Close

Default What side skirts and rear bumper is this?

Any body know who's sideskirts and rear bumper is this? They go with the front bumper so well.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...olis-pace-car/

I tried to attach photos but they were too big to upload.
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!

From the article:

One of the biggest issues we had from day one was the fact that those cars (1979-1982 performance models) didn’t have a full body-kit and we didn’t want to do the same old late-model cobra kit as everyone else” so, building fully custom ground effects was the only option. Using his napkin drawn designs and a pile of sheet metal he developed each rocker panel by hand. They were designed to install like a factory pair including mounts in the wheel well that mimic the mounting points of a stock 1987-93 kit. They take the ride height about 1.5” below the stock rocker panel to give the car a lower appearance adding to its already aggressive stance.

I like the look of this PC. But I don't understand what they mean in this statement?

"He went on to tell her that “the thing that makes this one cool is the patina. If you paint this car it becomes every other car.” and being one of the original 6 Pace Cars we couldn’t agree more."

What original 6 pace cars are they referring to?

Cool car and nice looking aero package. For most of us, the Saleen kit or the before mentioned 93 Cobra style works pretty well and is much less expensive than a one off steel kit. That is unless you have your own fab tools and skills to pull it off. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

So basically we modified everything on the car, but we wanted to preserve the originality of the faded cracked paint?

Are they trying to say this is one the cars that actually participated in the race with the 1 of 6 comment? Doesn't make any sense to me.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    So basically we modified everything on the car, but we wanted to preserve the originality of the faded cracked paint?

Are they trying to say this is one the cars that actually participated in the race with the 1 of 6 comment? Doesn't make any sense to me.
    Agreed. I like the car and most of what they did, but not sure the patina was worth saving. Does it make it different, YES, but not really my style.

I still don't know where or what the 1 of 6 is about. Definitely NOT an ACTUAL Pace Car since they were T-top cars. Might have been a Festival car, but there were a lot more than 6 of those. So I just don't get it.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That car was also originally a turbo 4 cylinder car, I doubt the turbo 4s were used for anything special.

And I overlooked that part about them being one off, I just love how they flow with the front bumper. I dont have the space/time/ or possibly even the skillet to build my own and have them look that good.
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shauncb View Post
    That car was also originally a turbo 4 cylinder car, I doubt the turbo 4s were used for anything special.

And I overlooked that part about them being one off, I just love how they flow with the front bumper. I dont have the space/time/ or possibly even the skillet to build my own and have them look that good.
    The "Fesitval" cars were used before, during, and after the race for promotion, driving the drivers around during introductions, media rides, driver rides to and from Indy, etc. So the cars could be either the Turbo 4 or the V8. The cars were then sold at local Ford dealers to the general public.

My suggestion would be the Cervini Saleen kit for your Pace Car. The fit and finish is the best you can get in a mass produced aftermarket kit. The kit is not perfect for the Early Foxes, but it does work very well. The second option would be the Wings West 93 Cobra kit for LX models. Fit and finish is very good on that one too. I have both kits and like the looks of each. The 93 Cobra kit is on my PC, but I am using the Cervini kit on my 82 GT as well as my 86 Road Racer. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one. Like all aftermaket products you will need to fit the parts to your personal ride and the amount of time and energy you put into that will determine how good it looks overall.

Here's my PC from several years ago with the Wings West kit. I will be repainting the PC hopefully next year along with some other improvements.

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  152.6 KB
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller