Close

Default My 85 had a 8.8 swap and I didn't know. Already got parts for the 7.5! What TO DO?

Welp, I'm re-doing my 85 GT and I pulled the rear end out of it a couple weeks ago assuming it was a 7.5. I tore it all apart not really looking at the details, I threw the differential in a bucket for cleaning and took the housing to have it blasted. While doing all that I ordered new spiders and clutches for it and a rebuild kit. Since this is going back stock and used as a cruiser I didn't care to swap in a 8.8.

I went out tonight and put the carrier / ring gear up on my bench and after dropping the ring gear off I looked for markings. I noticed 8-410 stamped on it and I thought it looked big. I measured across the gear and it is an 8.8. Its a 4.10 as it has 41 teeth and the pinion has 10 teeth.

UGH! I already bought everything to rebuild my 7.5 with a 3.40 gear and I don't want to hassle returning the stuff and losing money on shipping. I don't know if I want to store the 8.8 and maybe rebuild it later or sell it disassembled. I'm not even sure what an 8.8 is worth with 410 gears.

Any suggestions?

Is your diff 28 or 31 spline?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

For future reference,the quickest way to id each differential is by the shape of each cover.
    A 7.5 cover has a flat top & bottom and rounded sides.
    A 8.8 cover has a flat top & bottom,flat sides & rounded corners.

That sucks man
    we all make mistakes
    try not to beat yourself up
    just adjust and overcome
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Lesson learned. Either return it or list it in the classifieds section here. Either way, a slight hassle with potential of some cash loss.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Never go backwards! Stay with the 8.8 and take the $ hit. Even the best 7.5 doesn't hold up that well under torque.

Kenny

I would stay with the 8.8" unless you're shooting for a concourse style restoration. Just sell the parts you've got if you're dead set on not returning them. My '85 is just a street cruiser, but I wouldn't take a 7.5" even if someone gave it to me for free.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

If the parts are new, I don’t see why you can’t return them? You might take a small hit on a restocking fee but if you explain the situation you might hurt your pride a little but at least you’ll get most of your money back.

Yeah, I'm going back to stock with this car. Not worried about breaking the 7.5 this won't hit the track. Back in the mid-90's I had an 85 with 150 shot of nitrous and BF Goodrich Drag Radials with no problems. I put the 8.8 on a couple of FB parts pages last night for $300 and have it sold. Odd going back to 7.5 but......

Awesome, glad it all worked out.