Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 86 Saleen

Lubner, I would think that would make it possible for someone to make a line of them again as there gotta be a shortage on the market. Maybe time to organize a group buy if there's enough interest.

Wraithracing, well that makes sense and it is a similar concern as swapping refrigerant medium in the AC, compability issues. I thought it was some property with the silicone fluid itself. I have converted one car already when rebuilding that brake system and there's not been any issues with the brakes so far after a year. I blew out all the lines and bled thru enough DOT5 to fill the system twice just to assure there was no remnants left of old fluid, and that car has a way more complicated brake system than any non-ABS Ford ever made that I know of, a triangular brake system. Volvo liked to over-engineer their stuff back in the day.

I got the word back from White Post Restorations and it is a no go on resleeving the proportioning valve as they will have to cut thru the threads on one side. I was wondering how they would work around that.

The void of warranty stems from "known compatibility issues with some rubber components."

Since no one was capable of producing any information on the condition of their SVO brake proportioning valve they were offering, I presume they are just as bad as the one I have, so I decided to put the repair kit on my pieces and assemble it. I bled the brakes, well, kinda. Turns out that the car was losing some brake fluid thru the brake failure switch. If that is not a brake failure, I don't know what is. To get it working I went thru my assortment of screws to find a candidate to block that port. Now I am not losing any brake fluid at least. It is just a temporary fix to get the car moving.

I put a battery in and it took three quick runs with the starter before it fired up, and it ran just fine. Not bad considering last it ran was about three and half years ago. Dirt on girl as proof how neglected she's been.

Name:  Dirty girl.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  378.5 KB

A fast wash and she is much happier looking.

Name:  Clean girl.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  417.7 KB
    Name:  Clean girl front.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  390.1 KB

A quick drive around the block revealed that this proportioning valve is not going to work as it is. I locked up the rear doing a hard test brake during a slow roll. I guess I need to venture into an adjustable valve and a new proportioning house to get it working properly, or have someone machine a new housing for me. In my spare time since work is slow I 3D CAD a valve just for this purpose, however, I need exact dimensions of the bores and I don't own a tool for that.

Name:  BPV cut out.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  82.9 KB

that is an incredible fox. if you ever want to sell it I'd love to have a chance to buy it.

This car has never had a coolant overflow tank during my possession and I wonder when it had one last. For the amount of coolant I have had to add over the years it probably would have paid for itself over the time of ownership, not to mention the environmental impact caused. Yes, I've been a bad boy.

The joy of putting that coolant tank in place lasted as long as from when it arrived until I tried to mount it. Olde 120 has the wrong shroud, sigh. No provision to mount the tank on it. However, that shouldn't be that hard to fix. I ordered a new one, but not from the place my coolant tank came, and it couldn't get here fast enough. Oh the joy when the big box came in. It shouldn't take me long to get it together and take it a quick test run, right? Old shroud out and fan off, and try to put it all back together. Well this did not work out as planned. Nothing lines up. Put up the shrouds as comparison next to one another. Hmmmm.

Name:  Shrouds.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  213.9 KB

New opening is smaller than the old, but the fan fits in both holes. The shroud height is the same. I would imagine the fan should be in the center of the opening but it is now too low with the new shroud. Some research leads me to that this is not an unique problem. Bent radiator support or bad engine mounts would be the culprits as I cannot find anything supporting the idea of different water pumps. I measured from the hood line to the top of the shaft of the water pump 10 3/4 inches and I would guesstimate it should be closer to 9 1/2 inches to be centered. If any kind soul with the correct setup willing to measure this for verification would be appreciated greatly.

Name:  Setup measuring.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  219.0 KB

Name:  Water pump to hood line.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  154.6 KB

I am sure I need to order more parts. It has just been sitting still for almost four years, so what is another few weeks?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12