Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yeah, I might have done that if I didn't have a time limit looming. I'm usually too stubborn to even begin a job like that if the clock is ticking and there's another way to solve the issue temporarily. The wife needed to be able to get out to go to work on Christmas Eve, and we were expecting guests later in the day. I'm just not willing to put that pressure on myself. I've crapped out trying to "fix" so many things, my handyman confidence is very low these days.

Now we just pray we don't get another snow dump in the next week or so. I do still plan to rebuild my original carb though, so I will learn something.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

This is a good option to learn on. The carb should only have the one jet and one idle circuit opening.

Best way to clean is with a carb cleaning solution (the one that has a basket and you soak the parts in) but for this job a can of carb cleaner (spray) or even brake cleaner should cut any gunk. make sure you blow all the passages after spraying so yes wear eye protection at a minimum!
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

New carb is in, and she runs like a champ! I notice too, it says don't use fuel with more than 10% ethanol. Does regular 87 have more than that?

I'll tear into the carbs sometime soon, and post up what I find in there. Definitely using no ethanol fuel in the future though. Bring on the snow!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    New carb is in, and she runs like a champ! I notice too, it says don't use fuel with more than 10% ethanol. Does regular 87 have more than that?

I'll tear into the carbs sometime soon, and post up what I find in there. Definitely using no ethanol fuel in the future though. Bring on the snow!
    Virtually all the fuels today have @10% ethanol. Federal regulations require a minimum of 2% in all unleaded fuels. Most blends don't exceed 15% due to falling into the E15 category which generally requires specific pumps, etc. that many stations don't have or don't have room for. Unless the gasoline is listed as Ethanol Free it has between 2% and 10% ethanol guaranteed.

I started buying the ethanol free for my small engines (riding lawn mower, weed eater, chain saw, push mower, etc.) several years ago and immediately noticed the gasoline didn't sour as quickly when buying a 5 gallon can. I also quite having as many hard start issues after the equipment wasn't used for a week or two. Started putting Ethanol Free in all my vehicles that don't get driven daily and don't have any long term storage issues or hard starts even when I forget to add Stabil or other additives to the fuel.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Have had good luck using fuel stabilizer with my local pump gas. And if your machine doesn’t have a fuel filter, install one. They are cheap and easy to replace.
    just imho
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

My mower has a little thing that gradually adds stabilizer to the fuel on its own. Probably a good thing to remember to maintain that.

The gas I put in my Zeph I know is non-oxygenated, but maybe that doesn't mean the same thing as ethanol free. I'll have to make sure. I'm going to dump the remaining 87 in my small engine can into one of the DDs and refill it with the non-oxygenated. Hopefully I'll be able to find out for sure it doesn't have ethanol in it. Stupid corn.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Non-Oxygenated fuel should mean Ethanol free.

Never seen or heard of a mower that adds stabilzer to the fuel on its own. Interesting! I have seen the 2 cycles that add oil to the fuel, but that's about it.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Some race gas is oxygenated fuel like MR12
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Being retired, am not driving nearly as much as before. Full tank lasts a month or more.
    Going to pay a bit more and check out running non ethanol fuel. The street versions.
    Looking at local major brands, even one Kroger station.
    Chart shows the corner gas station sells some, was unaware of. Others right under my nose.
    Was not aware pure gasoline was sold at so many locations around town if one knows were to look.
    The local list here has a lot of marinas but list familiar drive up stations.
    For trailered boats, off road vehicles, HO or race cars. Did not know has longer shelf life.
    The MN list checks out: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuels/compare-fuels
    https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/tech...w-octane-fuels

Now to not let out what i thought was summer heat causing visual pressure in plastic mower fuel containers.
    All that does according to articles is lets out the good stuff thus helps stale the fuel.

Mainly in the summer, area near a parked hot old carb car can smell like a bar or beer.
    Dam ethanol vapor from carb or antifreeze leak. After a bad front end accident too.
    Impossible to explain that after being pulled over and cop walks by front of car. Happened several times.
    Once had a blown heater core dripping on pass carpet and windows steamed up. Cop searched for non existing open beer.

Neoprene rubber fuel lines also are not designed for ethanol gas. They do make submersible rubber fuel line that I use for fuel pumps.Got it at NAPA.
    PTFE fuel lines are ethanol gas friendly.

Marine grade fuel line specs look pretty tough.
    Noticed lately local station price sign has zeros where ethanol price was.
    Now they stuck signs in the grass stating "We sell ethanol free gas".
    Will have to check to see if that is at all pumps or a special one in back.

If by chance you have access to LL AVGas it is perfect for engines that don't get run often. Not "Legal for street use" as most things for car engines but it has everything already in it.
    You can fill a tank and let it sit fir months and months. Prime it pull the start rope (or switch) and they will crank right up..
    Albert Einstein

Almost "Stock"

Drove by the corner filling station that sells that real no E regular gas from a pump in back.
    At 4.12/gal, they can keep it. The crude oil panic price game is on again for some reason.

