Close

FEP Power Member

Default 85 GT Lowering Springs

Hey guys, just wondering whats the best lowering springs out there for our cars? I'm not looking for a huge drop just maybe an inch at most. Thanks

I have only tried a couple of brands myself. I have used Steeda and LMR's lowering springs in the past. The Steeda springs dropped my 85 GT about an inch without being to rough. The LMR springs were an older set that was linear, not progressive, they lowered my 90 LX about 1.5 inches but rode pretty dang rough. I'm sure there are some guys on here that have tried a lot of other springs and will give some good advice.
    I plan on using the Steeda springs again in my 83 GT, as I am looking for a 1 inch drop on mine as well.
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.

You can't go wrong with FRPP springs. I've had a great experience with them! The B springs specifically.

I bought the entire Bilstein lower spring, strut/shock kit from Summit. Approximately a 1 1/2" drop in front, 1.0" in the rear. Best money I've spent on my '85 GT convertible.
    '85 Mustang convertible GT, 5 speed, 4V
    Stock bottom end, Comp Cams XE264HR-14, GT-40P heads w/ Alex's springs, Weiand 8124 Street Warrior,
    Summit Racing 600CFM carb, 8.8 Turbo Coupe rear end w/ 3.55 gears, '94/'95 Cobra brakes, '85 Town Car M/C, '93 Cobra booster, MM Panhard Bar, MM Strut Tower Brace, MM 4 point K-member Brace

'68 Mercury Cougar, w/ '88 5.0L, 4V
    My photo website:
    http://www.twilightphoto.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 854vragtop View Post
    I bought the entire Bilstein lower spring, strut/shock kit from Summit. Approximately a 1 1/2" drop in front, 1.0" in the rear. Best money I've spent on my '85 GT convertible.
    But you have sn95 front spindles. The Bilstein kit won't fit the 85 spindle unless it was built for that model and it comes with spacers for the sn95 spindle.

OP - originally I went with FRPP "C" springs on my 86 with Monroe Formula GP struts and shocks. The dampers were valved a little too soft for those springs. On my 01 Cobra, I used H&R Super Sports. Frankly, I liked the H&Rs better. The Cs lowered the car but the ride was pretty rough. Granted, the poor ride is more a function of the suspension bushings and the Cobra ran an IRS, but it still had the same design bushings as the 86. Whatever spring package you use, be sure the dampers can handle the spring rates.

I'd recommend a set of H&R springs and some Koni yellow shocks. Pick springs of your desired lowering and adjust the Konis to your liking.

I installed the Steeda springs on my 83 GT about a month ago, lowered the front 2 full inches, but only lowered the rear 1/2 inch and that was after taking out the rear spring isolators. Firmed up the ride but is not harsh, I like how rides with the Steeda springs and got rid if the marshmallow ride the stock springs had. I also installed prothane front sway bar bushings and end links, and swapped the 83 GT 12.7 mm rear sway bar for a 99 Mustang GT 24mm sway bar. I’m kept the factory 83 GT 1 1/8 front sway bar.
    The handling is night and day improvement after the changes, I love how drives now.
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0L, TRX Pkg, T-Tops, 4 Spd, Polar White, Medium Red Interior, Built 11/22/82, 15,400 original miles, with the original 38 yr old Michelins still on it. Added LMR 17" mesh wheels w/Nitto NT555’s.

If you're not looking for a major drop, the Ford Performance 5300 C/B springs are a great choice. The C's are specific and the B's are progressive rate. Only 1/2" in the rear and near 9/10" in the front.
    1986 Mustang GT -DGM- Trick Flow 360 HP Top End Kit. TF 170CC Heads, TF Track Max Cam, TF TM Intake
    1999 Mustang GT -Garrett 67mm Turbo, E85 on 18lbs, Built SB, Cammed, 03 Cobra IRS, 675 RWHP- SOLD
    2013 Subaru WRX -FMS TMIC, Cobb AP, Full TBE -Catted DP, Whiteline Suspension Mods, 308/339-TOTALED.
    2012 Mustang GT -SCT X3 Bama Can Tune, JLT CAI, Barton Short Throw Shifter, Roush Axle Back -SOLD.

FEP Power Member

Old school, back in the day they would install the 4 cylinder springs in the v8 cars to lower it a bit. The springs are progressive rate so they just compress slightly. Not sure how much it drops.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles