Close

Thread: Drive shaft ?

Default Drive shaft ?

Hi all I we have 1984 gt 350 2.3 turbo 5spd has the 7.5 4 lug rear. Our question is drive shaft differences What drive shaft can we swap in to replace stock shaft. We see a lot of used aluminum drive shafts for sale but need some schooling on what would swap in stock? Thanks for any info.

FEP Power Member

5.0 and 2.3 driveshafts are the same size.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Splines and u-joints? Auto to manual?

FEP Power Member

Manual to manual trans is a direct bolt in. I added the Ford Motorsport one to my SVO. It is slightly noisier with less mass and some harmonics. Not bad. There are some other sources too. I believe the auto Trans is different from the manual t5.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

thanks I am mostly looking for the less rotating mass makes more HP I just did not know about drive shafts on these cars. This is my 2nd mustang our 84 project my first was a 66 I did for my wife many years ago.

I am running an AWD aluminum Aerostar driveshaft in my car. Just using the mustang yoke and flange. It was quite the weight reduction and inexpensive.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

What year range of Aerostar driveshafts work for Mustangs?

I believe any year AWD Aerostar driveshafts will work. Mine was out of a 94 if I remember correctly. The 2wd ones will not work.

My original shaft weighed ~16lbs (complete). The Aerostar one with my Mustang yoke and axle flange weighed in at ~7lbs. The Aerostar is the same diameter as the original.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

high do you have any pictures of yours??

Sorry, I do not think so as this was 10 or so years ago but I will check my laptop when I get home. And I was wrong, the one I have is out of a 96. I believe the 96 and 97 AWD Aerostar vans have the welded ends. 95 and earlier ones have pressed in ends. What exactly are you wanting to see?
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I STARTED looking around and the ones I found were all steel and look very skinny . I would love a nice easy swap with the ends and u joints For half price.

Aerostar's will work but are pretty thin. As long as you don't plan on hole-shots. There are aluminum drive shafts on Ranger's and Crown Vic's that are a heavier aluminum. U-pull its around here are about $20 for a drive shaft and the shop that did a few for me cost $75 to cut and balance each. More if universals need changed or has an issue with.
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

Quote Originally Posted by GUSS View Post
    I STARTED looking around and the ones I found were all steel and look very skinny . I would love a nice easy swap with the ends and u joints For half price.
    Like I said, the one I got from the 96 Aerostar is pretty much the same diameter as the original steel one I took out. All I did was put the Mustang yoke and flange on it with new u-joints and bolt it in. It has been 10 or so years and 30K+ with no issues but I am not racing the car. I just drive it.

In my Pinto, I have a shortened one from a 2WD Aerostar and the diameter is much larger. It had the pressed in ends. I popped one side out and cut it to length and then had it welded/balanced. Only problem is my Pinto is lowered and now the DS is rubbing against the ebrake cable and hits the tunnel ever so slightly in a hard bump. Its going to have to come out because I love the stance but I cannot stand the interference. I am either going to put the stock DS back in or get another AWD one and modify it.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179