Close

Default LED headlight conversion

I am looking to do LED headlights on my 82 Capri. I've found the housings, but the bulbs I bought are high/low and have a 3 blade plug - no problem on the low beams. However, my Capri has a two blade plug on the high beams. That won't work for the LED bulbs.

Does anyone know of any H4 style LED bulbs that have a two blade plug?
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

On my cars the 3-blade bulbs still worked with the 2-blade plug. It was a little tight, but went right in and the harness plug even had a spot for the extra/unused blade to fit in it.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

What Broncojunkie said. Or worse case you can pick up some 3 prong pigtails and swap those out for the 2 prong pigtails on the OEM harness. You can often remove the terminal from the plug with a small flat blade or pick, therefore not having to do any splicing or rewiring. Just leave the top plug open and everything works fine.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

See my posts here: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ht-conversions

With a very slight modification (clearancing), the 3 prong will work in a 2 prong connector.
    1985 GT owned since new

Thank you all for the replies! I will read the posts and see if I can get the 3 prong pigtails.

Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Got the pigtails ordered from LMR.

For reference, I ordered these housings https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these LEDs https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't really comment on good/bad because the Capri has no Engine/Trans/Axle/Brakes/Suspension on it right now...

No trimming of the headlight buckets needed though.

So I did this conversion again, this time on my 84 GT. Everything works, but now the info center shows headlight out when I turn on the headlights. It goes off when I turn on the brights. Are the LEDs not enough load for the circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by 79Coupe View Post
    So I did this conversion again, this time on my 84 GT. Everything works, but now the info center shows headlight out when I turn on the headlights. It goes off when I turn on the brights. Are the LEDs not enough load for the circuit?
    That would be my thought, need some kind of a resistor.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

LED lights have such low resistance that is why you most often have to use an electronic flasher rather than the stock design that uses the electrical resistance to operate the flasher. The info center works the same way, too little resistance tells the unit that you have a bulb out. Inline resistors to the info center is probably the best option for fixing the issue. Personally none of my cars have an operable info center, so I swap it out for gauges or switches depending on what I want or need.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That's the craziest thing about this. All the car I've owned prior to now, the info center was always broken. But for this new batch (since 2012) ALL have a functional info center! The 83 GT I got from sowaxeman has 42,000 miles, I expect the info center works. But the 82 Capri was a dumpster fire. The 84 GT had some "bubba" repairs done. The 82 GT is currently a dumpster fire, but the info center works. The 80 Cobra is fairly low miles, but the info center works. The 79 Ghia was on its way to being someone's drag car before I got it - working info center!

Along those lines, the 82 GT is getting a gauge cluster with Air/fuel, vacuum and fuel pressure. It is the test mule so I can get it all correct, then the same will happen for the 82 Capri. But I'd prefer to keep the other cars looking as stock as possible. I'll measure the resistance of the OEM lights and then the LEDs. Probably go the resistor route.

If you need a two blade headlight use an H1.