Close

Default SVO Sway Bar with V8?

I picked up some used SVO sway bars for my 82 Lincoln Continental. The stock front say bar on the Conti is tiny. Since the Conti has the SVO front suspension I thought this would be an easy swap. I put them side by side and they measured up exactly on length, and bends. To my surprise though when I installed the bar it hit the oil pan of the 5.0. Before I chase my tail I thought I would throw it out here. I figure I have one of the 3 scenarios below.

1. The 38 year old motor mounts have lost their support and the motor has dropped a few inches.
    2. I need to add a spacer on top of the sway bar mounts and possibly shorter endlinks.
    3. I am wasting my time and this will never work as the bar is shaped around 2.3 oil pan.

C

Name:  Lincoln Sway.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  103.1 KB

I hope you find your answer. From here it looks identical to your stock piece aside from being thicker. How much is it interfering with the oil pan?

The ramps you are using...what brand and do you like them? I have been looking into some ramps just dont know which type I want.

David,

It is hitting the oil pan right below the drain bolt. 1/2" would be huge and probably clear it.

As for the ramps, I will have to go out to the barn and look at the brand. I have probably owned those ramps for 15 years. Ramps are great. Saves endless time and are safe. I have used them for everything from oil changes to transmission swaps.

C

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I hope you find your answer. From here it looks identical to your stock piece aside from being thicker. How much is it interfering with the oil pan?

The ramps you are using...what brand and do you like them? I have been looking into some ramps just dont know which type I want.

I would recommend checking your motor mounts. If they are original, then odds are the engine is sitting a bit lower. That may or may not fix the clearance issue.

The SVO bar will clear a V8, I have one on my 86 Road Racer, so I know it will. You may need to run a spacer on the frame rails and if so, very likely shorter end links to make everything line up properly.

This might give you ideas on how to space the bar down and/or might be an option to make it all work too depending on what your full setup is.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/F...9-93-P441.aspx Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Trey,

Thank you for the information. That is exactly what I needed to know. I am going to start with the motor mounts and then work my way from there.

C

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I would recommend checking your motor mounts. If they are original, then odds are the engine is sitting a bit lower. That may or may not fix the clearance issue.

The SVO bar will clear a V8, I have one on my 86 Road Racer, so I know it will. You may need to run a spacer on the frame rails and if so, very likely shorter end links to make everything line up properly.

This might give you ideas on how to space the bar down and/or might be an option to make it all work too depending on what your full setup is.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/F...9-93-P441.aspx Good Luck!

Cool

I wanted to follow up on this thread to add knowledge to the forum for other Continental owners. I swapped out the motor mounts. First thing to point out is that the Continental has the locator pin in a different location on the passenger side. I checked every Fox Body motor mount and they all have it in the same place. The Continental has it somewhere else. The mounts are no longer available from Ford,so I just grounded off the pin and went about my business. If i ever pull the engine, I will go ahead and drill the hole for the locator pin new location. The drivers side had no issues. The new mounts did raise up the motor. The 38 year old original mounts were flat though not torn yet. I reinstalled the SVO sway bar and it now clears the oil pan. At first it was only by a few mm's. I added in some washers to gain myself some space. Now it clears the pan by about 1/2". I am all set and about to head out on a test drive. BTW the exhaust on this car is hideous. Might be a future project. It has a Y pipe with two pre cats and they come down and meet a 3rd catalytic converter that is massive. I have never seen one that large. Early 80's emissions.
    Last edited by Chuckathon; 01-16-2021 at 04:01 PM.