Close

Thread: I4 to V8 swap

Default I4 to V8 swap

1988 Turbo Coupe is getting a heart transplant. Sometime this year, and the swap is an early 70s 302 with 69 closed chamber heads, 3/4 race cam, and an aluminum holley intake. backed up to an 1989 AOD. I have a parts car(89 lincoln mark Going to use as many parts from the lincoln as possible. Like the H.O. exhaust manifolds trans crossmember/dual exhaust trans bracket, drive shaft, shifter cable and tv cable for trans valve body. Going to use a Holley card EFI setup to control it all. And before anyone says that i need to leave the turbo 4, It is badly damaged(anitfreeze in cylinder 3 and 4, and auto trans is gone after it went full boost and shattered 2nd gear)

Let me know if there is anything that needs to adressed or could be better.

Would the Stock fuel system work with the Sniper EFI, Just run new fuel lines from the in-tank pump(feed/return)

If the sniper system requires the same fuel pressure and has a return style system then yes the pump will work for what you are doing, I've been looking into the Holley 2300 efi conversion for my dads 79 supercab short bed as well as for one of my 79 mustang with the 2.8 and they dont use a return line and produce 58 psi of fuel pressure from what I remember reading.
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!

If you were closer to me I'd want that stock tc to setup, those motor are bullet proof and the stock bottom ends are good to roughly 400 hp, i played with them for a few years before wanting to make atleast 600 whp and the 2.3 takes decent amount of money to get you there.
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!

I have two turbo coupes one is trashed but still runs with 98k miles, and you seen about the one that's being pulled. Have not decided on what to do with this one(scrap or rebuild)

I hope this post is not dead, I have a change to the build on the I4 to V8. Still using the older block and closed chamber heads, but will a later like 91 GT mustang intake fit that block? I have found the holly terminator x system and have the complete wiring harness for a 91 Foxbody mustang and wanted to know if there were any thing that would interfere with this?

It will work fine. I like those heads you're using. I have a set sitting in my garage right now. I plan on using them when I get around to building my 82 capri. They've had larger valves put in somewhere along the way and a ton of port work. I had them on my 88gt until I gave the car to a friend. He recently floated a valve and upgraded to aluminum heads, so he let me have the old ones back. They made really good power. I also have a freshly rebuilt 351w sitting on a stand ready to go in the wife's 79 cobra. On that one, I used 1970 (d0oe) heads, which are very close to the 69 casting.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 03-24-2021 at 02:19 AM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Got to a junkyard and get an intake off of a 5.0 explorer, substantially better than stock mustang intake.

I can get my hands on 4 upper and lowers, On a side question how would they affect vacuum for a SD system(88 bird in profile pic) The motor going into it is an 89 mark 7 HO, 195cc heads, 1.6 roller rockers 3/8s studs, and stock HO cam. And the 69 Closed chamber 70s block 302 was orignally built by my dad when he was 18 then preceded to put it into the family 73 LTD. He claimed that his brother's 74 Z28 Camaro could not keep up with a 4 door family car.