Backlit controls and mama happy Cyclone 1970 Hair untangling vents and the potential boost of having a Fox with functional air have to be traded off with fitting things around a Big Block 460 and the evaporator line changes. This is all a labor of total love to make happen.

The AC blend door system is different on AC Foxes.

The good thing is with the strip, rip and delete sheet mentaility of some Fox owners, you can do a blend door and ac core change.

Try these three posts. Normally, I quote, but there are pictures best left in tact in the forums.

Any problems, bump up the thread. I grew up with 110 degree summers and non AC, no through flow ventilation Fords but as soon as the Foxes progressed from Box Top Fairmonts to Mustangs and Aero Birds, windshields became flatter higher number 52 to 60 degree slopes, AC becomes something you dony wanna go without. Total hot houses in a small 69 to 71 inch wide car.

When you go stock factory, using vaccum fittings and having the whole unit so akwardly placed if you have prroper Big Block...Id follow Mike1157s recirculating and face, feet and defrost system.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...70#post1755270

Vintage Air has spent a lot of time changing the stuff that Ford put in, but if anything goes wrong, its easier to service.