Close

Thread: It runs!

Default It runs! And now not so much... See post# 4

Started the car today again and tinkered with the Fitech to get the IAC steps within parameters. Funny they don't include this with the regular instructions, but got a good sounding and steady 750 rpm idle today!

Electric fans kicked on at a good point and temp stayed normal throughout. TPS and IAC numbers looked good.

Tomorrow I plan to install the V8 throttle cable. Secure the rest of the front suspension (proper antisway bar bushings, get an eyeball alignment and secure the tie rod ends).

Then when it's not raining, bleed the brakes and I should be able to road test. I found NOS window run channel for the front, and of course I have other little things to do. But I hope to be drivable by this next week!

Then drive it to work on the day I get an alignment scheduled. This week or next give or take.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 01-10-2021 at 06:53 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Well done! Wait, what? No video?

Mike

Congratulations!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

So was tinkering with it today. Got it up to temp. All sounded great. And then..... tick tick tick - lifter noise. Again???? I had the #8 intake bad from the start and replaced it prior to running the motor with the FiTech. Today #1 intake started ticking after about 15 mins. Pulled VC off and I can compress it easy so it isn't staying pumped up. Damnit! Looks like I am pulling the intake again. Probably inspect the cam lobes good and replace ALL the lifters.

But, thing is there was gooey stuff scattered on the head surface. Like boogers. I used Lucas assembly lube when I assembled it, in the little 4 oz or so squeeze bottle and it looks kinda like that. A lot like it actually. Also some black debris, very soft like thick oil or grease. Wondering if it is ARP lube, the stuff that squished out from under the head bolt washers.

One step forward and three back again I guess. Wondering if:

1- Just got a bad set of lifters. Plan to contact Summit as I got the cam/lifters from them (Crane)
    2- If I didn't clean them well enough prior to install. Thought I did as I followed their instructions.
    3- If I am just doomed, though I don't detect any metal in the gunk at all. Nothing shiny, etc. Just goobery stuff.

I really miss my shop from my last house. This little carport sucks when this is going on.
    Last edited by richpet; 01-11-2021 at 09:08 AM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

So the junk is assembly lube and I think the black really is ARP lube. Gonna pull the intake again and replace ALL the lifters - since two of this set have failed just going to do it all. And clean everything up.
    With less than 45 minutes on the motor the cam should be good (I will eyeball it and the base of each removed lifter).
    Going to go with a set of Crower cam saver lifters. Great reviews, potentially quieter, a little more oil to the cam lobes. I am not going to spin past 5800 so they should be good.

Do you watch Uncle Tony's Garage on YT? He did a couple episodes on the poor quality of flat tappet lifters. He had several failures like yours. Hopefully the Crower set works out for you.
    Things Have Changed...And It's Really Not Good - YouTube
    Deadly Auto Parts Store Mistake - YouTube
    Last edited by gmatt; 01-11-2021 at 10:14 PM.

I haven't, no. It's reassuring that I didn't (I don't think anyway) screw stuff up. I will check out those links, thanks!