Close

Default Unobtainable headlight covers

I am restoring a 83 GT for my father and he swears he had headlight covers that clipped over each of the individual 4 eye headlights. I have looked everywhere. Anyone ever seen these?

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Both of our 80 cobras had the 4 metal screens that clip over the headlight via the 4 clips off the headlight ring retaining ring bolts. They are not covers so to speak but metal grates essentially I think to protect the lens from larger objects such as rocks etc.

I don't have any pics handy. I removed them (but kept) since I feel they are not really needed for a summer cruiser. If you want I could post some pics of them.

​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Those are the exact same looking as the ones I have except mine were black...and rusty now.

I presume they were somewhat stock from Ford back then. They were the same on both our 80 cobras bought a generation apart etc.

I remember them...pretty uncommon even back in the 80's. They were clear plastic and went over the headlight just like the stone guards on Marchal fog lights.
    Good luck finding them, most are probably yellowed by now and thrown away.

Kenny

I ordered a clear set for my 83 earlier this year direct from GT Styling.

https://gtsstyling.com/product/1983-...rs-2-pc-clear/
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

Sorry my error just realized you want covers that go over each of the 4 lights. I had a round clear bubble set back in the day in Canada. I think they were popular with the rally guys so maybe check out some vintage rally parts suppliers. If your handy, you could make a wooden template, and heat/blow them out of plexi using method found on internet. They had a square edge around them that fit between the chrome trim ring and the head light lens. Not much to them.
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

FEP Senior Member

Yep, I had the tinted ones on each headlight of my '79 Pontiac Formula. The just had the metal spring clips that wrapped around the back of the glass headlight. That was mid 80s.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

Default old HL cover notes

Common accessories back when a new car loan could be paid off in 3 years, and my TRX's held air.
    Covers probably contributed to the end of glass sealed beams in flexible aero style front bumpers.

Liked the look and benefits. Checking out covers on other Mustangs, decided to make some a little different.
    Copied cardboard template of HL door opening onto clear genuine Lexan. The thinner grill sheet is zip tied.
    A grill cover for aero and to block sucked in fan blown water spray off the engine and engine compartment.
    For times being stuck for miles driving into winter road salt spray off vehicles in front of me, especially on the freeway.
    Eventually moved the entire grill sheet to the inside back of grill.
    Still there, looks better, everything is much cleaner under hood, no affect noticed on engine cooling at any time.
    All pieces still in good shape, no yellowing, cracks.
    The covers and a S-10 air dam seemed to help keep front end more stable on highway, into strong winds, or side drafts from trucks.

Full plastic covers work great to keep mud, debris, stones, winter road snow slush off headlights and radiator fins.
    Quick swipe with a gas station squeegee cleans them.
    Drove car 30k/year x 7 back in the 80's all weather.
    Removing/reinstalling fog or headlight bucket covers daily is a PITA.
    For day/night driving, clear covers can stay installed all the time. Tinted are practically limited to shows and day driving.

If flat plastic covers are thick, a recessed flush fit gives a smooth look. Trade off is harder to remove a cover for cleaning.
    Velcro can be used to secure covers.
    Many brands sell covers trimmed with black edging to minimize rubbing off bucket paint and seal better.

A fav pic Ford Dearborn track 8/19/84 MOSEM FWHQ 20th anniversary show and parade day all covers installed.Name:  79 Cobra at ford dearborn track 81984 2020.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  37.7 KB

Nice to see some posts here. I am not on here much. Anyone know a brand?

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Common accessories back when a new car loan could be paid off in 3 years, and my TRX's held air.
    Covers probably contributed to the end of glass sealed beams in flexible aero style front bumpers.

Liked the look and benefits. Checking out covers on other Mustangs, decided to make some a little different.
    Copied cardboard template of HL door opening onto clear genuine Lexan. The thinner grill sheet is zip tied.
    A grill cover for aero and to block sucked in fan blown water spray off the engine and engine compartment.
    For times being stuck for miles driving into winter road salt spray off vehicles in front of me, especially on the freeway.
    Eventually moved the entire grill sheet to the inside back of grill.
    Still there, looks better, everything is much cleaner under hood, no affect noticed on engine cooling at any time.
    All pieces still in good shape, no yellowing, cracks.
    The covers and a S-10 air dam seemed to help keep front end more stable on highway, into strong winds, or side drafts from trucks.

Full plastic covers work great to keep mud, debris, stones, winter road snow slush off headlights and radiator fins.
    Quick swipe with a gas station squeegee cleans them.
    Drove car 30k/year x 7 back in the 80's all weather.
    Removing/reinstalling fog or headlight bucket covers daily is a PITA.
    For day/night driving, clear covers can stay installed all the time. Tinted are practically limited to shows and day driving.

If flat plastic covers are thick, a recessed flush fit gives a smooth look. Trade off is harder to remove a cover for cleaning.
    Velcro can be used to secure covers.
    Many brands sell covers trimmed with black edging to minimize rubbing off bucket paint and seal better.

A fav pic Ford Dearborn track 8/19/84 MOSEM FWHQ 20th anniversary show and parade day all covers installed.Name:  79 Cobra at ford dearborn track 81984 2020.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  37.7 KB
    Nice post!

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...adlight-covers
    https://www.google.com/search?q=1983...h=741&biw=1152

Is easy to make covers. Use polycarbonate like Lexan, Measure, cut, decide how to fasten.
    Dust and dirt will eventually find its way behind covers. If made removable, much easier to clean both sides of them.

I remember that day when MOCSEM had the parade from FWHQ to the Dearborn test track, 1/2 mile away.
    Had the only 79 Cobra, so 20.00 got me in the short parade.
    Wanted to open 'er up on the straightaway (test track was H Ford's airport way back), but had zero turbo boost. Blamed it on the fuel.
    Later they lined up the cars on a grassy area and took a poster photo. Was so frustrated i did not move my car there.
    They were taking that grass photo op when i took mine.
    When leaving the area, noticed a Boss 302 with the hood up. Am sure he had the best help available.

One day, driving about town 30 years later, the no boost event happened.
    On a hunch, finally found the mystery problem causing lack of boost.
    Was caused by 'vapor lock' of the little white/black plastic inline waste gate check valve.
    One of those issues that rarely happened, did not last long enough to diagnose, and no one heard of that happening.
    Open hood, disconnect waste gate vac hose with ck valve to relieve pressure, reconnect. Instant 2 minute positive fix.
    Usually took a couple days for the pressure to bleed out somehow and waste gate to act normal.
    Wonder how many had that same problem. Possibly contributed to the bad rap of 2.3 carb turbo engines.

I know they were popular for 83-86 TBirds and some were sold in the Motorsport catalog. Here's one style for example.

I have a few different NOS TBird covers.Name:  83 Headlight cover7.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  47.7 KBName:  83 Headlight cover 1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  91.1 KB