Close

Default 84 vert lighted mirror and sun visors

want to add lighted rearview mirror to my 84 vert. have a mirror and harness from a 99 vert has any one done this

Quote Originally Posted by mongusta View Post
    want to add lighted rearview mirror to my 84 vert. have a mirror and harness from a 99 vert has any one done this
    I did it. I have an 84 LX vert. I bought a lighted rear view from an 87. If you're not good with wiring have a mechanic you trust do it for you. it wasn't a hard thing to get done. My mechanic ran wires from the dash harness up through the A pillar rail up into the windshield header to the mirror. Just connect the wire that controls the door open/light on to the same wire that turns the kick panel lights on when the door opens. The other wire gets a constant 12V source for the map light feature so you can flip on the map light when the door is closed.

Funny but the rear view I bought had 3 wires and a rubber grommet and my vert has a slot that the grommet fit right into just above the windshield. even though my car didnt come with lighted rear view I think it was an option, thats why the slot was there for the wires and grommet.

is there a plug he went to or did he just splice the wires
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

it was not a option in 84 only started in 86
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

did it plug in to the harness
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

It may not have been an option, but they knew it was going to be. Because my 84 vert with original interior had the slot for the grommet that holds the wires, as shown in the upper circled area.

The bottom of the wires to the rear view you will measure length, cut with enough slack to run down the A pillar into the dash on the driver side and splice one into the door switched kick panel lights wiring, the other into a constant 12v source for map lights, and then a ground. On the mirror's end you would do best to buy a used lighted rear view from another Mustang vert that has both ends of the harness plugs. that's what I did. As shown in the lower area circled in my photo.

if you're not good with auto electric, just find a good looking rear view that has both ends of the harness connector and let a mechanic you trust set it up. That's what i did and mine has been great ever since I put it in. I put natural LED's in the rear view and in the kick panels light sockets. My interior went from very dark to extremely lit up. If you go with bright LEDs its even brighter lighting.

This is the only pic I could find for now. One day this weekend when I have time I'll take a few better pics to make it clearer. You can see by my other post, the rear view lighting that I accidentally shorted when I screwed in the sun visors. Should give you a good idea of how to route the wires under the A pillar, around the sun visor assembly and through the windshield header panel.

Name:  lighted rear view.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  42.2 KB
    Last edited by fgross2006; 03-02-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Hey I found a pic of my mirror before I had it installed, so you can see I bought this with both male and female ends of the harness as part of the mirror. And the rubber grommet also was part of the assembly and I'm sure you will find a slot it will fit into perfectly.

Name:  lighted rear view.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  220.7 KB

My 85 vert GT has it and I have the original window sticker and order sheet that shows it...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

My '84 GT vert has it as well. Don't have the sticker but all the wiring looks factory and not modified. I also used a later mirror with double-switches as mine was missing when purchased.

Sounds like all you need is the wiring harness or at least that end plug at the mirror. Good luck, OB!
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

Thanks guys for the help . I had hope of finding a factory plug to wire to. Since all our cars started off as coupes and coupes all had some sort of dome light . I am just hung up on not splicing wires. where did the coupes dome light plug into. thanks for the pics and all the help Kent glade you got your box of stuff.
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND

Default Trim Panel Cut Out

Thanks guys, mine has the cut out as you can see in the picture. OB

Name:  IMG_1835.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  27.0 KBName:  IMG_1833.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  20.2 KB
    LIFE IS ONE LONG WEEKEND