Noticed today snowblower has a fuel leak and drains tank parked on the patio. Been smelling gas for days.
    Sure did not leak when gas was under 2.00. Darn. A quart of good gas with good oil and 2x Stabil gone.
    Will only partial fill tank before use. 10 minutes worth at a time or something. Prob leaks when it runs too.
    Time it right and run the tank dry just before job is done. Repair outside when weather warms up.

Hate to mix more 32:1 but down to one more tank full left in can.
    Deep snow season is almost over here but higher temps make for wet March snow, prime time for a machine.

Now were are those other two gallon gas cans buried in the yard snow? One 40:1 and one plain gas.

Just wondering how the blower repair has worked out.

Thought mine developed a fuel leak. Patio had fuel on it under the machine after stowing.
    After taking the back engine cover off today, seen no leaks or pattern of fuel.
    Found the buried fuel cans. Moved them from under snow to on top.
    Added bit of fuel to tank. Prime bulb was working. Filled the carb up faster than i thought.
    Then rethought about the other day.
    Believe i ran the tank dry. Was almost done anyway. Did not refill tank like i thought i did.
    Therefore, the tank did not drain from a fuel leak.
    The fuel on the ground was from 30 over-primes. Nowhere for the gas over primes to go but down out of the carb.
    Was spitting a lot of raw fuel on startup.

Decided to fire it up. 4 prime start. Ran great path to shed done in 15 minutes no leaks.

The recent below freezing stretch of weather numbs fingers and the mind. 40's today big difference.

Default Icycle yard art

Name:  icycle yard art 3030.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  26.5 KB

Well setting the two gas cans on a snow shelf was not a good idea.
    Weather got warm recently, melted the snow support. All gone.
    Found both cans overturned, one empty. Live and learn.
    Snow was finally wet enough to make a snowball.
    Do kids have snowball fights? Or dig snow forts, roll snow men, do snow angels?

Did the yard yesterday
    Garden tractor mower starts great with new WM battery. The one Everstart app am ok with so far.
    Backpack blower started 4 prime 2 pulls moved choke to full off after 30 sec, restart one pull choke off.
    Finally starts and runs like it should. Replaced both fuel lines this season. OE cracked 2nd use new out of box.

Sorry, I guess there's a period during the winter where I'm not thinking about the car (which is nice) and I don't check here. The snowblower worked perfectly all winter. I've been running nothing but non-oxygenated in my small engines now. I do keep forgetting to replace the little tank in the cap on my mower that adds stabilizer little by little. Doesn't do any good if there's none in there, haha.

I'm glad yours doesn't have a leak. Good thing that gas you spilled didn't ignite!

What is LL AVGas?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Low LEAD AVGAS is 90 OR 110 octane used in aircraft.

It contains color, preservatives and lead. Not supposed to be for HWY use since you pay FAA tax not road tax. It will be usable for 1 year plus (not in aircraft) and has none of the gasoline smell.
    Albert Einstein

Almost "Stock"

Speaking of snowblowers, I ran mine yesterday. I usually try to remember to run it every couple months during the summer rather than just let is sit from one winter to the next. I was doing some work on the shed it's stored in and pulled it out, then realized it hasn't been started since February so it could use a test run. It fired up immediately. I don't think it cranked more than 3 seconds.

That MTD is 25 years old and has been used and abused but it just keeps going. I've always stored it with gas in the tank, ethanol gas at that, and still it always starts when needed. It's got to have one of the best small engines I've ever owned. It might have had one new spark plug through all those years, never any carb work, but it just soldiers on.

As for the avgas that's all I run in my 2 stroke Toro weed eater as I know ethanol can be death to 2 strokes. A local Stihl dealer sells the avgas, and recommends it for 2 stoke equipment. It's expensive but has an indefinite shelf life and one gallon of it lasts me for several years.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Corner Valero regular, no e, is 4.80 sumthing vs 3.29 e-10 today
    Why does a product not cut 10% with E cost so much more?

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    Speaking of snowblowers, I ran mine yesterday. I usually try to remember to run it every couple months during the summer rather than just let is sit from one winter to the next. I was doing some work on the shed it's stored in and pulled it out, then realized it hasn't been started since February so it could use a test run. It fired up immediately. I don't think it cranked more than 3 seconds.

That MTD is 25 years old and has been used and abused but it just keeps going. I've always stored it with gas in the tank, ethanol gas at that, and still it always starts when needed. It's got to have one of the best small engines I've ever owned. It might have had one new spark plug through all those years, never any carb work, but it just soldiers on.

As for the avgas that's all I run in my 2 stroke Toro weed eater as I know ethanol can be death to 2 strokes. A local Stihl dealer sells the avgas, and recommends it for 2 stoke equipment. It's expensive but has an indefinite shelf life and one gallon of it lasts me for several years.
    Awesome!
    What kind of engine does it have?
    As far as i know, MTD doesn't make their own motors

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Awesome!
    What kind of engine does it have?
    As far as i know, MTD doesn't make their own motors
    The snowblower has a Tecumseh engine and it's a 1996 model.

I also have a Murray lawn tractor of about the same vintage that's been very reliable over the years. It has a Briggs & Stratton engine. From what I can find Murray owned MTD and was later bought out by Briggs & Stratton.

So my old equipment is from the era when those brands were still US made, but I'm sure that's not the case anymore.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12