Close

Default Pace Car T5 swap

My '79 Pace Car is a carb turbo 4-cyl. I'm finally to the point where I will be swaping a T5 that I have into it very soon. Tag # is 1352-116 (Ford 1985-1986 SVO Mustang EFI TC L4 WC). Code S. Gears 3.5, 2.14, 1.39, 1.0, .78 . I've been reading some conflicting information on whether its's a direct bolt-up or if I would require a new bell housing. My transmission is a Code "6" SROD transmission. Will the T5 be a direct bolt-in since its a 4-cyl T5, or would a new bellhousing be needed? Pilot bearings should be a match since it's a 4cyl T5. Any other parts that would need to be changed out? Any guidance you can lend will be much appreciated. Thanks

I have a t-5 bell housing from a svo if you need one

I didnt know the 2.3 carb turbo had a srod, mine had the rad 4 speed with no overdrive, the transmission will bolt to the same bellhousing, uses the same clutch as it's a 10 spline shaft.

Dont swap bellhousing, if you do you will need to swap out pedal assemblies also as the 79 uses a direct pull cable and the svo uses the dog bone style.

The cross member is different also, as is the floor where the cross member bolts to the car, the early foxes had a narrower opening, I used the svo crossmember in mine but cut down the mounting area to fit the fox.

You might also want to look into different rear gears later on down the road as the later svo used 3.73 gears and I believe the 4 cylinder pace car used a 3.45 rear gear.

Good luck on your swap, it's not a hard job.
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shauncb View Post
    I didnt know the 2.3 carb turbo had a srod, mine had the rad 4 speed with no overdrive, the transmission will bolt to the same bellhousing, uses the same clutch as it's a 10 spline shaft.

Dont swap bellhousing, if you do you will need to swap out pedal assemblies also as the 79 uses a direct pull cable and the svo uses the dog bone style.

The cross member is different also, as is the floor where the cross member bolts to the car, the early foxes had a narrower opening, I used the svo crossmember in mine but cut down the mounting area to fit the fox.

You might also want to look into different rear gears later on down the road as the later svo used 3.73 gears and I believe the 4 cylinder pace car used a 3.45 rear gear.

Good luck on your swap, it's not a hard job.
    Thanks, I have a new Stiffler T-5 crossmember for a 1979 Fox Body. I did find out that the crossmember for 1979-1981 were different than the later Fox Body. Also I swapped in a Trac-Loc Rear end from a 1985 TurboCoupe so pretty sure the rear end gears are 3.55.

I did the swap on my daughters pace car. Just unbolt the old transmissiin and swap in the T-5. Same bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, starter, crossmember, mount. Had to use a 5.0L driveshaft as the T-5 was a little shorter and the 5.0L driveshaft was a little longer. Took a couple of hours for the swap. Also changed the speedo gear on the cable to make the speedometer accurate.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

Quote Originally Posted by 306gt View Post
    I did the swap on my daughters pace car. Just unbolt the old transmissiin and swap in the T-5. Same bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, starter, crossmember, mount. Had to use a 5.0L driveshaft as the T-5 was a little shorter and the 5.0L driveshaft was a little longer. Took a couple of hours for the swap. Also changed the speedo gear on the cable to make the speedometer accurate.
    I have the T5 in my carb turbo Pace Car now. Fit onto the bellhousing with no issue, along with the new SVO clutch, and flywheel. I did use a new Stifflers crossmember that fit in a '79. Haven't put the driveshaft in yet but that should happen this week. Then some exhaust work to clear the new driveshaft and new Maximum Motorsports panhard bar.