Close

Thread: Brake upgrade

Default Brake upgrade

Hi all, long backstory cut short, I had svo brake all around on my 79 pace car everything including brake booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve, I'm swapping to 97 cobra front brakes and sn95 rear brakes, will the stock proportioning valve work with this setup? I'm going to use sn95 hydroboost along with cobra master cylinder. Any body done this swap onto an svo or a car that had svo swapped brakes? I know I can always gut the proportioning valve and run an aftermarket one but I dont want to go that route if I dont have to.

Thanks for the help.
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!

The best option is to gut the stock proportioning valve and run the aftermarket adjustable. Proportioning valves are setup/tuned for the vehicle specifics. Once you start making major changes and/or swapping components from one vehicle to another that setup/tuning goes out the window.

A 1979 Mustang weighs somewhere between 2500 and 2800lbs depending on equipment, drivetrain, etc.

A 1997 Mustang Cobra weights somewhere around 3400+ lbs that alone throws off the proportioning valve setup/tuning. That doesn't even take into account weight distribution, center of gravity, and so much more. Just save yourself the time and headache and install the adjustable proportioning valve from the start. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

M1525 is 1” bore also and a direct fit on a normal foxbody brake line setup

I ran the svo setup and it worked good but I couldn't pass up the cobra brakes for $40, plus someone wanted the svo rear axle and brake setup so I swapped to an sn95 which to me is a big improvement with an 8.8 and being narrower than a svo rear.

So it's best just to gut the svo proportioning valve and run an adjustable unit? I'm not sure if all early foxes uses the same brake hose setup but in front of the passenger in the engine compartment there is a 90 block in the brake line going to the rear brakes, can I adapt into the proportioning valve there or does it need to be as close to the master cylinder as possible?
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!

The 79-81 IIRC, rear brake line runs inside the passenger compartment. The later model follows the same basic path, but runs outside and under the floor pan of the vehicle. You can run the Adjustable Prop Valve at the union for the rear brake line on the firewall. That is what I have done in the past, although lately, I just remove the OEM Prop valve under the M/C, install a T fitting for the front brake lines and plumb the Adjustable Prop Valve directly under the M/C. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller