Close

Default Reversing aero quarter windows

What challenges are there in reversing an aero quarter window install on an 83 hatch to bring it back to the 83 style?
    PO also upgraded inside plastic quarters and I am ok keeping them if they work with original windows.

I found several posts on people putting in newer windows but not sure of issues returning to stock with later model interior.
    In addition to windows and trim, I think I’ll have to source longer rain gutter trim ? Unsure about needing early interior trim?

Haven’t bought the car yet but want to know what I’m getting into as I’m leaning towards original look.

thx Steve
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

FEP Member

I did my 82. I put the original style quarter glass and trim, original style quarter plastics and outside trim back on. Don't forget to tint the quarter glass before you put them in, much easier. Hardest part was cleaning up the sealer and replacing that.

Thx KWH, were you converting back from the aeroglass?
    I am comfortable with installing the original design parts but uncertain about how the mods messed up the rain gutter trim and whether i can still use the newer interior quarter panel?

Thx steve
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT

FEP Member

Using aero quarters you had to change the quarter plastics inside or there would be a gap between them and the window IIR. Mine were left original and had that gap. They also left the drip rail trim original and folded the aero glass flap down or under, I can't remember. Many just cut that tab off but it was left on mine. Mine is a T-top car so it may be a little different. If the trim was replaced for the aero, it shouldn't be an issue putting the original style back on.

Thanks KWH. Thats what i needed to understand. The interior gap makes sense as the aero window was pushed out. Theoretically that would mean Id have to trim the aero interior panels back as the early window would be inset into the interior. Trimming the plastic seems manageable for an old car model builder !
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT

FEP Member

Or you can look for the earlier quarter plastics. Either way, good luck, you can get it done.

FEP Senior Member

The stock glass was held in with clamps, you will need some of them too.

The aero windows bolt on from the outside using the sail panel holes and several additional holes in tabs that are on the quarter panel metal. The additional tabs are not on the 79-86 quarter panels, so depending on who is doing the conversion, some add the tabs with strips of metal or just leave them off entirely. The roof rail is shorter on the aero cars due to the windows having part of the molding on them.

Reversal should be pulling the interior quarter panel out. Remove the aero quarter window and the roof rail trim. You will need the 79-86 quarter glass, clips, screws, trim pieces, sail panels, and either butyl tape or urethane window weld.

Install the roof rail trim first since it goes over the sail panel. There are several clips that hold it onto the pinch weld and generally some butyl tape to help prevent water dripping inside the door. There is also the single screw on the lower A pillar. I like to install the quarter sail panel next since it allows me to reach through the opening to hold it in place while installing. Don't forget some strip caulk on the studs to prevent water infiltration. Quarter glass installs from inside and is held in place with the metal clips and screws. Make sure to install the outer trim first, butyl tape, window, and clips.

If reusing the aero interior quarter panels you will need to trim @3/4" off the window opening area for it to fit properly with the original quarter glass. The aero interior quarter panels are deeper in the window area since the aero windows are installed from the outside. I recommend measuring as best you can to determine how much you need to cut off, but in my experience generally 3/4" is pretty accurate, but it can be slightly more or less due to build tolerances. Hope that helps and good luck with the conversion back to stock.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Trey, Thx for filling out the parts needed and detailling the re- assembly process. Very do-able.
    Back to me to see what I can do on getting a deal done!
    Steve
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT

I recently did this with my '86 coupe. I had trouble finding was the inside support brackets (clamps) for the window glass and the 4-eye coupe specific roof rail trim.

If you don't already have it, I have a "decent" set of 4-eye hatchback roof rail trim.
    John Brown
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe
    Instagram @wilwaxu
    Facebook @wilwaxu

Thx John. Ill keep you in mind if I buy the car next week.
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT

Thanks all for help. Decided not to purchase car because it was a OEM sunroof Capri that didn’t give me enough headroom.
    unbelievably nice low miles car though, so I’ll post link to the ad in classified.
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT