Close

Thread: 1982 Mustang GT

Default 1982 Mustang GT

I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

It looks nice, but I would be afraid of the rust.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Eeeeesh, rusty crusty. Where there is some visible, there is much more hidden. Why people ever drove these cars in salty conditions is just appauling.
    82 Mercury Capri - 11.99 @ 112, AFR headed Mountaineer motor
    86 Mustang LX Coupe - the original Coyote swap 4-eye. Gone but not forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by lxcoupe86 View Post
    Eeeeesh, rusty crusty. Where there is some visible, there is much more hidden. Why people ever drove these cars in salty conditions is just appauling.
    Yeah, not so much. They drove them in salty conditions for the same reasons you would drive whatever your daily driver is in the salt if you were to live where that is relevant. A Mustang is no different than a drill or a saw or a Camry or a F150. It's essentially a tool to get work done or a mode of transportation to get you from A to B. We didn't have a lot of money back then to have second and third cars like everyone does today either. Nobody I knew in 1982 had a GT that was a 'toy," they were all used exactly as God and Ford intended.......TRANSPORTATION. What's appalling is people who are "saving" their car so the next owner can have some fun with it after they pass away. They pay insurance and upkeep on it but won't let it get dirty because????? It's fun to say you have one I guess? Why not just buy a picture of a car? I guess they want their gravestone to read "He kept his car clean so it would be perfect for the next owner to actually use and enjoy."
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

I second that. My first Mustang, an 83 GT Turbo got driven two winters in Chicago because it's the only car I had and I had to get to work.

On the "maybe it's rusty" front, for an 82 GT, for $2,500 I'd be ok putting floorpans in it, and I have a spare hatch, but I don't have an extra dash or rear interior plastics. That's why I'd need more pics before buying.
    I push my fingers into my eyes......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update - 2023 - Looking to buy 81 Mustang, 82/85/86 Mustang GT, and 79 - 86 Capri (No Sunroof). Not looking for all original/show cars or convertibles - I will be modifying. Would be nice if both were - Black Interior, PW, PL, AC, No - or very little rust. Motor/Trans/Axle not important. Options negotiable with price.

Quote Originally Posted by lxcoupe86 View Post
    I drove my original 82 GT for five years strictly as a daily driver, weekend 1/4 mile demon, and the occasional show (black with gold Boss 302 stripes for those who lived in the NE in the early to mid 80's)......Day 2 mods included hooker headers and true dual exhaust, a hydraulic 289 HiPo style cam from Crane, Edelbrock performer manifold, and Holley 600cfm double pumper. Day 142 added NOS and a 10lb bottle in the rear hatch area. Day 178 had me installing a set of Rancho springs and swaybars. Did I crack my drivers side floor pan in the first year, yes, yes I did. Did I also blow up the rear end, twice in the first 14 months. Did I enjoy putting all my mileage on it in rain, sun, and yes boys and girls, even snow, you bet your behind I did .....It was, after all, my daily driver.

Bill S.

To the point above, back in HS, a fellow student was given a 1985 Saleen by her Father as a 16th Birthday present. She daily drove that all through HS without any thought of "saving" or "protecting" it for the next owner. That was down in Central Texas, so no major rust issues. Was a cool sight to see, but it was treated just like any other car at the time. It was her "baby" and she took good care of it, but still drove it everywhere.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller