Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fuel injector calculator

So... this is mostly for xctasy but I would be interested in any thoughts...

My CFI 5.0 is now running really really well, but that has exposed the limits of the CFI and I am having some fun trying to squeeze the last bits out of it.

I have been tweaking the ignition system and the fuel pressure and have come to the conclusion that the poor thing is just running too lean pretty much across the whole sweep of the rpm range. Not dangerously lean but it wants more fuel. I started thinking about larger injectors but I have been finding stuff that makes me think that the fuel pressure could go higher.

Injectors and Fuel Supply (megamanual.com)

Assuming that I 'can' make about 230hp flywheel with my setup (probably much higher but not with CFI bore diameter), I should be pushing 60 psi into the injectors. Xctasy, do you think this is sane? Currently (well, today at least) I was pushing 44, which was doing better than 42. I drove 80 miles at 70mph today at 44psi and the engine was running warmer (before the engine was running a very cold 182ish, so that is a good thing) and the oil was behaving better as well (temp and recovery of pressure after highway speeds). That makes me think it wants more (I am assuming strange localized hot spots due to lean condition). The little lean miss was still there, but barely, at idle.

Watching the air fuel ratio while cruising, it is starting to spend pretty much equal time below 14.7 as above when cruising but still a little on the lean side. 16 mpg mixed driving with a very very very heavy foot. When it gets into a funk and drops to 13.5 at idle, it idles perfectly.

I am going to go for it this weekend when the temperatures come up a bit but any thoughts would be appreciated.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Oh, and the last dyno I did at 40psi had 172hp 232torque at the rear wheels, but that was with my old borked ignition system. I suspect it is 10 higher now, and the peak has been pushed into the high 4 to low 5k range compared to the mid 4ks before.
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Raising the pressure to 60 will make your 46lb inj (i think) act like 54 lb injectors at wot. 54x2x2=216 hp capable at 100% duty cycle using basic bsfc numbers. According to your dyno run, you are at about 215 flywheel now so the peak number you are wanting is within reach I would think.

I think your issue will be at idle or small pulse widths. If you research low slope, high slope and break point you will find that injectors act like a pinched off garden hose when first opened and flow MORE than their respective rating for a short period (low slope) then have their rated fuel flow after (high slope) the point at which they switch is the breakpoint.

The result in your case is the pcm will not be able to narrow up the pulse width enough to prevent a rich running condition since you are using mostly low slope flow rates during small pulses.

It should run better up top if more fuel is what you need. I am interested in seeing the results from your experiment this weekend.

Also consider that the fuel VOLUME from a pump will drop off drastically as pressure rates are increased. You might end up still not being able to supply the proper amount of fuel to the engine. You will need to put a pressure gauge on the engine and watch for pressure drop during a pull. Even 1 psi drop could show insufficient fuel volume.

Good luck!!
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Yeah, the more I think about it I believe the problem will be idle and closed loop cold start. The h.o. 5.0 has 52 pound injectors by the way, so the numbers work out a little better.

Well.... Did some mucking around this morning. Pushed it up to 60psi and I was actually really surprised. The closed loop cold start went down to 11:1, which was what I suspected, but as the engine warmed (within just a minute or two, but not to operational temp) the ratio improved pretty much like normal to about 12.5 or 13:1. At idle, the car had no problem with the 60psi and idled right at 14.7 like normal. However, it was too rich on acceleration, in fact way too rich. I think it was really exceeding the capacity of the venturi to bring air in.

Here it is at 60. Not really holding it WOT but you can see it get pretty rich.
    https://youtu.be/pBSk2u9ErV8

Dropped the pressure down to 52 psi and it seems to be happy.

Here is is at 52, tried to do a WOT 0-60 but she lost traction so I had to let off at the start a little:https://youtu.be/K144iItUmYg

Here it is cruising at 30:https://youtu.be/HiVQ3D3KuSM

I suspect it could take a little more pressure, maybe 55 but I am going to give this a go for a little bit and see what the plugs look like.

Name:  cfismall.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  786.1 KB

Sooo.... I think these comments are pretty much supported by what I have found..

"I think your issue will be at idle or small pulse widths. If you research low slope, high slope and break point you will find that injectors act like a pinched off garden hose when first opened and flow MORE than their respective rating for a short period (low slope) then have their rated fuel flow after (high slope) the point at which they switch is the breakpoint.

The result in your case is the pcm will not be able to narrow up the pulse width enough to prevent a rich running condition since you are using mostly low slope flow rates during small pulses.

It should run better up top if more fuel is what you need. I am interested in seeing the results from your experiment this weekend.
    "

I found that at WOT, the injectors were very responsive to the pressure change which goes along with people using this pressure regulator on turbos etc with some small mods.

However, at idle and cruise changing the pressure seems to have little effect. So little that my set up still runs a 'hair' leaner than it wants at idle although cruise is good now.

I have dropped it further since my last post, bringing it down to 48psi from the 52psi I was at before. Was still a hair too rich at WOT and there has been little effect at idle or cruise by turning it up.

That is some interesting results.

I am guessing that the VE at low rpm/load conditions is SO far off from the factory VE table as a result of your mods that the calculated fuel load will never be correct.

Is the factory O2 sensor in the stock location still? What kind of output does it show at idle? Is it by chance reading richer than it should driving the fuel trims lean?
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Interesting thought... The engines o2 sensor is pretty close to where it is stock, but I have those equal length shorty headers and bbk h pipes so it is hard to know if it is getting the signal it would have been expecting originally. The computer (before I got my gremlins under control) was normally warning me I was lean. I cleaned up the electrical issues and put in a good Motorcraft o2 sensor and those have been gone for a few months now. It has never warned me of a rich condition but I have not checked codes recently. I will try to do that as soon as I can get it out to warm up the engine.

Do you have a voltmeter to pin the sensor and read actual voltage?
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Yeah, but I don't want to put the car up to do it... Cold and rainy here... If it warms up a bit before the snow and road salt appear I can give it a shot.

Nothing to add. Sailor Bob is your go to man.

During open loop, it'll be fine.

Under closed loop, the twin injector Speed Density Keep Alive Memory scalas will crimp air fuel back to the values the Ford factory engineers set in place, the VE values.

It always comes back to this kludge.

You can modify injector supply by bumping up fuel pressure, but it'll always lean out under closed loop unless you

1. modify the water temperature or

2. dynamically change the O2 sensor inputs.

There is another ways around things. 3. Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

4. Pushing the system into open loop.

But the closed loop operation is locked on unmapped Box code HO 5.0 1984 to 1985 CFi's, and it reverts to its program.

Yeah, figured that would be the case. Funny thing is it seems to behave pretty well in closed loop.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Nothing to add. Sailor Bob is your go to man.

During open loop, it'll be fine.

Under closed loop, the twin injector Speed Density Keep Alive Memory scalas will crimp air fuel back to the values the Ford factory engineers set in place, the VE values.

It always comes back to this kludge.

You can modify injector supply by bumping up fuel pressure, but it'll always lean out under closed loop unless you

1. modify the water temperature or

2. dynamically change the O2 sensor inputs.

There is another ways around things. 3. Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

4. Pushing the system into open loop.

But the closed loop operation is locked on unmapped Box code HO 5.0 1984 to 1985 CFi's, and it reverts to its program.
    Actually, shouldn't it run worst on the base VE table in open loop being speed density? Closed loop is the only way for it to adjust to VE miscalculations through feed back from the O2 sensor. NOTE: As long as it is getting accurate feedback!

I haven't looked up anything in Binary Editor for ages but I do not recall there being a BIN file for the CFI cars. There may be by now though.

Having the ability to adjust for the VE changes made with cam/head/intake changes would be ideal for this situation.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

The problem with Pi55 and Dribble Throttle body EFi is the air fuel ratio balance. The Bosch injectors impinge on the throttle blade and set up a crazy flow distribution with a very poor roosters tail. So the anaylsis from Morse testing shows huge varinances in air fuel, and the open and closed loop info is thwarted by flow distribution. The fuel clip is controlled by a few scalas from Fords defined inputs. EGR and AIR hurt data logging...there are no activated PIDs, you have to sort out the whole sordid mess. Peter C from FoMoCo was the dyno guy on this HO engine and the 4V. From one source close to him before he died. The CFi, all of them, V6, V8, and also the 65000 pet year 1988 to 1991 EECiv 3.2 and 3.9 liter Australian OHC 135 to 165 hp in linr sixes....just s nasty flow dustribution to every cylindet.

Ford were glad to get rid of it. But the 5.0 HO CFi is the absolute honey of the beehive. It just needs some data logging to ensure the cylinders dont go ovet lean.

On my 1bbl 1.812 liter CFi Toyota, my dyno guy said that these 80s computers with TFi styke ignition are really simple. Play with keeping the closed loop but in open loop, you can pkay with the temperature sensors to keep it richer. Kelvin is a Antarctic Mechanic at Scott Base. When I did my Propane conversions from 1996 to 2001, he was the Kiwi guy doing EECV 4.6 Modular 2V Ford swaps. Once you can chassis dyno a CFi, and take a mental picture out on what the fuel system us doing to deliver gasoline, you can manually trim air fuel.

The limits always are that EECIV is a fuel management computer, with 5 or six inputs that have to be managed.

I have been monitoring the plugs before and after I started increasing and now decreasing the pressure but they don't tell me a whole lot, I can tell the distant plugs are leaner than the nearer plugs but not terribly so and all look lean but healthy.

When you say keeping closed in open... is that triggered by cold temps coming from the ect or does that 'impersonate' closed in open loop operation. Is the engine taking information from the sensors but running some kind of static table of fuel values? I notice when it is closed it sits dead on at 14.7 at idle with no swings, as soon as it goes open (I assume that is open) it starts to swing and that is when I get the lean miss (which I assumed was it self correcting using the 02 sensor).

The only difference between open loop and closed loop is the usage of the O2 senor input for fuel trim adjustment.

The vehicle is in open loop on cold start for anywhere from 2-5 minutes until the O2 sensor and coolant are hot on old 1 wire not heated O2 sensors like yours. Open loop means the ecm is ignoring the O2 sensor data.

ALL narrow band O2 cars are open loop at about 75% throttle and above (WOT) and many have open loop idle strategies as well because the O2 sensors cool off too much to be accurate. This is the time you have a smooth idle with no afr deviations. You must be close on VE at idle.

Closed loop is when the PCM believes what the O2 sensor tells it and adjusts fuel delivery accordingly. The afr is varied from slightly lean to slightly rich to allow the cat to store oxygen so it can do its converting of CO and HC and maybe NOX to CO2 and H2O this is the lean condition you are experiencing at idle when the afr is swinging.

What is odd with your car is the fact that it is going rich at higher load/rpm where you obviously have INCREASED VE. It should be UNDER calculating VE and running lean. Any restriction on the inlet will raise manifold vacuum and lean out the mixture as well. I am wonder if you are reading a false rich somehow or possibly pulling fuel thru the evap system.

It would be interesting to monitor MAP volts/frequency during a pull as well
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

Ahhh! I had the terms (open/closed) reversed. I wonder if my cats are causing an issue. Couldn't that explain the change in behavior? At low pressure the system might be fine but if the cats are restricted (or restricting it) it would force the system rich as rpms increase. I can't get to the dyno easily but maybe a temperature check on the cats might be a start.

Just did some more playing. Got it nice and warm and checked the cats. 90C at the inlet 140+C at the outlet so I think that looks good.

Codes are clear on KOEO but can't even pass the cylinder count on KOER. Just get a 0. Very strange. My manual doesn't explain what that means. Could it be the MSD distributor and TFI module?

Also, I notice it seems to rev limit at 5.8k (which is redline on the tac). Never knew these had a rev limiter but I guess it's possible. I guess it could be valve float but I kind of doubt it with my mild cam.

Moved her back to 44 psi and put the timing up to about +18 (still not sure my tdc mark is right). Seems to be running the best at these settings. AFR drops down to 11-12 under full throttle high rpm, idles and cruises perfectly. The timing really seems to make a difference. Drop it a few degrees lower than where it is at and I can really feel the loss of power. I really need to double-check that TDC on the balancer.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    Also, I notice it seems to rev limit at 5.8k (which is redline on the tac). Never knew these had a rev limiter but I guess it's possible. I guess it could be valve float but I kind of doubt it with my mild cam.
    5800 rpm was also the CFi 3.8 6 Vin code engine rpm limit, starting with the 1983 Ford Thunderbird Motor Trend tested at Dearborn. Sounds right. There is a limit set in EECIV. Wide open throttle drive Up changes are 4800 rpm with AODs, with the 2350 rpm stall converter. 4200 rpm with the 1650 stall in the Std Output. The AOD sets upchange rpm in drive, held 3-2 shuffle rpm in 2nd is defined by the SPOUT command.

Interesting. My AOD shifts at 5300ish 1-2 at full throttle and definitely goes 2-3 around 4800 (which sucks). I think somebody did something to my transmission before I bought it though. It shifts like lightning, the rear will break loose on the 1-2 shift with spirited acceleration. If you are doing a WOT acceleration it is pretty cool when the rear end slides sideways when it shifts. It also downshifts earlier than I am used to for an AOD (I used to have an 86 f150 with a 302 but that probably had the 1650 stall). Really works well for spirited driving like autocross. Not as good as being able to hold it in 2 (grr) but it does a good job.

For zero to 60 you really have to pull it back down into 1 to hold 2nd and get the best run.

Xctasy, any thoughts on that 0 code when it should tell me 8 cylinders on KOER? Could it be the MSD TFI? I am tempted to switch back to my trusty original motorcraft module, but I don't want to if I don't have to (saving it for when I know this one dies).

"https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiVyozjhsztAhW4z DgGHTqnBAUQFjAFegQIDhAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomco-inc.com%2FTech_Tips%2Fttt6.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3OAUWrnto b55wm5vbfqwpT"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ob55wm5vbfqwpT

KEOR It should pulse 4 times as per

http://www.amopower.com/eec-iv.htm

If not, you have non standard ignition. Which is correct in your case.

Ahhh.... I see. I assume the motorcraft module might be a good idea then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast