Close

Default Yukon Duragrip versus FP Traction-LOK

Rebuilding a new 8.8 rear end for my 83 Mustang. I have a rear end out of a 95 gt with a dismantled LSD. Going with 31-spline 5 lug axles.

Car will be mildly boosted twin turbo 302 with 5 speed

Pros and cons between the Yukon and the Traction-Loc. Daily driver. Will see some Test and Tune at the strip and some autocross time as well.

Is the extra $200 worth it for the Yukon? Are there advantages over the Traction-Loc.

thanks,
    John
    "V/I is Futile"
    ---------------------
    1982 Capri RS 5.0
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0
    2014 Mustang GT 5.0

For what it's worth, when I had the rear end rebuilt on my '98 GT, I was considering a Trac-lok rebuild or Yukon Duragrip differential. My driveline guy actually recommended the Eaton Detroit True-Trac over both of those. I'm happy with it so far. It definitely locks up under heavy torque. The good thing is it will be much more durable than any clutch activated differential like the Trac-Lok or Yukon Duragrip. No friction modifier needed.

I know when I rebuild the rear end on my '85, that's what I'm going with.
    Last edited by Mgino757; 12-22-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

I can't comment on the Duragrip since I have never used one. The Ford Trac-lok is a decent unit when setup properly and in good condition. I am a huge fan of the Eaton Detroit True-Trac after installing one in my 2004 F250 PSD. What a huge difference that made over the OEM craptastic limited slip. The unit is built solid as a tank and works very well in an almost 4 ton truck.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks guys..
    I ended up getting the Yukon unit as the Ford unit was non-existent. I think I will sell the Yukon now and get the Eaton.

$500 on amazon with free returns! Got to love it.
    "V/I is Futile"
    ---------------------
    1982 Capri RS 5.0
    1983 Mustang GT 5.0
    2014 Mustang GT 5.0

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by devittjl View Post
    Thanks guys..
    I ended up getting the Yukon unit as the Ford unit was non-existent. I think I will sell the Yukon now and get the Eaton.

$500 on amazon with free returns! Got to love it.
    I've got the Eaton Tru-Track unit in my Cobra. A lot of people call them "Detroit Lockers." Anyway, it's been in my Cobra since 2004 and hasn't been rebuilt at all. It's been rock solid and has almost 200 passes at the track and 75,000 street miles. No issues yet! It takes a little getting used to when driving on the street and when you enter a turn on a windy road you have to make a decision before you enter the turn. Either take your foot off the gas and coast around the corner or keep your foot on it while making the turn. If you hit the gas partway through the turn it'll want to lock up and it can be a little harrowing. However, after 17 summers of driving it, I know what I can and can't get away with.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    I've got the Eaton Tru-Track unit in my Cobra. A lot of people call them "Detroit Lockers." Anyway, it's been in my Cobra since 2004 and hasn't been rebuilt at all. It's been rock solid and has almost 200 passes at the track and 75,000 street miles. No issues yet! It takes a little getting used to when driving on the street and when you enter a turn on a windy road you have to make a decision before you enter the turn. Either take your foot off the gas and coast around the corner or keep your foot on it while making the turn. If you hit the gas partway through the turn it'll want to lock up and it can be a little harrowing. However, after 17 summers of driving it, I know what I can and can't get away with.
    Wish I went with the Tru Trac in my car but it was too much money lol
    But I bet it is totally worth it.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.