Close

Red face Help properly restoring/converting a Pinto wagon / Cruising wagon -

Stop laughing - - - I am restoring and converting a 1972 Ford Pinto station wagon into a Cruising wagon with port whole window panels .
    I have a car thats been stored for 20 years - has no rear interior and I stripped the rest. I cant find any books/diagrams/ or instructions on how to properly install the rear panels. I have no gaskets/seals or idea how they are secured - there is only screw holes in the front and rear sections of the panels. Cant believe thats all that secures it and keeps the panels weather tight
    Any help would be appreciated - also need interior parts / panels for the rear area. Disc brake rotors too !

Thanks
    Bullitt4248

I will post picture as soon as I figure out how -

Click ---> Ford Pinto Car Club of America

Mike

Attachment 134720

Long ago & far away, 2.3T/T5/8" 3.50
    Last edited by 4-barrel Mike; 12-23-2020 at 07:27 PM.

The site Mike pointed you to is a good site. The side panels also attach along the top and bottom edges from the inside. You should be able to see some holes if you look close at your side panels. These screws screw in from the inside along where the windows would go in the cargo area of the wagon. Unfortunately I also sold my cruising wagon so I cannot take any pictures for you how they mount.

There is no gasket but the factory used that black strip calk stuff to seal them. Very similar to this stuff.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3194020&rt=rud

Next question, do you have all the pieces for the side panels? The should be moldings that cover the exterior screw holes. The ones near the rear hatch are pot metal and painted body color. The moldings near the doors are rubber and supposed to be grey. Also, there is a drip rail extension that extends the drip rail for the top to seal properly. This is the one thing that most people do not grab from the donor car when they take the panels. Last is the interior carpet side panels that cover the window metal along with the plastic trim ring for the port hole windows. Sounds like you do not have the inner side panels but hopefully you have the trim rings and other stuff.

Where are you located? Unfortunately Pinto parts are few and far between these days. I still have two window wagons and my 73 small bumper hatch. I have my personal parts stash for my cars just because you cannot find stuff anymore. 71-73 rotors are impossible to find. If you go to the ford pinto site, there is thread there that has a solution to the 71-73 rotor problem but it is expensive.

I have had my share of these cars thru the years. They are fun little cars. My dad bought our 79 wagon new. Next summer the plan is to get it out of hibernation and put it back on the road.

Post some pictures of your car.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179