Close

Default Pcv vacuum lines on 84 cfi

Not sure if it is any different than any other v8 but I was wondering if the the top bit on the valve mounted to the valve cover should be connected to something. My lower goes off to the port under the 'carb' but the smaller top port is just plugged. Should that be connected to something? File this under "stuff I think about while the car is parked for the winter".
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Looks like only one in the vacuum diagram

Name:  84 CFI VACUUM.gif
Views: 100
Size:  15.2 KB
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

The top part is capped on two peg EV68C 9E22's with fuel injection or EEC VV 2700/VV7200 carb. Its a 1979 part. The part is uncapped for a PVS switch to clear Purge emission canistor at just the right point ( heated, after warmup crankcase ventilation) in the hydrocarbon shed emissions on other carbs like the 4180C and 2150.

See
    https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-EV.../dp/B000C5FJG8

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-2-3-project

Awesome. Glad to hear it. Thanks guys.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    Awesome. Glad to hear it. Thanks guys.
    Its all good.

cb84capri had to re-establish the purge emissions on his carb 1984. Basically, evaporative emissions spit back is not great on Throttle Body EFi systems, although they were removed after 1996 because even TBi failed the 1996 ODBII requirements unless you had a very special air cleaning system.

Detroit was up against the Federal Motor Vehicle 208 sniffer test, which had a Shed Emissions Hydrocarbon component which was an overnight bag house parts per million test. Pass or fail. The 4.3 v6/4.3/5.0/5.7 Vortec Chevy spider TBi was GM's response to the 1996 regulations, but in 1984, carbs just needed the upper peg hooked up to the delay valves to synchronize stealing the hydrocarbons from the air cleaner and PCV to the activated carbon purge canister at jus the right timer in the FTP 75 emissions cycle.

The Pre OBDII CFi has no need for the purge system settings like the the 2 and 4-bbl required since 1978, but the 5.0 HO was born a carb 4bbl, then got converted back to the CFi system basis's common to all 1980-1984 EECIII and 1984-1985 EECIV Standard Output 5.0's.

see
    Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    to further complicate things for the better, i got this stuff:

those two things on the right i believe to be delay valves. the brown/white one says dist on the brown side, vac on the white side. has a ford code E3AE-DA

the black/white valve says dist on the black side, and carb on the white side. it has the ford part number E3AE-EA.

should i use these? i only have one ported vacuum source on my carb and it's hooked to my vacuum advance on my distributor. i was thinking i should tee this line and run one side to the purge valve. on the other side of the tee distributor side i would put one of these delay valves. is this right? what valve should i use?

and on the far right i got the fitting for the charcoal canister. i'm going to replace the split o-ring (i can't believe i got this thing out of the cannister without breaking anything! after seeing it's design), but you'll notice the orifice valve. i looked on every car for that red one but none of them had it. and for my next question:

is this where that fitting goes? his canister looks different from mine on top. on the top left side of my canister around the perimeter of the square where the vent is it says 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 in a counterclockwise direction from the 10 o'clock. on the right side in the same manner its says G F E D C B A. you can actually see what i'm talking about in my pic in post #34. i just want to know for sure because it will be a PITA to get the fitting out if it matter what side it goes in.

and thanks again for helping me with this, i'd be lost without you guys.

cale