Close

Default Ford 2.6L Offenhauser inlet info

Hi mates,

I need some info or experience about the Offy intake for the 2.6L Cologne engine made for the 2.6L (4bbl carb, equal head ports euro specs) was called offenhauser 6115 DP. I can confirm the 72-73 Mercury Capri was the only vehicle with a euro 2.6L sold in the US.

I have one unit of this intake stored for my engine combined with a Holley 465CFM, but I need some info of performance with the Holley 390 or 465 CFM because some guys here in Europe, said me that this combo doesnt work well with std heads and std cam.

Currently my engine is a Ford capri MK3 euro 2.8L cologne swapped to webber 40 DFA carb, std euro injection cam and 2" big bore headers.

I know also that some magazines in the US like "Popular Hot Rodding" had a chapter dedicated to this intake manifold (missed one page) and surely many of you has or know some experiences in the US with this combo on Mercury capris also with Broncos or Mustang II.

Thanks for help.

Best Regards

New User

Hi. I am in the same position as you. The Cologne V6 is my favorite engine. I have a bunch of old Capri's I'm am slowly restoring ish. Pat Gahnal and Sven Pruitt both wrote very good books that will help you immensely. Sven's book was dedicated to all versions of the Cologne engine. Pat's book covers multiple V6' s including the 2.6/2.8. I am not home right now but can send pics of the books later. As far as your question, what are your ultimate plans/goals for the engine? I live in Canada, but do have a set of euro heads for a 2.8 as well as several 2.6 engines. As far as usage goes, the center two cylinders will run rich due to the proximity of the ports to the carb base. Euro heads have bigger ports and much bigger valves compared to the 2.6 the manifold was designed for. I am going to make a steel plate that partially shrouds the center ports and funnels the air/fuel to the outer ports. I am still trying to work out how with the split intake. It works well with the stock intake. You have to adjust it until the plugs end up with the same colour on the ceramic. It takes a bit but it is worth it. You may need different heat ranges for the center plugs and be sure to index them properly. The intake gives a noticeable boost to both power and driveability with the stock North American spec cam but shines with better choices.
    This intake is designed to make torque, not ultimate power. You can run it with the stock injection cam. It is long ish duration with short lift. I have the specs at home if you need them
    Use a 390 cfm carb. Do not go bigger without a bigger cam and porting. Tom Morana Motorsport in Canada sells higher lift roller rockers for this engine. The kit comes with rockers, pushrods and lifters. You should use a new cam with new lifters. Anyway, let me know if you need help. Cheers! Malcolm

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Thanks for reply Malcom.

I need to take a look to the Pat Gahnal book. I have the Sven Pruett one.

Honestly my euro 2.8 capri runs fine with my current setup (std heads and injection cam with headers...) but If I make the intake swap, I need as more info as possible about the offy performance and Holley carb setup.

I think the veteran guys who had a capri with an offy installed in the 70's has this valuable info nowadays :-)

Cheers.

New User

I have the install instructions somewhere from one of my previous builds. They give you a decent baseline to start with but with any carb tuning is generally trial and error as there are so many variables. While this wont help with the intake you want to use I am considering the Holley sniper kit for one of my cars. You would need an adapter from the 2300 base to the weber pattern on your intake but they are readily available. I generally start with the settings the carb comes with and use a wideband o2 to tune
    With your basically stock set up you might need to get up slightly due to headers but Svens book has good references for a start. You should be ok out of the box if you buy a new carb. I will try and dig up the instructions and take pics. They are old! I have been doing this for a long time, and in my experience every engine is different
    Holley carbs are easy to tune. Have the distributor re curved and run colder plugs by at least one range from stock. If you have dyno access, you cannot beat a rolling road. Cheers

New User

Btw, 2 inch headers might be overkill with a stock cam. I found 1.5 inch primary's worked best. The race Cologne engine only used 1 3/4 pipes up to 300hp. Your headers might work at cross purposes with the intake as far as flexibility goes. The 40 weber is also generous in size for your stock engine. A 38 is capable or approximately 250 hp with mods as that is the carb size used on the Btcc cars. The advantage of the 390 was flexibility due to velocity over airflow. You will see what I mean when you bolt it on. There is so much info out there and to discuss. I will dig out my notes if I can when I get home.

FEP Supporter

Hi there. I am not super technical on the topic but retained it in a 79 restoration.

There was a lot of technical discussion in this thread between members at the time: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ebuild-options

I have the Sven Pruett book and followed much of it for porting and other minor suggestions for our rebuild but had a shop do the . For originality, we ended up going with the valve angle grind, stock intake, cam and carb with said porting with dual exhaust and we are happy with the results, performance and reliability so far for the car.

We do have a step two plan for the car...one day...

I purchased the said Offenhauser 4-bbl intake with the water outlet plus the Holley 390 a number of years ago . I intend use them and also use one of the cam recommendations from Ethyl Cat in the linked thread above as well as endeavor to put a factory manual transmission into it. We currently have a C3 auto.

Good luck!

Name:  IMG_4738.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  249.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_4798 (Medium).JPG
Views: 530
Size:  150.7 KB

Some quick pulls with the current set up:

New User

This is the best I can do right now. I lent all my V6 stuff to a friend and he is in quarantine. He sent me these pictures. I hope they help. Sorry for the orientation. Cheers

Thanks Malcom, Im ready to restart the Offy project soon.

Best Regards