Close

Default Dual exhaust on 85 Tbird

I want to install dual exhaust on my 85 Tbird 5.0. I have factory Mustang headers and h-pipe. How much of a headache am I looking at and will tailpipes from 85-86 mustang style work? Thank you for any tips/ suggestions
    Ray.

You’ll need a double hump transmission crossmember, and if the floor pan is longer than a mustang then you’ll need flow tubes to the mufflers longer than a mustang. Hopefully it has a single fuel pump, if it has the 2 pump system then you’ll need to convert it to a single in tank pump and get rid of the rail pump/filter (sits in the area that the passenger muffler goes). If it has a 7.5 rear axle then you’ll also need to relocate the brake lines from the body to the axle since that brake line/hose is in the location of the passenger tail pipe. For the tailpipes I would look into Stinger Performance, they have a tailpipe kit for Fairmonts/Thunderbirds that should fit (will probably need hangers added for the dual pipes). So in summary it could be easy or it can be rather involved to go with dual exhaust and tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

It was easy on my 86 TC for lack of duals coming from the engine (down pipe to converter and a y pipe to duals). All I needed to do was re-locate my fuel filter for the other muffler.
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

I suspect 85=CFI and that = 2 fuel pumps. Back in the day (80's), I had a shop run duals on my 85 V8 cougar. Was a $100.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    This is true!
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0