Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Problem is what is the older ATF? They dont make it anymore and it's been replaced by different stuff a bunch of times. Then people argue over what's the right fluid to use and you cant get a straight answer. The only ATF that I know of that's for older fords and the stuff I used for my power steering is the type F
    Use the Syncromesh fluid and don't stress about it. I guarantee it will shift smoother and better than it ever has and will do just fine. As much as I am anti-GM, that is a great lubricant for a T5. I also guarantee that a T5 with 50wt oil will shift like a dump truck.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Use the Syncromesh fluid and don't stress about it. I guarantee it will shift smoother and better than it ever has and will do just fine. As much as I am anti-GM, that is a great lubricant for a T5. I also guarantee that a T5 with 50wt oil will shift like a dump truck.
    Thanks Trey, that's what I'm going to do. Now do I need to drain all the old fluid out and flush it with something or can I just drain what's in there and add the new stuff?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Thanks Trey, that's what I'm going to do. Now do I need to drain all the old fluid out and flush it with something or can I just drain what's in there and add the new stuff?
    I would drain as much of the old fluid out as possible. I personally wouldn't "flush" the internal with anything, the draining alone should be enough. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I would drain as much of the old fluid out as possible. I personally wouldn't "flush" the internal with anything, the draining alone should be enough. Good luck!
    Ok, thanks again for the help. Thanks everyone for all your opinions and help.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Sask84gt, please let us know how your NWC shifting feels after the Synchromesh is in. My WC with ATF DEXRON III doesn't feel much different shifting but that was just a drain and refill. I don't think the t5 shifts as slippery smooth as my old transmissions in other cars and trucks did but the linkage is tighter, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JD302 View Post
    Sask84gt, please let us know how your NWC shifting feels after the Synchromesh is in. My WC with ATF DEXRON III doesn't feel much different shifting but that was just a drain and refill. I don't think the t5 shifts as slippery smooth as my old transmissions in other cars and trucks did but the linkage is tighter, thanks
    Well the unfortunate thing is I've never drove this car so I have no idea how the trans shifted before. However, I will bump this thread when I finally get to take this mess for a drive lol. Won't be until spring/early summer here.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

FEP Power Member

I plan to change the oil in my 84 GT as is seems slow going into first at times at 63 k miles. My 84 SVO never had any issues at 24 k miles. I put a new SVE shifter on the GT, maybe a slight improvement. Everyone has told me RedLine would improvement. We will see.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Senior Member

I used RL MTL in the past and the sychros didn't seem to work as well and there would be grinding. Went back to ATF and worked fine.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Ok, I know the fluid that's in it currently is red. Is it better to drain it completely and add whatever fluid I choose or can I just top it up?
    The Pennzoil synchromesh did used to have a reddish tint to it. Not sure if it still does. The GM synchromesh was just a light colored oil. I've used them both and my impression is the GM version works better. Less nibbles into gear at high rpm on my Tremec 3550's. Especially when cold.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

So I cant get my hands of some of the pennziol synchromesh but they have the ac delco synchromesh. I think it also has friction modifier in it. Would this be pretty much the same as the gm/ pennzoil?
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I believe the AC Delco Synchromesh is actually OE replacement. Pretty sure it is a direct replacement just in the AC Delco bottle rather than the GM. Not 100% on that, but I believe that is the case. I would use it without any concerns in my T5. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I believe the AC Delco Synchromesh is actually OE replacement. Pretty sure it is a direct replacement just in the AC Delco bottle rather than the GM. Not 100% on that, but I believe that is the case. I would use it without any concerns in my T5. Good Luck!
    Must be because every time I try to search gm synchromesh the AC delco comes up. Just wasn't sure about the friction modifier. There is 2 types one without and one with.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Have another rookie question. Not sure if it matters. The car won't be getting driven for at least another 4-5 months( winter here) does it matter if I change fluid out now and it sits for that long? Or is better to just leave it and change it when it gets closer to when I'm going to drive it? I want to install my short throw shifter and figured it be easier to change and fill when it's off.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12