Close

Default 1984 GT 350 ANNIVERSARY 2.3 TURBO NO POWER FROM FUSE BOX TO HEATER CONTROLS HELP

HI all
    We are working on said car. I have a new blower motor a new resistor a new old stock blower switch I have power at blower motor fuse its 30 amp I have no power to the hvac control panel at dash or at the resistor or blower motor . I do not see any other wires to check. Need some help I cant find a wire diagram. I am also not sure if Our car was factory ac or not not sure how to tell ? Th compressor and some lines are missing. All help would be great!

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...79-1986-in-PDF

Moved to the electrical section as that is more appropriate for your questions. Check the fuse panel. I believe there is a fuse for the HVAC panel. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

The factory ac car will have 4 holes in the fire wall for hoses. Non-ac cars only have 2 holes.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Do you mean 2 for ac 2 for heater core?

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by GUSS View Post
    Do you mean 2 for ac 2 for heater core?
    Yes. That is correct.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

The number of hoses in the firewall doesn't help unless you are specifically talking about an A/C vs NON A/C vehicle. Aftermarket A/C add on vehicles have 4 hoses or lines also.

Factory A/C cars will have the two holes for the heater cores in the firewall and on a 1984 model there will be a large square cut out above and the the passenger side of the heater hoses that is sealed with a foam piece and the larger Accumulator and smaller Condenser metal lines will come through that foam piece. There are 4 vents in the dash with two vents in the panel above the glove box. The HVAC controller will have A/C, Max, etc. on the face plate for the lever on the left.

Aftermarket A/C cars do not have the square opening. The heater hoses are generally higher up and slightly more to the passenger side away from the engine on the firewall. The A/C lines are often rubber hoses and not metal lines and they go through two drilled holes on the firewall. I believe in '84 the Non OEM A/C cars should only have 2 vents with only the outside of the panel above the glove box and the outside of the instrument cluster having the vent. If the car has aftermarket A/C it will most likely have 4 vents, but the two vents near the center of the vehicle generally don't match the outside vents where on the Factory A/C cars they do. Many of the aftermarket A/C add-ons may have controls in the vent on the right side of the instrument cluster.

Still either way, in regards to your first question, I believe the control panel receives power from the fuse panel, so either just remove the dash panel to gain access and verify by checking the panel or use the link above to trace the power supply in the linked to wiring diagram. If you have power to the panel blower switch, but can't get power to the blower motor, then the switch is bad, the wiring from switch to blower motor is bad, blower motor resistor is bad, or blower motor is bad. Of course it can often be as simple as a bad ground somewhere in the circuit too. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

HI All I need help 84 has factory ac
    I have power at fuse location 9 its a 30 amp it is good I have a NEW blower motor new resistor from LMR I have a New blower switch. I have no power to the blower motor or resistor. only power I see is power for rear defrost switch power at the lights that light up the hvac panel I have power at the white with red strip on the hvac plate believe is more light its in the top plug has a red plastic plug is straight across like in a line. I have console out have power in all there plug for back of console all are white with red tracer I believe. I have no I dea what's going on I order a New ignition switch seen that could be it. I would take ANY AND ALL HELP Please!!!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 01-12-2021 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Text Color

The Brown with Orange Tracer (BR-O) should be the power supply from Fuse #9 to the back of the HVAC control panel that powers the Blower Switch. Verify if you have power at that plug. If you do, but still nothing coming out of the switch then there is a chance your control unit may be defective. If you don't have power at the plug, then you most likely have break in the wire from the fuse panel.

You also need to make sure the White with Pink (W-P) has power to the switch position on the HVAC control unit. That also needs to placed in some position other than OFF for power to flow to the blow motor. If you don't have power at the switch plug you need to verify Fuse #6 for power from the fuse panel. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FUES 6? ON my car blower fuse is location 9 and is good 30 amp. with power to it both sides the blower switch has its own fuse in location 6??

Blower motor power flows thru the switch to the motor itself that is fuse #9. Fuse #6 is power for the actual HVAC switch that controls the A/C compressor and where the air actually comes out of the dash.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I just checked fuse 6 is good but no power anywhere at switch or any of the other blower related. I hopefully will get the new ignition switch to morrow see if thats it . If not weekend pulling dash apart chasing wires. I hate electrical .
    Thanks for the info wraithracing

So just to clarify, there is a switch on the lever of the HVAC controls. The lever that goes from off to MAX AC, Defrost, Vent Etc. If that is not working, I do not think the blower will have power. Once you move the lever from off, it powers the blower motor. You are going to have to take out your hvac controls and check that.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

THE FAN HI MED LOW blower switch is the one we are talking about speed switch . Yes my control panel is out. I would post pics but not sure how I see the BBB image code but I dot have a hosting site.

As we mentioned above there are two switches in the HVAC panel that will control the functions of the blower motor. The fan speed switch is just that, it controls the different speeds the fan operates at. The other switch is the "main" on/off switch for the entire panel that is the lever in the middle that will have OFF, Max A/C, A/C, Vent, Hi-Lo, Heat, (Defroster symbol) or something to that effect depending on the exact year model. This lever must be moved to a position other than OFF for the fan motor to operate. The fan switch has no "OFF" position, that is controlled by the middle position lever.

Here is a picture of a HVAC unit.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  123.0 KB

Lever on the left hand side is mechanical and operates the blend door that separates the evaporator core and the heater core.

Middle lever is an electrical/vacuum switch that operates as the ON/OFF for the HVAC system and moves the air through the different vents. This is also how power is sent to the A/C compressor through the low pressure switch to turn the compressor on during A/C and Defrost settings. If this switch is not in a position other than OFF there will be no power flowing to the fan motor. If this switch is defect then again, there will be no power flowing to the fan motor.

Lower Right lever is the Fan speed switch that controls low, med, and high speed of the blower motor.

Upper Right is where the Rear Defroster lever would be for the heated back window if so equipped.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

NICE Thanks for that Clarification

HI All after all the help from you and some other sources I have got power to blower and Finally its work as should.
    It turned out to be the ignition switch I installed it a little bit ago. I had no other electrical issue at all . I found an old thread on hear that some on chimed in and said they had no electrical issues but they had same as me they swapped it out they had their blower working again. I also seen it on another forum not sure what one. So thanks for the help on this one. I was ant sure I f I had factory air or not with this 84 got that cleared up as well . That's good because our compresor is missing and a few lines. that will be done in the spring.
    Thanks again love this forum!!

Awesome! Glad you got it working and it was a rather simple repair.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller