Close

Default 302w / powerglide / Crossmember

Hi,,

Has anyone modified a standard trans crossmember to suit a powerglide behind a 302w? Any pics if you have would be great. I know there are ones available from Stifflers, AJE etc but im in Australia and shipping to me is expensive..
    Thanks..

Not sure what you can make work, but as you know ...... glides don't exactly belong in a fox......

Usually some flat plate, angle iron and a small mig is all that necessary to get the job done.

I hope your car is light or your engine has some pretty big power.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Quote Originally Posted by Ethyl Cat View Post
    Usually some flat plate, angle iron and a small mig is all that necessary to get the job done.

I hope your car is light or your engine has some pretty big power.
    That what I always hear. I am planning on building a NA 408 for bracket racing and had plans for a c4. Then I have had a few people tell me to go powerglide. They said its cheaper and a lot stronger.

The Powerglide is like a Bullnose Top Loader or a 9 inch, or an FE 427. One of those bomb proof parts.

The Fox was Ford building a performance car down to a price, like a Model T and not a 59 Fairlane or 60 Galaxie.

Even Ford used Hydramatics in Lincolns before the GM plant fire in 1953: it then started re-evaluating costs when Packard and then Studiebaker went bust. Fords costs containment changed when the Edsel failed.

Nothing tough fits a Fox without tin work. So grab the parts you want and copy Mike1157 or CarMichealAngelo and the Gila Monster 78 Fairmont Cyclone (250 x flow Maverick and now Twin Cam six) and rip into the cross member. Aussies generally build the best streetmachines in the world

but USA has the ability to productionize anything from an Alston chassis Pro Streeter to a Zimmer Fox Mustang. Everything US is to aspire to.

Go look under any race Glide equiped Ford Cortina 6 with a 4.0 Barra or Windsor 408 and Just Do It.

In the USA, the parts industry has critical mass, so many more people just upgrade to AODs or C6s or Astro 4 speeds. Powerglides are just the toughest epicyclic auto this side of a Lenco. The great benifit is that the Fox X member is just hanged of a turret punched chassis which will get subframe connectors and battle boxes, so all this talk of cross members is zilch, nil and nada. Once youve decided on a Powerglide, youll have to upgrade the torsional rigidity to something better than a 34 Coupe V8

The glide im putting behind my 302w came out of 92 bracket car. I sold the car as a roller, kept the engine (452) and glide. For bracket racing i dont think you can go past a powerglide.

FEP Member

A properly built C4 will take all the power that SB can produce. I raced one for years with a supercharged 400+ HP 289, never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 3020 View Post
    The glide im putting behind my 302w came out of 92 bracket car. I sold the car as a roller, kept the engine (452) and glide. For bracket racing i dont think you can go past a powerglide.
    452! Nice! That ought to motivate nicely.
    4.145" x 4.200"?
    What heads are on it?
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Quote Originally Posted by Ethyl Cat View Post
    452! Nice! That ought to motivate nicely.
    4.145" x 4.200"?
    What heads are on it?
    Its a Manowar 9.5 deck and a steel crank. I have got the specs somewhere on both but can't remember exact details. Heads are AFR 225's