Close

Default Brake pads cobra brakes all the way around 84 vert

Well thought I would start a new survey .Letts see what people think of brake pads for a street cruiser no race. What pads do you run do you like them?
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

While we're at it, let's take a poll for oil brand & weight and spark plug brand & gap, too!

Personally, brake pad choice on a street car largely comes down to brake dust - go with ceramics if you don't want much dust, go with semi-metallics if you're willing to clean the wheels more frequently in exchange for a bit more performance. Once you've made that choice, go to Rockauto.com and look at the bazillions of pad options for a Cobra (I selected a '96 Mustang with the DOHC 4.6 to get to the pad options). I've run performance street pads from Mintex, Carbotech, Porterfield, Hawk, Stoptech and probably a couple others on my various cars since the late '90s. But over the past 4 or 5 years, I've found that there's no need to spend the big bucks on those performance brands when I can get perfectly good street pads for 1/3-1/2 the price on Rock Auto.

I've shifted my two daily drivers to Powerstop performance carbon-ceramics (Z23 and Z26), as I got tired of all the brake dust from semi-metallics. I find the Powerstops to do just fine for a bit of "spirited" street driving, and the reduced dust is very welcome.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

You left out the spark plug gap
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

I buy whatever I can get free shipping on,
    I usually try to get a name brand like Raybestos or Wagner. The top level Napa house brands have been good to me also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have run several brands and pad compounds over the years as well. The current set on my 16 s550 came with the big Brembos and have over 33K miles on them. I've auto-crossed and open tracked the car with little dusting. AFAIK, they are stock Ford performance pads. They work very well.

I've pretty much settled on Hawk HPs on the other cars which are AXed and OTed as well. These pads provide good life, are easy on rotors and perform well when performance driving.