Close

Default Throttle cable bracket - yes, similar ish to the other thread, but...

A little different than the Sniper install (maybe?) and I didn't want to muddy the waters.

Installing a Fitech in my '81 Granada. Edelbrock intake manifold. I have no bracketry as this is a build, not a re-build.

I can 'S' curve the cable to make it line up (cable seems longer than it needs to be, car was a 2.3 originally).

I need to 1) mount it to the intake and 2) hook it up to the Fitech (which is very similar/same as an Edelbrock carb it appears).

It looks like this will work, but thought I would get a second opinion:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-304147...YAAOSw219ex281

I took pics of my actual cable and such and those will be in second post as they're on my phone so I will add them.

Appreciate the input!
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

This is the stock cable end, intake mount. Not great pics though hopefully the details can be seen well enough.

One pic shows the mounting point on the intake (pretty general I expect). One shows the tab on the cable and it's one hole to mount. One shows the Fitech linkage.

I'm sure I can figure something out, but it would be sweet to be able to mount a bracket designed for it and have it fit well without a lot of tinkering if it can be avoided. I will probably still need the Holley ball stud kit thing Wraithracing mentions in the other thread, but that is a small detail.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 11-28-2020 at 01:49 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

2nf picture in post # 4

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-and-tv-cable

Picture in post #7

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-dual-stage-PV

2nd picture in post # 4.

Once you see the hard to find positions A and B, youll be able to use your too long accelerator cable.

I'll have to look at that a bit as I am not that advanced.

The picture of course makes sense. Need the distance between to be correct. That's why I was looking at the bracket kit I posted a link to. My assumption (sometimes I hate that word) is that since the ad indicates it works for a 1985 Mustang (302 and carb) then theoretically it should work for that same essential combination (once I also buy the ball stud) since it will be a 'carb' on a 302. Since it's a manual trans I do not need to be concerned about a kickdown rod and just need one cable connection.

I think you’re on the right track. Buy the aftermarket bracket and start there. I am certainly no machinist and have limited fabrication tools; however, I had to move my OEM bracket 1.1 inches outboard and .35 inches aft in order to fit the holly efi, I did this by fabricating a spacer from .187 aluminum. Once I knew the offset dimensions I trace the base of the OEM bracket on engineering paper and then drew out the offset for my spacer.

Name:  E603638C-D102-4529-9325-BC93614CF96D.jpeg
Views: 112
Size:  107.3 KB

I don't know if this will work for your application, but here is another option if you want to try not to fabricate. https://www.edelbrock.com/carburetor...nish-1490.html

Not sure if you have seen this or even need this bracket https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9758BRKT-K/...-bracket-79-85

Actually this kit, might make more sense for your setup. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9758C-K/mus...able-kit-79-85 you will still probably need the ball kit for the Fitech and some adapter to fit the OEM bracket to your intake or the first kit linked to above. Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 12-01-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for those links, Trey. I saw the Edy bracket, but had not seen the LMR one. It is the actual part I am missing. Looks like they get more of my money.

I think my cable is fine though. It seems a little long, but even when I hold it in about the right place it does not feel like it's binding or anything.

Not that a new cable would hurt anything ...

I used a cable for a '85 4bbl with a stock bracket bolted to my Wieand Xcelerator manifold. I have the Fitech 400hp kit. The ball stud I had in my parts bin. I think(it's been a few years) I had to re-drill one of the mounting holes in the bracket to make it line up straight. I haven't had any issues with it since installing. You may want to find banjo or angled fuel inlet/return fittings for the throttle body or it'll be difficult finding an air cleaner to fit.

I already have an air cleaner installed so I am ok there. I used a flat base cleaner and not a drop base, so there is plenty of room for the linkage and my fuel lines are installed (all except hooking up the rubber line to the TB.
    Not sure if my throttle cable is different. It may be longer than the 85 carb throttle cable.

My throttle cable is bent in a pretty hard 'S', doesn't seem to bind at all.

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    Thanks for those links, Trey. I saw the Edy bracket, but had not seen the LMR one. It is the actual part I am missing. Looks like they get more of my money.

I think my cable is fine though. It seems a little long, but even when I hold it in about the right place it does not feel like it's binding or anything.

Not that a new cable would hurt anything ...

I am pretty sure the bracket linked to is the OEM style V8 bracket. I have the same bracket on several of my V8 Foxes. The V8 throttle cable is shorter than the 4 cyl linkage at least in my experience. I swapped them out, but I had spare V8 throttle cables, so . . . .
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    My throttle cable is bent in a pretty hard 'S', doesn't seem to bind at all.

You may be wearing out your butterfly axle shaft it has a bushing for your throttle blade shaft which runs through the carb end to end
    May have undesirable side load and also it may have zero effects forever just useless info maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    You may be wearing out your butterfly axle shaft it has a bushing for your throttle blade shaft which runs through the carb end to end
    May have undesirable side load and also it may have zero effects forever just useless info maybe
    The bend is between the bracket and the firewall. It doesn't put any additional strain on the throttle shaft.

Exactly where mine would have the 'S' curve. My car was an original 4cyl/4spd. I may just get the kit since I am getting the bracket anyway. Not much price difference in the big picture.